FN Herstal Firearms banner

Do you intend to take advantage of the FNAR's ability to shoot other caliber rounds?

• Yes, I intend to use this fine piece for multiple purposes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I will just get all up in the .308 lifestyle.

• I'm STILL an undecided voter. (shoot me)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
_____I heard of this rifle only today on a Gun Talk broadcast. The reason I am interested in this is that a rep from FN says that the future will bring FN offering a great feature for the FNAR.
_____He said that with just a barrel change, you can shoot .243, .338 and other calibers, including magnums.
_____That is why I want one, but I just read all the posts in here today, and no one mentioned it. Can anyone tell me more about this, esp. calibers?

_____Again, hello to all the members!

Tweaker (of Trans Ams, brain cells, and nipples, not meth)

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Welcome!

This is the first I've heard of it. I wouldn't think it would be able to accept magnum cartridges with the mag well being pretty well set in the .308 range. As long as the cartridge has similar length and cartridge base width, I could see the possibility of just swapping barrels. I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea, this is the first I have heard of this as well. Whats up with the symbols in the post lol :evil:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello everyone......Checked out the Gun talk website where he talked about the FNAR. No magnums due to the cartridge length. He does go on to say that different calibers(223, 243, and so on) will be available with just a barrel swap....Cant wait!!!! 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
_____I am about to buy a DPMS lower receiver in .308, but this FNAR would be mo betta if I could shoot other calibers. Only problem is the price tag. I intended to buy the lower now and build the rest after I got more fundage.

_____The symbols are paragraph indentations. Posts always delete them. I guess since I spent/wasted to much time in grammar school, I don't want to be denied use of em.

_____Lock and (Re)Load, Osama Obama is comin!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Tweaker said:
_____I am about to buy a DPMS lower receiver in .308, but this FNAR would be mo betta if I could shoot other calibers. Only problem is the price tag. I intended to buy the lower now and build the rest after I got more fundage.

_____The symbols are paragraph indentations. Posts always delete them. I guess since I spent/wasted to much time in grammar school, I don't want to be denied use of em.

_____Lock and (Re)Load, Osama Obama is comin!
"mo betta?" And you spent how much time in grammar school? :-D
It's always nice to have people who know how to write well. I'd also like an FNAR, but alas, tuition comes first. Next summer, when I'm done with school and get my tuition reimbursement from work, I might pick one up if I don't get a 1911.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like more information on this, look likes a pretty good idea...I have taken mine apart and it seems like it would work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reality check time. Even if swap barrels become available and the gun is engineered to allow this, which seems unlikely but not impossible, it would only work for cases based on the .308 rim and length and not other sizes or the bolt would also have to be swapped. So forget belted magnums, .223 based cases and so forth. Longer cases with the same rim also would not work as the action is engineered for the .308 length of about 2 inches so forget .30/06 based cases, WSMs, etc while you're at it.

I doubt there is reality to this but if someone from FN said otherwise then that would be meaningful. Till then this is just hot air.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How about a .243 chambered for and can feed 115 grain DTAC’s reliably? You can sign me up for one of those in a heartbeat.

Does anyone know if FN has a custom shop that can do this kind of thing?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts