FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have It is about time for a new rifle and I think I've decided on an an AK because ARs are boring and anything else is too expensive. I have $1000 budget and I am looking at 545 caliber (the ammo is STILL cheap)

There are a lot of makers out there so I'm hoping to get a better idea of what to look at.

P.S. Absolutely NO CENTURY ARMS

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
P.S. Absolutely NO CENTURY ARMS
You are off to a great start already! :)

If you want a nice "Factory" AK stick with Arsenal, or VEPR. if you want High, High end, check out Krebs, or Rifle Dynamics, or seek out some other custom builder.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts

Krebs Custom KV-13
FEATURES: This new VEPR-based model comes with: Krebs Custom 4-Prong Flash suppressor, Krebs Custom UFM “Key-Mod” Rail Fore-End, Krebs Custom Enhanced Safety, “SAW” grip, Krebs Custom rear sight with AR-15 rear sight parts and Rapidex windage knob, and a custom rear sight base with provision for “gross” windage adjustment, Krebs Custom buttstock adapter, ACE folding stock mechanism, & Magpul CTR collapsing buttstock. The latest design from Krebs Custom.

Caliber: 7.62x39mm
System of Operation: Gas
Cyclic Rate: Semiautomatic
Barrel: 16"
Weight: 8Lbs
Overall Length 25.75 / 38"
Magazine: 30rd Box

Krebs Custom KV-13 | Shooting Illustrated

Krebs Custom KV-13 View attachment 27300

You are off to a great start already! :)

If you want a nice "Factory" AK stick with Arsenal, or VEPR. if you want High, High end, check out Krebs, or Rifle Dynamics, or seek out some other custom builder.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I would get the sig patrol rifle, sig's version of the ak. Though I believe it to only be available in 5.56 and 7.62/39

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
He's wanting a 5.45 caliber rifle. The Tantal has fairly good reviews. CAI has made improvements on this gun over the past few years.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you are a Tinkerer I would recommend one of AK-builders Barreled Kits . I have Bulgarian Kit with a Chrome Lined US barrel I got from them. I built it on a Nodak Reciever. It is amazingly accurate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Arsenal. I have never been let down by my SGL-21.
This. Unfortunately they don't make/import the SGL series rifles anymore BUT the SLR series is just as good, if not better. I used to have a SGL and now have a SLR-107, both are fantastic rifles. Finish is a little better on the SLR and the SLR BCG is the standard AK47 carrier rather than the proprietary Saiga BCG.

It depends what you want to do with the rifle, but I don't see any practical advantage to a milled receiver carbine length AK variant. Happy hunting!

Here's a pic of my SLR-107FR, the 5.45 version is the SLR-104:

B71F389A-E4EC-4AB3-A830-B2056BE6CBF1_zpszdikbkui.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts