FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to invite all FNAR owners who have returned their rifle to the factory for whatever reason to please write up a description of what the problem was. And describe what work they believe that FN performed. Then what were the results.

This would help us all to have a place to see if patterns of problems are recurring in specific areas. I know that I have read of several owners sending their rifle back for accuracy issues, and some for the misaligned scope rail. I have read postings for other issues as well.

My pet peeve on this rifle is the FN stated accuracy claims which were once printed on their website. Some people get this level of accuracy from the factory and many do not. So I am most curious to find out if the factory was able to help improve the inherent accuracy of your rifle? Gathering this type of information may help us all to realize common areas of concern with the platform and if solutions exist.

If you have previously posted this information on the forum, would you please take the time to cut and paste your information onto this thread? This will help us all have a collection point for reference purposes.

Thanks in advance to all who choose to spend time sharing their experiences, both the good and the bad!

Michael

·
Registered
183 Posts
Returned to FN for poor and inconsistent groups. Sent a very detailed description of issues and work done, such as bedding rail, etc. Also sent several of my targets in with gun.

Action: FN sent me a new gun. Generally, I think you get a new gun or there is no action taken.

Result: New gun is better, but not 1 MOA. I will post todays targets in the in search of 1 MOA thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man I have read all of the what's your best handload formula entries, and there are some seriously tight groups posted? and I am beginning to believe that I need to begin reloading.Truthfully I have been knowing that I need to start learning how to re-load. I know that many owners have bone stock rifles that shoot lights out. I just do not know why so many of us have less than precise rifles. What also confounds me is that one would think that by now FN would be able to fine tune whatever it is that produces so many marginal products.

I would be satisfied if the rifle was CONSISTENT between 1.5 & 1in. at 100 yards. I am planning another range session to focus on the FNAR only. I have a good 4.5 - 14x Vari X III on it and I should be able to dial in at least one of the dozen off the shelf rounds that I have. If the results are again less than consistent I may send it in to FN with targets for them to do something.

THANKS for your posting!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Keep reading all the posts you can. Lot's of good info.

As far as handloading, it will definately produce the best possible results, for many different reasons.

The bummer to me is that a high end bolt gun will shoot 0.5 MOA groups consistently with a few different factory match loads. I just wanted the FNAR to shoot 1 MOA consistently. I dont see that happening for me currently.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can not copy and paste and normal typing today sucks as the site is FUBAR. Have to load attachments.

Attachments

Reactions: Whitesheep

·
Registered
280 Posts
Copied & Pasted Cewrix7r1's comment

Can not copy and paste and normal typing today sucks as the site is FUBAR. Have to load attachments.
Here is cewrx7r1's document:
I tired about 15 brands and weights of ammo before getting to 1 MOA. It took a muzzle brake and trigger job to get below 1 MOA at 100 yards.

Gun stopped firing, pull the trigger and nothing would happen. Happened when the gun only had about 200 rounds through it. Being very new to the weapon, I did not know the internals that well.

They replaced the trigger assembly, and said the stock long retaining bolt was bent like the gun had been dropped on the butt stock pad. I did not see that when I changed out the butt pads and removed the stock.

Had the trigger pull modified and the gun shot well for over a year.
Then the same problem reoccurred. Took out the trigger assembly to check it out and found the problem. The stock retaining long bolt was either too long or the stock length a little too short. Where the bolt comes through the end receiver it pressed and deformed the plastic trigger assembly box and this jammed the mechanism.
I added a spacer washer on the long bolt, ground off the deformed plastic, and this permanently fixed the problem and what caused it.

FNH fixed only the problem, not the cause.

Wow, this is new information I have not encountered before. Would you care sharing your date of build? I am thinking the '09's are an issue and I own one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did you all see the pictures on pages 2 and 3 of my document?

Serial 319MN01469 Bought in 2009.

·
Registered
280 Posts
No Pictures

Did you all see the pictures on pages 2 and 3 of my document?

Serial 319MN01469 Bought in 2009.
No pictures in the Gun stopped firing.doc. What browser are you using? This site works fine with Chrome and Firefox. MN's from '09 appear to be a problem, sorry.

·
Registered
130 Posts
IE11, pages 2 and 3 of the word document.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I just sold off my last FNAR, but took it to the range with the new buyer to demonstrate the functionality.

Shot consistent half-inch 3-shot groups at 50yds from bench.

Just another data point to say a number of these do function exactly as promised from FN. Sorry to all those not getting results as expected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first FNAR shot good groups too. They just were way off to the left and @ 100 yards with my scope turned all the way to the right my holes were 18'' to the left. The second FNAR they sent me the scope rail went off to the right just like the first one. I didn't even waist a bullet with it. boxed it up and sent it back. They cant fix, just like they couldn't fix the first oneso now I am on the waiting list for another new one. They told me not to worry, this one is going to be checked out before it gets shipped.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why Sold?

I just sold off my last FNAR, but took it to the range with the new buyer to demonstrate the functionality.

Shot consistent half-inch 3-shot groups at 50yds from bench.

Just another data point to say a number of these do function exactly as promised from FN. Sorry to all those not getting results as expected.
Hi Performity, why did you sell your FNAR if it was such a good shooter for you? I see you have a 17S. Did the 17S replace the FNAR? If I can't get my FNAR to work, I am going to find a 7.62X51 automatic that will and a 17S is on the list. Gas piston AR-10's are also on the list or maybe even a La Rue even though it is not a piston gun. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The GA Precision AR-10s are proven to be shooting really well and consistent. They are expensive though. I have a GAP bolt action and it is the best shooting rifle I have ever had.

The accuracy guarantee on the AR-10 isnt too inspiring, but I would bet there is no better semi-auto 308 (LaRue being maybe equal accuracy wise, but no guarantee).

The G.A. Precision GAP-10 (AR-10) rifle is guaranteed to shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards with match grade ammunition. The G.A. Precision GAP-10 (AR-10) rifles will normally shoot better than our guarantee , consistent shooter position is extremely critical when shooting a semi-automatic. With practice a skilled shooter can run a semi auto with the same precision as a bolt rifle.

PS: Im close to selling my FNAR, but I want to find it's replacement first. I really, really didnt want another AR style rifle, but there are not many accurate options.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi Performity, why did you sell your FNAR if it was such a good shooter for you? I see you have a 17S. Did the 17S replace the FNAR? If I can't get my FNAR to work, I am going to find a 7.62X51 automatic that will and a 17S is on the list. Gas piston AR-10's are also on the list or maybe even a La Rue even though it is not a piston gun. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Sorry just saw this.

Yeah, i found I had no need or desire to shoot the FNAR once I got the SCAR 17S.

I have a FN A5M for long range precision 7.62 work, and between the SCAR 17S and the A5M the FNAR just didn't really fit a specific niche for me anymore. I decided I'd rather have another NFA item than the FNAR just taking up room in the safe :)

I think the FNAR is a great gun and if I didn't have (and love) the SCAR 17S and the A5M the FNAR would be a great single gun that could do most of what both of those do well (just not as well as either, obviously).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts