FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy bought a Hellcat and we compared them at the range today. Both of us shot the Springfield low, consistently at all distances. The Ruger Security Nine Compact Pro won the shooting, and then we compared size and feel. The Ruger is about 1/2 inch longer and a 1/4 inch taller (according to my calibrated eye). The Ruger has a slightly wider grip, and when I told him the 15 round magazines from the "Full Sized" Security Nine fit it, and with a little plastic "adapter" it makes the grip smooth. Both have Night Sights... Then I told him what I paid for it, and he couldn't believe me. $152.00 less than he paid for the Hellcat. We both voted the Ruger the winner including feel, even tho it was a little bigger. He asked me if I wanted to trade. I told him NO, I wouldn't trade either one of mine for the hellcat, then he was pissed that I have 2 of them... What are friends for ??? LOL WINNER _ Ruger Security Nine Compact Pro !!! SCAR'd Mike - US Army Pistol Team 1974 - 1977 (Your Mileage May Vary !!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the different sized Magazines in the Compact Pro: 10 round Flat Base, 10 round with Pinky extension, 15 round with the plastic grip extension piece to smooth the grip, instead of just having the magazine stuck in there sticking out:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
After I shot my ladder in 35F temp I stepped over to the pistol side and put 4 dead center of a diamond target with my Shield 9mm 2.0 147 gr HST. What does that have over the Shield and HST? Just Curious? With the discount the Shields were going for $250. $130 less than you paid.

Also If I was to buy today; I would have a hard time passing up on A Sig P365 or others. Don't get me wrong, I like Ruger in 22LR but in almost any other caliber O think there are better options. Usually for less.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I like the fact the Ruger Security 9 is a hammer fired pistol that shoots like a striker fired gun. I've got a friend with the larger sized Security 9. Man it shoots great, and love how it ejects the casings two counties over lol. I do wish the Security 9 didn't have the pin that needs to be removed to separate the upper and lower, and would like to see a better finish on the slide...I hope Ruger continues this line of thought with the hammer fired / striker styled pistols. I've never seen the Security 9 taken apart any further than for basic cleaning, and do wonder if there is a degree of ease and common sense with the way it was built and comes apart. I love my Smith and Wesson 2.0 pistols, but to have to remove the rear sights, and a pin to punch out to remove the extractor, I'm not sure they can reach king of the hill status for myself personally. But they shoot great ! Nice comparison between the Hellcat and Ruger though. Any more, how a pistol disassembles for a deep cleaning plays a pretty big role in my decisions of preference. Thanks for posting the comparison vid !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe the Hellcat has combat sight pic if both of you shot it low. Did you consider that? I’m curious because I’m shopping for one, possibly.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
ohh yes I almost forgot. I DO like the hammer fired over striker. It definitely has that in its favor.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the Hellcat has combat sight pic if both of you shot it low. Did you consider that? I’m curious because I’m shopping for one, possibly.
Thanks for the input, but I am 63 years YOUNG and have shot just about everything, and was a good enough shot to make it onto the Army Pistol Team. Something is either wrong with his particular pistol, or just like the FNX-45's I had, I can't shoot them accurately. (and neither can my buddy). I sold 3 plain FNX-45's and the Tactical one also, they just wouldn't hit where I was aiming. This is one of my Kimbers yesterday at 30 feet. First shot, I figured I should just quit after the first shot, it wasn't going to get any better.:-D:shock::lol:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts