FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I just shot my ocatne9 for the first time but I cant for the life of me remove the end cap. I am using the piston as the key and leveraging a screwdriver but for the life of me cannot remove the cap. Some of the aluminum material is starting to peen as I try to torque it off. Any ideas? thoughts?

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Photo's??? :eek:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I run a YHM, SS, 556 Phantom/quick detach mount on my FS2K. Last range outing and time to pack up for the day, I wrapped the hot can with a rag to remove and it would not budge. Returning home, I took a strap wrench to it and it started to unscrew the QD mount! WTF. Called my next door neighbor to come help. He held an open ended wrench on the QD mounts flats and I, with both hands could not budge it. Sooo, I removed the "C" clip, slid the locking collar off the can and proceeded to crank on it. It finally broke loose with a CRACK and threaded off. Unreal. Had to be the carbon build up. As previously mentioned, heat will expand metal, but in my case it had no effect and did not help. I realize this is unrelated to your can's design, but I think carbon build up could be your culprit!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
We usually put the piston in a vice and the twist the cap off while pushing down on the silencer. Unless you have shot a lot of .22 through it then that should get it off. I've seen it happen a few times but have always been able to get it off. On the flip side if you send it to SilencerCo they will have it back in a day or two.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I dont want to have to get a vise involved. I called silencerco and they will get it off amd replace my jacked end cap and turnaround the same day. Hands down some of the best CS in the biz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts