Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting FNP. Which should I get ?

Purpose: Conceal Carry. My primary for the past 3 years is a customized Kimber ultra CDP II. As much as I like it (and I will keep her) I need something with more firepower. 7+1 Does not cut it anymore.

I have carried HK USP .40 compact before for 2 years. Don't care for it. I have carried my Glock 19 - and sometimes still do. I just prefer cocked and locked - period. Carried CZ 75B, 85B - too heavy. CZ Rami - safety engagement is just weird.

Hence - the FNP !

My primary division factor is caliber. Color is secondary.

Cosiderations: Recoil is not a factor for me. I shot competitively in IPSC and IDPA for years. Mag capacity difference is 2 - negligible penalty for the .40. Size factor is the same.

My fence sitting is along the lines of logistics and durability. 9 vs .40 ammo cost and availability, common military caliber vs common police caliber, durability and reliability of each weapons platform.

Any feedback is appreciated. To make it more of an incentive and fun, the person that actually writes back with a compelling argument that makes me pick the gun I will defend my life with gets a window sticker, key chain, pin and a regular sticker.

-TH

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought that the USG was in FDE (although there has been one pic in all black).

Really it is purely a personal decision. It seems that FDE is the new "black". I personally prefer the old black. That being said I'm thinking about trying my hand at durakoting my Ruger P89 in FDE just to irk my son who hates the color. :D

Nobody's opinion counts as much as yours.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JoeFriday said:
I thought that the USG was in FDE (although there has been one pic in all black).

Really it is purely a personal decision. It seems that FDE is the new "black". I personally prefer the old black. That being said I'm thinking about trying my hand at durakoting my Ruger P89 in FDE just to irk my son who hates the color. :D

I am not as interested in color feedback as I am in caliber. I am hoping to get an opinion of a forum member that owns both.

-TH

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I like my FDE USG 9. 9mm is a little bit cheaper than 40. Haven't fired the 40 yet, so I don't know how recoil is on that, but the 9 is quite soft and very nice to shoot. I'm glad I got mine when I did.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have been considering getting another FNP.
The .45 is a great gun but I have been wanting to get a smaller gun that will be easier to carry in the summer month.

I have had a few different 9mm guns and while it is a fine caliber and all, I don't see myself getting another. It's kinda like engines...
No replacement for displacement.

The .40 pistols I have shot I have liked.
.40 ammo is pretty popular and you can get it just about anywhere you get .22LR. It may be a LE caliber but it's not like it is some oddball caliber like 357SIG or .45GAP

It's a bit more than 9mm but if you roll your own that will cut out cost and availability.

As far a durability and reliability between the 2.. I would consider that a non issue with the FNP pistols.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
JoeFriday said:

It has been claimed here that U can get a black framed USG now

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I could have found the FNP-357 (.357sig) at a local shop (there is/was a few on a "auction site"), that is the one I would have gotten... So to me the .45 was as close as I could get to being happy, so the FNP-45 is what I got...

So with that said and the 357 not being on your list, I can't vote. I just don't like the 9 or 40. Understand, I am very sure the 2 rounds will do the job, I just have been a .357sig nut for to long to ever own a 9 or 40, again the .45 is the least I will take if no .357sig can be found in the gun I am looking at.

"If" you put the FNP-357 on the vote list, then I can vote ;) .

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
9mm SS.

My 9 has been very reliable. Ammo cost and 2 extra rounds is a plus. And a lot of people will tell you shot placement is the key. You have shot competetively so I'd guess you will be fine with a 9.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've owned a lot of pistols over the years in just about every caliber out there. I thought about the .357SIG when I bought my FNP, but the choice/availability of ammo nixed it for me. I went with the FNP-40 and do not regret my choice -- good ammo availability, more punch than a 9mm, and yet still easy to control in my pistol.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Gotta go with FDE in Utah no matter what caliber you chose :?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I voted for the 9mm USG. That's a no brainer if you prefer cocked and locked. As for 9mm vs. .40s&w, I've never really warmed up to the .40. It's pricier to shoot, it's considerably snappier (I know you said recoil wasn't a factor, but putting comfort aside, it's still likely to affect accuracy or at least time for follow ups), and it's difficult to deny the ubiquitous presence of the 9mm.

Furthermore, I believe that decent 9mm defensive loads have proven themselves to be effective for "social" situations. The two extra rounds may be negligible, but it's still nice.

Just my take on it -- from a guy who greatly prefers .45acp to either 9mm or .40s&w. I have an FNP-45, but I'd have bought an FNP-9 by now if I were able to find a decent price on one locally.

·
Registered
735 Posts
... also, to say that 9mm is a common military cartridge but not common police cartridge isn't necessarily fair. I would just leave it at 9mm is far more common than .40s&w.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I vote .40. Much better ballistic performance in the same small package (relative to the .45).
Also, 40 S&W is not going away and is a very popular caliber in Utah among law enforcement and at the range in my experience. Worries about ammo availability, being non-NATO standard, and reloading supply availability should not be a deterrent.

Tell you what Therm, if you want to shoot mine, PM me and we'll meet up some weekend and go shoot it around Utah Lake or at Lee Kay and see what you think. I wouldn't mind taking a spin on the PS-90.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
B52U said:
I vote .40. Much better ballistic performance in the same small package (relative to the .45).
Also, 40 S&W is not going away and is a very popular caliber in Utah among law enforcement and at the range in my experience. Worries about ammo availability, being non-NATO standard, and reloading supply availability should not be a deterrent.

Tell you what Therm, if you want to shoot mine, PM me and we'll meet up some weekend and go shoot it around Utah Lake or at Lee Kay and see what you think. I wouldn't mind taking a spin on the PS-90.
You get the ammo, and you can take a spin anytime :?

I have this FS2000 I have yet to shoot, so maybe we'll have to do the lake thing. I have yet to go out there. Used to go to the range in Lindon until it shut down. Now I go to Get Some - but the range is in SLC - 25 mph drive.

L8tr

-TH

-TH

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK - you guys are not making this any easier on me. 9mm USG has the same hits as .40 USG.

ALTHOUGH - over all the 9mm round is winning in popularity. My sentiments so far.

... good points all - very good - exactly what I was hoping for. Keep them coming. :?

-TH

G

·
.40 155gr @1250 fps=500 flbs of energy
9mm 115gr @1150 fps=350 flbs of energy
if its worth shootin' 'em, put the wakdown on 'em

·
Registered
283 Posts
I Have a9mmSS

I'm by no means an authority but If you're looking at conceal carry I'd consider the 9m It's not much smaller but that means no drastic pinky hang either. As far as caliber. I feel just as safe with 16+1 of hydra shock that I would 14 .40's. Plus while some say there is a "slight" difference in price, the difference at Wally World is $5 a box $8.57 vs $12.47 for Blazers that's a big difference in my book

·
Registered
735 Posts
With either caliber, like I said, USG is the way to go since you prefer cocked and locked. As long as it's offered, there's no sense in not taking advantage of it.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Panther said:
Do you know what the price difference is between the 9mmSS and the 9mmUSG ?
Depending on where you're looking, around $60 at the high end, $40 on the lower end.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.