FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a scar 20s. It is using the old school reciprocating mass charging handle.

I want to before I decide what I want to do with the rifle stretch its initial legs out.

I have a cheap vortex optic I plan on putting on it for the intents of just getting to my 100y range and blasting some m80 that I have stacked up before I move on to match ammo be it from federal, hornady ect.

The question. I wanted a precision rifle yet where I live in the US (central florida) anything beyond 800 is going to be a "stretch". What is a good sub 800y scope to start with? I was thinking a Leopold Mk 6 in 3x-18x. Yet, I want to be forward and say this is the most I have paid for a rifle and is about to be the most I have paid for a scope. So I want that "first purchase" to be usable for what I am most likely going to use or have a practical engagement within the desired distance. IE easy for me to get to a 100y range, not so easy to get to a 800y+ range.

So what is the good optic for targets out to 800y. Because its a Scar 20 I lean more towards wanting something durable then class clarity per say. But I am reading on scopes and quickly getting lost in the woods.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
800 yards is within the consistent effective range for .308 so that is pretty ideal anyway.
do you have an idea what sort of reticle you want? do you want or need illumination?

because of the sheer numbers of long range shooters, i tend to point people at snipershide for advice.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 FFP... They have gotten more expensive, but if you shop around you can find some deals.

Not my favourite scope, but I have 2, so...

I prefer the NF ATACR 7-35X56, which is far more expensive and I use that on the 20S 6,5 CM version.

To my mind, the Vortex is by far the best option for the 7,65 / .308. As theLBC said, 800 yards is probably the ideal for the 7,65/.308 and the Vortex is more than capable at that range.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'm not going to recommend a particular scope but you first need to know if you're planning precision shooting at the 800 yard range or just want to put bullets on steel at that range. That decision will make a real difference on the type and magnification you want in a scope.

I myself have a Steiner M5 3-15 on my 20S. Not enough magnification for real small groups at 800yds but it'll get the job done for me at all ranges I use it at.....and clear glass has a quality all to its own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
800 yards is within the consistent effective range for .308 so that is pretty ideal anyway.
do you have an idea what sort of reticle you want? do you want or need illumination?

because of the sheer numbers of long range shooters, i tend to point people at snipershide for advice.
Considering the fact I don't remember what a MIL is. I am not qualified to answer that question. On to the learning machine I go.

I would say need illumination. Because I dont intend on this being a safe queen and plan on taking precision courses long term.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Considering the fact I don't remember what a MIL is. I am not qualified to answer that question. On to the learning machine I go.

I would say need illumination. Because I dont intend on this being a safe queen and plan on taking precision courses long term.
since it looks like your budget is pretty open, it will definitely be a good idea to read up and watch some videos.
be careful to stick with relatively recent stuff, because precision rifle shooting has exploded, and the equipment like scopes are constantly being improved.
looking at what competitors are using is a good starting point as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
since it looks like your budget is pretty open, it will definitely be a good idea to read up and watch some videos.
be careful to stick with relatively recent stuff, because precision rifle shooting has exploded, and the equipment like scopes are constantly being improved.
looking at what competitors are using is a good starting point as well.
I don't want to put a budget out there because I can smell the sharks swimming around me in terms of being overwhelmed with options. At the same time I have an itch to go stretch this guys legs out at least to a 100y range that I have easy access too.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I don't want to put a budget out there because I can smell the sharks swimming around me in terms of being overwhelmed with options. At the same time I have an itch to go stretch this guys legs out at least to a 100y range that I have easy access too.
you don't have to spend that much to shoot out to 100 or 800+.
sometimes the toughest decision is deciding how much to spend.
i would mount the vortex and just shoot. set your budget later after you know how much you like shooting it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you don't have to spend that much to shoot out to 100 or 800+.
sometimes the toughest decision is deciding how much to spend.
i would mount the vortex and just shoot. set your budget later after you know how much you like shooting it.
I bought a strike eagle gen1 pre pandemic years ago for peanuts. Literal peanuts. The idea was scope experimentation. This is the only scope that I have. Do we think it will last longer then 100 rounds?

As to budget, I am still trying to figure out if I want to spend between 1.5k-4.2k. My biggest concern if that helps the forum is durability (can it handle the gun) of the optic and mount. From there it goes into glass clarity, from there magnification strength. I found a 1 hr drive 900y range with a $100 range fee after qual. So point is, I have an option now.

The question was asked, am I looking to hit steel or paper. Well, what is the gun designed for that lends itself too best? (Serious question.) I have read people saying that this is a 1000y+ gun. Others saying that the gun is "most optimal for 800y" based on 308. Maybe someday ill switch to 6.5 creedmore but thats a topic for another day.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I bought a strike eagle gen1 pre pandemic years ago for peanuts. Literal peanuts. The idea was scope experimentation. This is the only scope that I have. Do we think it will last longer then 100 rounds?

As to budget, I am still trying to figure out if I want to spend between 1.5k-4.2k. My biggest concern if that helps the forum is durability (can it handle the gun) of the optic and mount. From there it goes into glass clarity, from there magnification strength. I found a 1 hr drive 900y range with a $100 range fee after qual. So point is, I have an option now.

The question was asked, am I looking to hit steel or paper. Well, what is the gun designed for that lends itself too best? (Serious question.) I have read people saying that this is a 1000y+ gun. Others saying that the gun is "most optimal for 800y" based on 308. Maybe someday ill switch to 6.5 creedmore but thats a topic for another day.
anything in that price range should hold up and have a good warranty.
you entry level scope might be fine as well, and the heavier 20s isn't as hard on scopes as the lighter 17s.

as for 1000 yards, the 20S is more than capable with the right loads, but there are better calibers for that sort of distance. the newer 1:10 twist barrels would help with heavier bullets, so i expect folks can do a bit better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was a fun read. Holy optic batman. Some of the setups I am seeing the optic feels as large as the gun. I am not sure how this melds into my current thinking of whether or not this weapon is usable outside the home in any dynamic environment.

My hope was to potentially have this as a hunting rifle of sorts. But this is probably the balance between precision rifle competition shooters, casual precision rifle shooters, and people who just want to hunt with a semi auto.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just bought a scar 20s. It is using the old school reciprocating mass charging handle.

I want to before I decide what I want to do with the rifle stretch its initial legs out.

I have a cheap vortex optic I plan on putting on it for the intents of just getting to my 100y range and blasting some m80 that I have stacked up before I move on to match ammo be it from federal, hornady ect.

The question. I wanted a precision rifle yet where I live in the US (central florida) anything beyond 800 is going to be a "stretch". What is a good sub 800y scope to start with? I was thinking a Leopold Mk 6 in 3x-18x. Yet, I want to be forward and say this is the most I have paid for a rifle and is about to be the most I have paid for a scope. So I want that "first purchase" to be usable for what I am most likely going to use or have a practical engagement within the desired distance. IE easy for me to get to a 100y range, not so easy to get to a 800y+ range.

So what is the good optic for targets out to 800y. Because its a Scar 20 I lean more towards wanting something durable then class clarity per say. But I am reading on scopes and quickly getting lost in the woods.
OMG! What does an old school reciprocating charging handle rifle have to do with your question?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome rig. It seems like this rifle is best suited if you are stationary or have vehicle support or can advance in relatively small distances.

Is this the older 1/10 twist version? I notice my barrel has the same profile all the way to the brake.

May I ask what the weight is on this bad boy?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The older version is a 1:12 twist and has the stepped profiled barrel, the newer version is the straight profile barrel with the 1:10 twist. Just an FYI.
Oof I don't know why but for some reason my brain started saying you need "more twist" for heavier bullets not less. Then it looked at the higher number and assumed more. Forgetting that its a lower number that increases twist rate for heavier bullets. I am such a noob.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts