FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a new scope for my 17, Im currently looking at the NF NSX 3.5x15x50 (or similar) and the vortex 6-24x50. This will be a mostly target scope, No CQC, not worried about something in front of me less then 100 yards.( Ill put a mini on) Im just looking for something that I can be capable out to 1000yards + and be CLEAR!!! I come from long range shooting and a lot of my other rifles are set up for just that and would like to push the 17 as well. I have an IOR valdeda on one and I love the optic... my other question is, with these larger optics on the 17, I don't want a crazy high sight. keep it low profile as possible. im currently using a leupold 1 piece rings with detach. I have heard some ups and downs on NF warranty and I know well about vortex,s or should I worry? another thing, I don't want my scope to take up my whole top rail. my budget is about 1800$ maybe something else to look at? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm using the Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x32 m2 w/lighted reticle and BDC dial for 168 Grain on the 17 and 69 grain for the 16, I have taken my 17 out to 800 but probably best suited under 800, great scope for the money, I have shot the 16 out to 700 YDS, also like the size of the scope for both guns it's not as bulky as the 6-24x50 for me that would be way to large of a scope for these light and handy rifles, the 2.5-8x32 just fits right for me!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You should search the threads. There are a ton of good reviews and pics that can help you make your decision.

Like Rslsss stated, the Mark 4 is a very good platform.

Reactions: rslsss

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
For me the 17s is a mid-range gun for use, mostly off a bipod, out to 600 or maybe 800. As such I have a Leupold Mk6 3x18 on it and I like it a lot.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
For me the 17s is a mid-range gun for use, mostly off a bipod, out to 600 or maybe 800. As such I have a Leupold Mk6 3x18 on it and I like it a lot.
+1 For the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x, I also have it and love it!

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44mm on my 17 and it works great for my purposes but I did want something that works in close also. I run NF 5.5-22x56mm on my bolt guns and it is much more suited to distances out past 500m. They are both very well built and have good clear glass and features. I think that you will find that the accuracy on the 17 starts to drop off after 700-800m although it holds minute of man very well to that distance and is quite accurate at 500m and in. 10X will get you to 1000 yards but things get pretty small. I would recommend at least 15X to get good target identification and resolution. Outside of 100m everybody wants more magnification anyway but those optics start to get quite a bit longer for good reason. You can't have it all but you can find some very good optics within your budget. All of that said Vortex will give you the best bang for the $$ and they have a great lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
983 Posts
the 3.5-15 is huge on a 17s. huge. I'd recommend something a little smaller. (3.5-15 F1 in the back on my 17s)

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
That is pretty large. Doesn't look bad with the shade off though.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Thanks guys, I really don't want to go over 14.5 total inches. What are you running keV?

Im probably the the worst person to ask on this forum :) I can't even decide on a scope for my 17 and I've had it for almost three years.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Looking at getting a new scope for my 17, Im currently looking at the NF NSX 3.5x15x50 (or similar) and the vortex 6-24x50. This will be a mostly target scope, No CQC, not worried about something in front of me less then 100 yards.( Ill put a mini on) Im just looking for something that I can be capable out to 1000yards + and be CLEAR!!! I come from long range shooting and a lot of my other rifles are set up for just that and would like to push the 17 as well. I have an IOR valdeda on one and I love the optic... my other question is, with these larger optics on the 17, I don't want a crazy high sight. keep it low profile as possible. im currently using a leupold 1 piece rings with detach. I have heard some ups and downs on NF warranty and I know well about vortex,s or should I worry? another thing, I don't want my scope to take up my whole top rail. my budget is about 1800$ maybe something else to look at? thanks guys
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP

-SS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP

-SS

Ya I have been back and forth with that pst. Seems like the best bang for the buck. Educate me on a mount... I'm running a leuplod on now, a lot of ppl talk about American defense ? Also, triggers... How do timmney do on the scar? Or should I go with the super scar?

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Ya I have been back and forth with that pst. Seems like the best bang for the buck. Educate me on a mount... I'm running a leuplod on now, a lot of ppl talk about American defense ? Also, triggers... How do timmney do on the scar? Or should I go with the super scar?
If you're happy with the Leupold mount, use it instead of purchasing another.

In my opinion, ADM is the way to go for QD mounts. Good people run ADM, and my customers and I have been 100% satisfied with their wares.

Timney offers an excellent target trigger for the platform, as does Geissele. I've installed and sold many of both and either will do more than suffice.

-SS

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put the Nikon M308 on my 17s and am very happy with it.

OP if your interested in a Vortex PST 6-24x50 MOA let me know I have one for sale.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put that scope up in the for sale section here on the forum and I bet it will sell:)
I ended up taking sgt advice. I went with the 4-16x50pst ffp. What a perfect fit!! I switched out leupold rings and got a NF 1 piece mount and its the PERFECT height and heavy duty. thanks for all the advise guys. im one happy camper

1 - 17 of 17 Posts