FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

after 40+ years of shooting iron sights i have decided to "cheat" and use an optic....:) this should really make 400 yard shots easier....

so, i bought a real nice set of badger ordinance rings. seekins billet IMRT-R upper. so here in lies the issue. the upper has the rail attachment built into the upper. i was worried that if i put the rings out on the rail (this is where they are most comfortable to get my correct eye relief) that it may affect the accuracy. as you can see from the image, the mount is still just above the billet rail attachment point.

as a result i bought an aeroprecision AR mount to help push the optic forward. well, as you can see from the image that mount is also on the rail. are teh badger rings better than this? what would you use?

what are my best options? am i worried for no reason? should i buy a riser to bolt onto the rail and then is use my badger rings? should i use the rings over the aero mount?

what riser would you recommend? i was one without big bolts or quick disconnects?

should i just use it the way it is?

thanks for the insight

eddie

mount.jpg

below is what the upper looks like without the rail

irmt-r_upper.png

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
From my experience, I think you're worried for no reason. I have a Nikon M223 on my AR with Warne QD rings (not a one piece piece mount). The forward ring is attached to the hand guard. I have somewhere around 2500 rounds through it like that and it has not given me any accuracy problems, even when I put a bipod on it. For what it's worth, I have a 9" Troy Alpha rail for my forend.

I suspect the Aero Precision mounts won't give you any issues.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Duct Tape. Good enough for the A-Team to make stuff with, good enough for what you need. :eek:

:-D

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I think your worried for nuthin but have you tried turning the mount around to see if it will mount further onto the upper and still give you enough eye relief?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the suggestions.

i hope i am worried for nothing but i did not want to learn the hardest way either.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Not ideal, but it looks like a very solid mount with 2 of 3 screws in the upper. I'd waste a little ammo to find out if works before buying another expensive mount.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
As long as the handguard is attached firmly and doesn't flex, it should be fine. Looks like that rail would meet both of those requirements.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts