FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New guy to the forum here! I have a SCAR 17s black that is probably my best rifle but I'm having a slight issue with it. this last weekend I went deep woods camping with some friends and I noticed that when I was using the gun with my suppressor that a blast of gas would tend to come into my right eye.

Is this normal for the gun? I was using the 10 o'clock position on the gas block and 100 yard accuracy was the usual 1/2 moa but I feel like gas should not be hitting me in the eye at every shot (had to put on googles to stop my eye from drying out) Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Yes you will get blowback unfortunately. I didn't notice it hitting me in the eye but I think that's because I always wear eye pro after being hit with shrapnel several times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh, is there any way to modify the gun or add something to it that can reduce this? I find it hard to be running around hillsides with glasses as they tend to fog or get moisture on them that interferes with visibility. What eye protection do you recommend? I currently just use a simple set of clear shotgun glasses......not ideal I know but I am looking to get something good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you plan on shooting more with the can on than off, one thing you could try, is to get a few different sized gas screws and gradually step down with the gas lock at 12 o clock position with out the can until the rifle is on the the verge of short stroking. But still functions normally (bolt hold open etc). Then with the can on, it will reduce some of the blowback.

Also, I once saw a gentleman make a "shield" out of kydex to put over the breach of his M1A to block the blowback. That being said, I'm sure if you found where the most blowback is coming from, you could attempt the same. Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts