FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between two choices and would love to hear some more thoughts on the subject. I had my heart set on a 1.5x24 ACOG to mount on my new PS90, but now after being directed to research another product and thinking about the Tri Power as a second option. Which would you choose? The compact ACOG or a Tri Power?? And why? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
TheBadGuy said:
I am torn between two choices and would love to hear some more thoughts on the subject. I had my heart set on a 1.5x24 ACOG to mount on my new PS90, but now after being directed to research another product and thinking about the Tri Power as a second option. Which would you choose? The compact ACOG or a Tri Power?? And why? Thanks in advance
How do you plan to use your PS90? Remember that's it's effective range is only 200 m. If it's less than 50 m, I would go with a Aimpoint/EOTech/SomeotherbrandofHeadsUpDisplay system. Past that, the ACOG is VERY nice, in fact that 1.5x24 would probably suit the all around bill.

The only think you have to really worry about is the height when it's mounted. I think EVERYTHING is high, except for some of the autopistol sights (for Glock, XD, HK, etc.). Someone told me his worked great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be used in a short/medium range capacity. I figured both the ACOG and the Tri Power would be well suited for it. I would mount either optic the same way using a forum members invented mount for the ACOG. It replaces the stock sight and allows for mounting m16 carry handle style optics lower than a aftermarket rail system would have them. The ACOG fits right to this mount and the tri power has an ARMS mount that would interact with the low profile mount

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sights

That sounds like a sweet setup. Can you turn me on to where I can get that mount?

Anyway you can "test drive" either of those sights?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
TheBadGuy said:
Stay away from them both. The TX is really weak (forget about seeing the chevron at high noon against light objects), tritium in it is useless and battery life sucks. (aimpoint is superior in that price range).

ACOG is overkill (more suited for M4 type weapons with longer reach).

IMHO.

-TH

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the CHEAP eotechs? NcStar Halo's? I figured for $40 bucks it would be worth it to try out. If it doesn't work out, I have a Trijicon to put on it.

I'll be honest, my brother has one of the knockoff aimpoints mounted on his AK, and the thing flat out works and keeps it's zero. I was DAMN impressed by the performance of it! So I know the first reply is going to be, "You get what you pay for", but for the range, something that is durable enough for travel, and keeps its zero is good enough for me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thermallator said:
TheBadGuy said:
Stay away from them both. The TX is really weak (forget about seeing the chevron at high noon against light objects), tritium in it is useless and battery life sucks. (aimpoint is superior in that price range).

ACOG is overkill (more suited for M4 type weapons with longer reach).

IMHO.

-TH
I own the Tripower and haven't had any sort problem that you speak of. Perhaps you experimented with the first run, plastic cased tripower that had problems? The new al. cased Tripower is an awesome optic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up ordering a third generation Tri Power yesterday. I picked up a ARMS 16 mount for it and will use that in conjunction with Martin's low profile mount and will post pictures when I have it mounted.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I like the cheapies - hell if they last a year it fine
you can replace one each year for 20 years before you match the price on some of the expensive optics.

I have a cheap $30 BSA red dot on my Cx4 Storm that works like a charm

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Don't anyone knock the $30 BSA red dot. It is actually a pretty good sight. I have one (its not mounted on any gun though) and I think its a better sight than others in its price range. Everyone I've heard that has one likes them, and they are cheap enough to replace many times. I plan to mount my BSA on a gun someday.....

·
Registered
857 Posts
like i said - i like the cheapies

I just can't see spending $600 - $800 on a sight when i am not in the military or law enforcment. I would rather spend the money on another gun. Now if i used the weapon everyday and my life depended on it, that's a diferent story. But for plinking at the range - i go with the cheapie everytime.

I wonder if i can get the bsa mounted on the PS90 by dirlling and tapping some new holes. Might be worth a look

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, MPF has the cheapest mounting rail I have seen - U can buy one of those and throw it on that rail - not THAT expensive.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yea, I've seen those on another forum. They are airsoft knockoffs, right?

They are okay for ONLY a range gun, I suppose.

·
Registered
980 Posts
between TripPower and ACOG go ACOG. I have the TriPower and sometimes the chevron washes out. (this happens when you are in the shade and shooting into a brightly lit area).

·
Registered
35 Posts
After a long desision process i went with the Trijicon Tri Power and ARMS throw lever mount mated with a Halo tri rail for my Green PS90. Battery power chevron, natural light power collector and Tritium as a back up was way over the top. I recently bought a Black PS90 and i belive i will keep it with the stock sight or a possible upgrade to the USG / USSS sight for weight concerns and KISS reasons. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts