FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been seeing a lot of different ammo specifications and brands.

Is there helpful guide somewhere on the forum or do people have personal experience with a brand/type that I should be looking for? I'm going to need defense and plinker ammo unless it's just best to use one for both.

-EDIT-

I do see the ammo section below, but it's a wealth of links. Kind of like jumping in the ocean to find which seashell you like the most. :p

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
I do see the ammo section below, but it's a wealth of links.
With a lot of good information you should take the time to read.

This thread moved to the ammo section.

·
Administrator
12,019 Posts
Ss197 or ss198 people have hit or miss with the ae brand in the rifle. Elite ammunition also makes ammo or you can reload.
Elite is not making anything right now because they can not get the components. At least that is what their web site says.

The SS195 AE is reported to have problems across the platforms.

The SS197 is used by most for plinking and even SD

The SS198 is restricted LEO ammo that you will pay for when and if you can find it, but it is the best for SD at this time.

If you are LEO, there is SS190 AP available but this requires department letter head to obtain it.

The SS192 (same as SS198 except for the primer, it is leaded and SS198 is about 150fps faster) is available at times though no longer imported. You will pay out the ^&% for it though, due to the longevity of shelf life. Although the Lead Free primers seem to be holding up well and the first batches are closing in at the 10 year shelf life without issues. But FN has never stated that it is a firm 10 year shelf life and if you store you ammo properly, you will probably get substantially more life than just 10 years, if you can not shoot it for that long.

I personally have never used the AE stuff, and never will. Have not used Elite either.

You can also roll your own but that is entirely a different story not suitable to this particular discussion.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
The SS195 is fine, the AE seems to work fine in the pistol, not so much in the rifle.

Reactions: vertigosol

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Elite is not making anything right now because they can not get the components. At least that is what their web site says.

The SS195 AE is reported to have problems across the platforms.

The SS197 is used by most for plinking and even SD

The SS198 is restricted LEO ammo that you will pay for when and if you can find it, but it is the best for SD at this time.

If you are LEO, there is SS190 AP available but this requires department letter head to obtain it.

The SS192 (same as SS198 except for the primer, it is leaded and SS198 is about 150fps faster) is available at times though no longer imported. You will pay out the ^&% for it though, due to the longevity of shelf life. Although the Lead Free primers seem to be holding up well and the first batches are closing in at the 10 year shelf life without issues. But FN has never stated that it is a firm 10 year shelf life and if you store you ammo properly, you will probably get substantially more life than just 10 years, if you can not shoot it for that long.

I personally have never used the AE stuff, and never will. Have not used Elite either.

You can also roll your own but that is entirely a different story not suitable to this particular discussion.
As of this morning Elite has several different loads available, just not the ones I'm looking for (S4M or T-6)

EDIT - I just scored the last 25 rounds of S4M they had in stock.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Use FNH branded ammo in the PS90 and you won't have any issues.

Aftermarket reloads have had issues in the past, high pressure. Kinda dangerous in a blowback weapon.

American Eagle has been a problem in the PS90, but ok in the pistol's.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
There's also R&R Weapons Systems. They have loads like EA. SS198 is super easy to get right now. $30/box is the norm, which is average to SD 9mm like HST.

There are no special springs needed to run EA or R&R ammo. They both have stuff in stock all the time.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Except two days ago when I check the Elite site, there was no ammo in stock, just the message that if you don't see it, we do not have it.

View attachment 38961
So where is this EA ammo that they have in all the time except for the snap caps?

EA has a new web site.. i think you are looking at there old one.. with ".net" at the end of there web address.... there new web site has a ".com" at the end..

·
Administrator
12,019 Posts
EA has a new web site.. i think you are looking at there old one.. with ".net" at the end of there web address.... there new web site has a ".com" at the end..
Someone should inform Google because the old site is the number one listing, or maybe they should take down the old site. It might benefit them when someone Googles their site for ammo purchases. And I see that they do have ammo in stock.

·
Vendor
5,809 Posts
These figures are out of the PS90 Hope this helps. :singlebullet:

T6B 3095fps ......... 562 ft lbs (EA Ammo)
ss198 2800fps ......... 460 ft lbs (Real number closer to 2700fps ....... 440ft lbs)
ss195 2600fps ......... 420 ft lbs (Real number closer to 2500fps ....... 404ft lbs)
ss197 2100fps ......... 390 ft lbs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts