FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ego tells me that I can smoke and grill the heck out of anything that was living at one time.

I have never cooked a prime rib in the oven. My smoker is stuffed with turkeys and pheasant, so
I am forced to do it for the first time in the oven. Any help would be appreciated.

It is a little over 9 lbs, and had already been dry aged for a few days from the meat market.

I already have a rub for it. From what I read, I should cook it uncovered at 500 deg for
7 minutess per lb for medium rare, then turn off the oven and let it sit in the oven for two hours
without opening it where the internal temp will rise between 130 -135 deg. My only problem
is that my meat thermometer wire is only rated to 392 deg. I am unable to leave the thermometer
wire exposed in the oven at 500 deg that I am unable to open for two hours.

If anyone has any advice, or a different way of cooking it please let me know.

Prime Rib 1.jpg Prime Rib 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My wife just cooked a 6lbs prime rib...

pre heat the oven to 500, rub and cook the meat uncovered for 45 min, then turn the oven off and let sit in the oven for 2 hours without opening the door.

Ours came out a perfect med rare.

BTW, the times are for your 9 pounder.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The best way to cook prime rib in the oven is:
1. A long, long roast at the lowest temperature setting your oven will allow until center internal temp is somewhere in the neighborhood of 120-121F or so (note: it could take a while to achieve this depending on roast size, your oven's lowest allowable temp, etc.);
2. Remove and let rest while you bring your oven to its maximum temperature;
3. Return to oven for 8 to ~15 minutes for perfect carmelization.
See this for the general idea:
The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Sorry, my culinary skills peaked at cold cereal (I make a mean bowl of Cap'n Crunch).

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you're going to attempt to cook this succulent piece of beef without being under the influence of alcohol, then you are a no-go at this station. I recommend a hearty Belgian ale like Chimay or an American interpretation such as Brother Theolonious or PranQster. The Class VI out on Yadkin usually had a better selection than the one over by the Old PX/Commissary by Butner Gate.

As far as the beef goes, leave the prime rib out at room temperature for 2 hours (to thaw). Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. When the oven is hot, put the roast in and cook for 20 minutes to sear the outside of the roast. After 20 minutes turn the oven down to 325 degrees F. and roast until the desired internal temperature is reached. For medium-rare this will take approximately 15 minutes per pound.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I put my prime rib in a Ronson rotisserie oven, stuff some garlic in it and "forget it" as the commercial states. Comes out great!
How's that Ronson working out for you? I've seen them advertised but never have met anyone that has one.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
How's that Ronson working out for you? I've seen them advertised but never have met anyone that has one.
Works great. Put some foil in the pan, skewers through the meat, close the door and set the timer. Meat comes out juicy. Have cooked many prime rib roasts in mine. Also, you get a nice brown crust on the outside. Easy clean up too. ( I am not a stockholder, just a satisfied user).

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I like mine rare and pink with juices flowing. Usually 1 hour at 450, then sit for 2. The meat will continue to cook itself as long as you don't open the oven. 10 more minutes of heat prior to meal to warm up then slice and enjoy. If your not a souse chef, McCormick's makes an easy Au Jois sauce mix that's not bad.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Key is low and slow.

Reactions: Green Beret

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
If you really need help... I'm a very experienced PR cook.
I don't agree with 500 ????
You need a GOOD thermometer & a Broiling Pan ( 2 part pan )
Season with Garlic powder, pepper, salt, dehydrated onions. All 6 sides rub in....
Using a broiling pan, add 1/4" of water in bottom, and place meat on top of slotted cover.
Cook at 400 for 30 minutes.
Turn oven down to 300, cook 20 min per pound ( at 300 ) ( approx )
About 1/2 hour ( before per your estimation), place thermometer in middle of meat.
Check quickly, if you have to have someone work the door while you get the roast in & out ( as not to lose heat ) do it.
128-132 Rare.... check for other temps & meat " doneness " levels on line.
Once you reach your temp ???? pull the PR out, cover with aluminum foil & a dish towel and let sit for at least 20-30 minutes. MUST let the meat rest or if you cut it ,,, the juices will run out and your left w/ shat. dry shat...

I nwill post pics of mine later on today...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
What time is Dinner?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Fire up the grill, sharpen the 9# Blade, slice between ribs and grill to order......jmho...Merry Xmas.....or Cover in rock salt crust, bake at 400 15 minutes for every pound. take out let stand and knock the salt crust off....sounds nuts but its so good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Set a conventional oven @ 350, or convective @ 325. For medium rare, cook the roast for 20 minutes/lb plus 20 minutes. It never fails.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts