FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new member here in need of some advice. My project for this year is to get a long range rifle put together. I'm in west Texas so I have lots of yardage to play with. I'm looking for something in .308 and max distance will probably be <750 yds. My budget is about $1200. Any advice and suggestions will be a great help. Thanks!

Akajung

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I just bought the Remington 700 W/5R Riflings and threaded 20" brl 308, Im still waiting on the scope the Night-force Atacr so i haven't got to shoot it yet but every thing i'v read it should be a shooter, you should be able to pick one up for just under you'r budget the I'v always had really good luck with Remington, however the gun I'm waiting on is the FN A5M-XP when it comes available hope this helps.

·
Administrator
11,189 Posts
^^^^ This.

And I also have the Remington SPS Tactical 700 AAC-SD. Not fired as of yet. The only downside that I have read about so far is the Hogue Ghillie Green Stock. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

You might want to look at Vortex scopes but that will put you over budget unless you have set aside monies for the scope that is not in the $1200 mentioned. They run about $725 (if you can find a demo model) and up for a FFP Viper PST series. If you wait for the sales, you can get a 6X24X50 for about $825. The SFP are about $125 to $150 less expensive. Of course, there is other glass out there that cost less and some that costs a lot more. Then there is the scope mount.....

Hoping for some info on the A5M XP from the SHOT show but this one is gonna run around $2K plus. I have seen MSRP as high at $2800 if not more.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
A5m XP will probably be at least $2300. That's what the new A5m's were going for last year most of the time. The A5m's are amazing rifles, but out of your target budget. A 700 will be a good rifle. My buddy has a Savage 12 BVSS with a wood stock and that is a very good rifle as well (26" bbl, which is a bit long IMO). My other friend has a Rem 700 varmint that he dropped into a Bell and Carlson stock (26" bbl as well). My A5m has the 20" bbl and we've shot all of them out to 1000 meters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info guys. And sorry I should have clarified it a little more, the $1200 threshold is just for the rifle, with optics I'd like to stay under $2000. The Remington tactical Sps 700 AAC-SD caught my eye right away, along with the Fn TSR-XP. As for optics Vortex is high on my list, I was gonna get a Viper PST 1x4, but caught a deal on a milsurp that drained the scope fund. Lol My cousin (the one responsible for my interest in firearms) recently picked up a Vortex to put on his 18" Savage and he's loving it so far.

So to kind of recap, my idea was along the lines of .308, 20" barrel, Vortex optics (MOA reticle) and maybe a Mcree chassis. The SPS 700 AAC-SD and the TSR XP are kind of what I'm leaning towards, but I'm open to all ideas!

Akajung

·
Administrator
11,189 Posts
I been reading a lot about the different lengths of the rifle barrel from 18" to 20" to 24" and the 26". What I found is that there is really no measurable accuracy gain from going to a longer than 20" barrel. Yes, there is a slight velocity advantage, but the trade off is less maneuverability of the firearm and if you are thinking about using a can on the rifle, the extra length actually becomes a downfall. A 24 inch barrel with a 7 inch can vs a 20" barrel with a 7 inch can.

Also, stay with the rifling at 1 in 10 instead of the 1 in 12. Much better accuracy in the 168gr arena with 1:10 than the 1:12. At least that is what the write ups and people really into long range shooting to 1000 yards are recommending.

This is a new game for me so I can not really give you accurate information as a user, yet.....

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The TSR has the pre-64 Winchester 70 action, which will feed and extract rounds much better than Remington 700's (especially 700's that do not have a detachable magazine). If a threaded barrel is wanted, I'd still go with a 700 as you can get that from factory for pretty cheap. The TSR has the Hogue stock and suffers the same flexing issue as the 700's, so if you can get a cheaper 700 and put it in a nice stock, it will probably shoot better for you. There are aftermarket stocks for the TSR, but you're already at a higher price than what the 700 is.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I been reading a lot about the different lengths of the rifle barrel from 18" to 20" to 24" and the 26". What I found is that there is really no measurable accuracy gain from going to a longer than 20" barrel. Yes, there is a slight velocity advantage, but the trade off is less maneuverability of the firearm and if you are thinking about using a can on the rifle, the extra length actually becomes a downfall. A 24 inch barrel with a 7 inch can vs a 20" barrel with a 7 inch can.

Also, stay with the rifling at 1 in 10 instead of the 1 in 12. Much better accuracy in the 168gr arena with 1:10 than the 1:12. At least that is what the write ups and people really into long range shooting to 1000 yards are recommending.

This is a new game for me so I can not really give you accurate information as a user, yet.....
20" bbls the powder has completely burned at that point (well, for most quality ammo anyway).

My 1 in 12 twist barrel on my A5m loves 168 gr bullets. Have not tried FGMM 175s yet (just PPU, but their 168's didn't do well in my gun either), but I suspect they'll do fine. If he's not shooting beyond 750 yards, 1 in 12 won't be a hindrance. I need to put mine on paper at 1000 and see if there's any key-holing with 168's (175's are supposed to be better at that range, so I'll have to find some and try those as well - or load some up). 1 in 10 would be preferable, but from my experience, 1 in 12 hasn't been an issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help, my shooting experience so far is AR in the tractor to deal with varmints, and a few Milsurps to bruise shoulders with. Haha so this is a totally new arena and I'm willing to learn.

Akajung

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would highly recommend a Remington 700 with a heavy barrel. The great thing with the 700's is they are like 1911's you can upgrade the stock, bolt handle, trigger, just about everything. And you can do it at your financial pace. Say you want a trigger that breaks like glass(Jewell) save up and install one weekend. Say you want a better bolt knob (Badger Ordnance) save up and install one weekend. There are just so many things you can do with a 700 action. One thing I would highly recommend is replacing the trigger with a Jewell if you are shooting 700 meters. Now I want to go to the range! I'm addicted to the sound of a suppressed 308 hitting metal at 500+ meters. That Bang..wait for it.....wait....DONG. It's the most beautiful thing to hear.

Reactions: Dobe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would highly recommend a Remington 700 with a heavy barrel. The great thing with the 700's is they are like 1911's you can upgrade the stock, bolt handle, trigger, just about everything. And you can do it at your financial pace. Say you want a trigger that breaks like glass(Jewell) save up and install one weekend. Say you want a better bolt knob (Badger Ordnance) save up and install one weekend. There are just so many things you can do with a 700 action. One thing I would highly recommend is replacing the trigger with a Jewell if you are shooting 700 meters. Now I want to go to the range! I'm addicted to the sound of a suppressed 308 hitting metal at 500+ meters. That Bang..wait for it.....wait....DONG. It's the most beautiful thing to hear.
That sounds right up my ally. And if it's done piece by piece the Better Half won't have a heart attack. Lol that does sound like a good time! I shot 500 yards for the first time last summer with my old Swiss K-31. Beautiful music when the steel starts to sing!

Akajung

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Mine isn't the SPS, it has the HS precision milspec stock and BRL, i did buy the SPS for my son in 308 and it shoots very well and the SPS in 300 blk out haven't shoot it as of yet!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Oh the 5R milspec brl twist is 11.25 same as the M-24 sniper Rifle, you can look at these rifles if you go to gun broker and type in Remington 5R and look for the 20" threaded brl W/HS precision stock, you can get this in the 24" non threaded also if thats what you wan't, I understand that these rifles were a special run and is not available to all dealers and might not be around for too long, i just look at one for 1038 and 30 for shipping!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh the 5R milspec brl twist is 11.25 same as the M-24 sniper Rifle, you can look at these rifles if you go to gun broker and type in Remington 5R and look for the 20" threaded brl W/HS precision stock, you can get this in the 24" non threaded also if thats what you wan't, I understand that these rifles were a special run and is not available to all dealers and might not be around for too long, i just look at one for 1038 and 30 for shipping!
Thanks for your input! What benefits does the 5r have over a standard barrel?

Akajung

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have read that cleaning is one of the benefits as the 5R doesn't foul as bad and Accuracy is another, guess it must be so because this is the riffling used in the M-24 sniper rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Thanks for your input! What benefits does the 5r have over a standard barrel?

Akajung

What does it mean when a barrel is said to be a "5R"?

5R is the form of rifling I developed for use in most target barrels and in many sporting barrels.
These barrels have 5 grooves, and the lands have angular sides. I have observed that bullet jackets
will deform such that they remain closer to the R-form lands than they will to the sharp-edged
lands present in conventional-style rifling. This reduces powder fouling at the corner of the
grooves. The angled form of the lands also helps to reduce jacket failures in quick-twist barrels.
faq

The 700 5R mlispec rifle would be the way I'd go based on your demands, I was going to pick one up but went ahead and picked up a SPR A5. I feel either are about the best you can get for a out of the box factory rifle.

I use to think I had to have a 24" barrel in my 308 but after spending some time with "qualified and trained" guys they changed my mind, 20" will do what I need from a 308 anything that needs to be dealt with beyond 800yds I'll deal with with 300win mag or 338 Lapa.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/c-836-700ss-r5-mil-spec.aspx

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
faq

The 700 5R mlispec rifle would be the way I'd go based on your demands, I was going to pick one up but went ahead and picked up a SPR A5. I feel either are about the best you can get for a out of the box factory rifle.

I use to think I had to have a 24" barrel in my 308 but after spending some time with "qualified and trained" guys they changed my mind, 20" will do what I need from a 308 anything that needs to be dealt with beyond 800yds I'll deal with with 300win mag or 338 Lapa.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/c-836-700ss-r5-mil-spec.aspx
Always learn something new! Well that does sound pretty interesting, although regardless of which rifle I end up getting I'll be the limiting factor when it comes to accuracy. Lol

Akajung

·
Registered
315 Posts
Save yourself the time....buy a Browning :wink: Then there are these guys: Rifles

Reactions: arcticzale

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Save yourself the time....buy a Browning :wink: Then there are these guys: Rifles
I have an uncle who bleeds die-hard Savage, no other gun in the world for him, till he picked up a Browning X-Bolt. The Montana rifles sure are pretty...too pretty for me, I'd get a scratch on it and never forgive myself. Lol

Akajung

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are there any places you can buy parts and pieces to make a rifle? Like building your own AR. Because I have yet to see a rifle I want that I don't want to change everything about it. I don't want to buy a 1k gun. Then add on to it. Rather just build it how I want it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts