FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that the 5.7 round will not penetrate a skull. that all though one blaze of a headache no penetration will accrue? I'd like to carry my 5.7 W/195 AMMO for a carry weapon but now hesitate. Does anyone have good info on this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, that's BS. Simple, many times people just make crap up.

I don't know how much BS is out there regarding the 5.56. If you want proof take some different materials to the great outdoors and blast away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In fact, the 5.7 round won't even break the skin! :lol:

22 long rifle will go through a skull, so 5.7 shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason for my concern is that a friend of a friend (not that I agree with what he did but he did it so) said that he tried to put down his dying dog by shooting it in the head with his 5-7 and it bounced off/ did not penetrate. Yah it was a dumb thing to do I didn’t do but it raised questions.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Esteves said:
David said:
The reason for my concern is that a friend of a friend (not that I agree with what he did but he did it so) said that he tried to put down his dying dog by shooting it in the head with his 5-7 and it bounced off/ did not penetrate. Yah it was a dumb thing to do I didn’t do but it raised questions.
Sounds like a gunshop story. If it bounced, he probably had a glancing shot. Skulls are tough, and some dogs can be tougher than people.

yah I am calling BS on this the 5.7x28 in no way would have bounced off..

·
Registered
18 Posts
David said:

The 'friend of a friend' deal doesn't sound very credible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Skull bounce

So skulls are tougher then balistic kevlar?...

Some one alert the military, they sure are wasting a bunch of money on helmets for nothing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've read a number of police reports over the years where handgun rds have failed to penetrate the human skull at close range. The two that come to mind are a .25ACP FMJ that just imbedded slightly in the front of the skull and a .45ACP FMJ that hit the front of the skull but then followed the curve of the skull under the skin, exiting at the rear. Left a helluva nasty looking surface wound a the front, the EMT's on the scene thought the guy was dead for sure until he started moaning.
Handgun bullet not penetrating a dog's skull? I believe it's plausible depending upon the dog (ie: size/thickness of skull), the handgun rd used and the angle of the bullet.
Tomac

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANKS TOMAC VERY HELPFUL INFO. MEMBER548 =KEEP IN MIND I WROTE IT WAS A "195" CIVILIAN USE NOT THE MILITARY AP "190" WISE GUY

·
Registered
636 Posts
Tomac said:
I've read a number of police reports over the years where handgun rds have failed to penetrate the human skull at close range. The two that come to mind are a .25ACP FMJ that just imbedded slightly in the front of the skull and a .45ACP FMJ that hit the front of the skull but then followed the curve of the skull under the skin, exiting at the rear. Left a helluva nasty looking surface wound a the front, the EMT's on the scene thought the guy was dead for sure until he started moaning.
Handgun bullet not penetrating a dog's skull? I believe it's plausible depending upon the dog (ie: size/thickness of skull), the handgun rd used and the angle of the bullet.
Tomac

I also have heard those storys also 25acp /45acp both are very slow rounds by nature.... in fact there was a dog intown that charged an officer it was shot with a faster 9mm right in the head turned around and ran half a block before it died.... so ok its is maybe a fluke but i would bet if he put it to his own head it would pop like a mellon :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've worked in a courthouse that handles about 120,000 misdemeanor and felony arraignments a year. Basically I'm saying that I've seen a lot of people come through the doors for arraignments. In roughly 12 years, I've seen 2 individuals brought in with bullet holes in both the front and back of their heads....the bullet having traveled in between the skull and scalp for the entire ride. One was shot with .25ACP and the other with .32ACP. Both guys had the entrance wound in the upper forehead with the exit at the back of the head, about an inch or two above the hairline. I'm guessing they felt extremely lucky to be having bail afixed (as opposed to being in the morgue). I also know of one officer who was shot point blank in the forehead with a .38 Special who had the exact same thing happen. There are countless hospital arraignments done where the defendant is too screwed up to make it to the courthouse. I've heard of some of these persons also having similar experiences, but as I was not there to see this, I can only relate what I've been told.

5.57x28 I don't know!!!

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Re: Skull bounce

member548 said:
So skulls are tougher then balistic kevlar?...

Some one alert the military, they sure are wasting a bunch of money on helmets for nothing.
Is it just me or does anyone else here understand the difference between "kevlar" penatration and "hard solid object" penatration?
I sure hope everyone else here doesn't think like 548...

You do realise a knife doing a 5fps will penatrate "balistic kevlar" too...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK Gents and Ladies
I got the info I needed first hand up close and personal. I bought 6 Javelina heads from a local Taxidermist. From 7 yards the 195 hollow pt full penetration in the front and out the back not excessive wound cavity but good, about the size from a quarter but not as large as a half dollar consistently. The 196 red tip and 197 blue tip penetrated the front skull and turned the brain to mush, popping eyes. Also good damage/ fragment to the entry wound area, I don’t know if it is from back splash but defiantly good skull damage. Thanks everyone for your input. DAVID :lol: :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
huh?

"Is it just me or does anyone else here understand the difference between "kevlar" penatration and "hard solid object" penatration?"

Huh... You mean the current issue US helmet isn't a solid object?

I guess soldiers just have funny shaped heads to make their cloth kevlar beanie look that funny shape.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts