FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, glad I found this forum. New owner of a FNAR, just purchased this past Saturday, but I have a slight issue. Purchased the gun with a "Leupold" Mark 4 illuminated scope for $1682 (after tax). Was very excited about my purchase till I started researching the scope more...what I thought was a Leupold is most certainly a clone. I have contacted the seller and he is willing to work with me... I can: A) return the entire package for a full refund. While at the show I purchased an extra mag and a small amout of ammo. I have not asked him if he will also purchase the mag from me. Or B) I can return the scope for a refund of $60. That is what he tells me he paid for it, so I have no doubt it is counterfeit.

He says he did not know the scope was a fake. I find that a bit hard to believe, especially after he tells me he bought 4 from a supplier for $60 each. I feel stupid for not knowing the trademark Leupold marks on a scope, and didn't know Leupold clones were even out there. I am obviously very disappointed to find out what I thought was too good a deal to be true really was. I am torn between returning the whole package and saving my money, or getting refunded for the fake scope. Then I still have to find quality glass for it, which I assume will cost me at least $200 just to get me started shooting the rifle.

Oh yeah, I have to make my decision fast. The seller advises me if I want to return the whole package, due to gun sales laws we have to meet this Friday.....

Please help!! All advice as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Is the FNAR a great gun? A mediocore gun? In the current gun situation, do you think I made a decent buy in my purchase of the gun (obviously I know what you're going to say about the scope).

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
keep it. Return the scope. Your'e lucky to even have found an FNAR right now. Provided it is one. Pictures please. and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Seems like the market is about 1500 for that gun....I would keep it and look at buying and upgraded scope around Christmas.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kameron,
Thanks for your quick response. Can't do pics right yet, but it is a FNAR. It is the complete package w/ FN case, extra buttpads and cheekpieces, FNAR owners book etc. Are there fake FNARs out there floating around too??? I admit, I hadn't done my research on this weapon, but when I saw it I got interested real fast.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks, keep it coming.... Those of you who own this weapon....how do they shoot? Are the finicky?? I have done some reading and research online, but need folks to throw me as much info as possible fast since I need to make a decision soon.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
From all the owners here that is an outstanding weapon capable of great feats of accuracy (in capable hands) though dissambly and and reassembly can be a biatch to get used to once you got it, it sticks with you. Keep that rifle and put a good piece of glass on it. There are a few for sale here or you can probably get it on a bunch of websites because that's not one of the things people are hoarding right now...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello and welcome. Hold onto the FNAR, but return the scope. At least you should be able to find another scope you want with ease. The liberals haven't gone after those yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just called FN to run the serial number and make sure everything is legit with the gun. It is legit. I wasn't sure if it was the standard or heavy version. Customer service informed me that is is the standard (20"). It being a standard barrel change any opinions?

·
Banned
596 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowGixxer85
Hello and welcome. Hold onto the FNAR, but return the scope. At least you should be able to find another scope you want with ease. The liberals haven't gone after those yet.
What he ^ said...)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
:welcomesigntb3:aboard !

·
Registered
941 Posts
$1600 ($1682-$60 for the scope) was high for a FNAR before all of the panic buying started. Up until early December you could find a FNAR 20" standard for the $1000-1100 range pretty easily. The 20" heavy (the only one that is currently being made in 20") has been going for around $1500 since it was introduced, with very few "deals" to be had. I have not been checking around on them since the panic buying started, but I think at $1600 you did not do too bad since the price of the $1000 AR-15's went up way more than $600. I would keep the gun and do what you want about the scope. The FNAR 20" standard will group .5-.75 inches at 100 yards all day long with some decent glass on it. Get a press and start loading your own ammunition, and you can shoot the .308 for less $ than you can buy .223 off the shelf for. I am loading match grade ammo for about $.32 a round with recycled brass. Once the panic buying ends finding new brass will not be difficult as .308 is not as popular as .223.

·
Registered
127 Posts
well you got taken...but if the optic works then why get rid of it? Use it to practice and have fun until you can afford another. AS a side note, no one in the firearms business can think hes getting a real Leupold Mark 4 for $60...no one! He marked it as a Leupold and he absolutly knew that it wasnt!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions.

live4speed...yeah, that's what I was thinking. I def got took....I thought about keeping the fake, but then I figure it will crap out on me and if I return I can at least put the $60 towards a real scope. I haven't shot the FNAR or tried the scope on another gun...who knows it might be 'decent'...but still it's the pricnciple.

I guess if this whole "assualt weapon" hype craze passes, I may regret paying what I did when all the guns come back down. But then I'm wondering if that will ever happen....million dollar question...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Keep the FNAR and throw the scope off a cliff so someone else doesn't get took like you did.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After tomorrow you'll know how good of a deal you got. Maybe you got the deal of a lifetime and won't be able to buy one on Thursday.:(!):

If the scope works why take only $60.00 for it? See how it works before you decide it is crap. I would remount any scope I bought as a package to be sure there is a good mount, check the torque, lap the rings, etc. Biggest concern is if it is built to take the recoil of the .308. Won't know until you try. Is there a manufacturers name anywhere on it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello, and welcome!
Coming from a bolt-action-deer-hunting background...I was very skeptical about the claims made of the FNAR accuracy...until I shot mine.
The FNAR is all that and a bag of chips! Follow the same advice I'm following: Get quality match or military ammo while you still can, save up for some good 12+ magnification glass, get an extra mag or two (if and when you can).
Don't consider getting rid of it for anything! We may never be able to get another down the road.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, the name on the scope is the problem. It says Leupold Mark 4 4-12x40 M4. But whoever built the counterfeit didn't put anything else on there. No Leupold medallion and no serial number with data matrix barcode on bottom....I did not know those were Leupold trademarks to look for.

The supplier says I can return the scope at a later date if it is in new condition. So I just might try it out, just so I can put some lead down range, till I can get better glass. I think the scope should be able to handle a few rounds and be in "new condition"......

I can't spend a ton of money on a scope, so Trijicon, NF and the like are way out of the question. Heck I can't even afford Nikons M308. Can anyone recommend a scope under $300? I know some of you will laugh at that, but that's where I'm at right now. Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts