FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have purchased a SCAR 16 many moons ago. I figure this may be my last chance before prices become even more crazy than what they are now.

So some questions:

1. NRCH vs std SCAR 16s? I took a NRCH apart, and yes the sled looks like something else that could break in the long run on what is otherwise probably the Western World's most durable rifle. I run my SCAR 17 CH on the right side like an AK with no issues. What other reasons are there to get a NRCH SCAR 16 over the older model, especially if I can find an older model for a few hundred dollars cheaper? I guess they made upgrades to the bolt catch on the NRCH model for use with different STANAG magazines for instance.

Seeking comments on SCAR 16s upgrades:

1. KDG 4.25 or 6.5" rail: I would put a surefire X300 up top like on my ARs (Larry Vickers set up). Is there enough space on the 4.25" model to mount a light up top or do I need the longer model?

2. 14 vs 16" barrel: Would it be dumb to buy a spare 14" barrel and pin/weld a flash hider on? Thinking of balance when running suppressed, that's all.

3. ACR stock: Any reason why not to use one? I do like the std stock on my SCAR 17s though, but sling attachment is a PITA. Any issues with the KRG stock on the 16? I know the 17 doesn't like the Al bracket, which may be mitigated by a different recoil buffer.

4. Geissele trigger: definitely a must have. I love mine on my SCAR 17.

5. Any utility to these: https://www.mototecheng.com/product/3-select-regulator/

I would be running the rifle suppressed mostly with a KAC QDC 556 can. I'll probably put an Elcan on top of it. It will be used for IDPA/3 gun type matches, rifle/carbine courses and general purpose use to supplement my current 16" dedicated AR-15 that I run suppressed.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I use an aluminum Ar receiver extension adapter with a Magpul UBR on my 16 and I haven't seen any issues with canted screws. However, I don't run mine suppressed so that may make a difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally if you're running supressed I would keep the factory stock. Some people have had issues with metal end plates and the rear receiver screws canting. The issue seems to occur more often in rifles running suppressors.

On a side note, I have used a kdg rail on a 17 in the past but took it off when I noticed that the screws used to attach mlok rail sections where pressing against the barrel, specifically on attachments mounted to the bottom of the rail. Another thing to keep in mind is that with the kdg rail you kinda loose the quick change barrel feature. That said the extra hand guard length is nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts