FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have both. I Osprey 9mm and a Octane HD 45. Both are excellent so whichever one you pick you'll be happy. Ok my opinion. If you are going to only use the suppressor on handguns the Osprey wins hands down. If you are going to use it on rifles then the Octane HD 45 wins hands down. If you plan on shooting wet the Octane wins because you can take it apart and clean the gunk. The Osprey does not come apart. The price's are basically the same. The major difference is the shape....On semi auto handguns it looks awesome and allows you to use standard sights.(With the FNX45R it doesn't matter). If you plan on using it with rifles and sub calibers Octane HD is the better choice because you can access the stainless steel baffles and clean with peracetic acid.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Octane 45 for me. I was sold on the Osprey but was no able to get one in FDE. The Octane came in FDE and is user serviceable, the Osprey is not.

But they are both great suppressors according to the reviews.
This was my rationale to the T. I wanted FDE and the fact it was user serviceable was a bonus. I spent a good amount of time looking at the stats for each and the TiRant. Weight, decibels, length… most of it is a wash… they are all close in some aspect or are better one one other aspect just by a small margin.

·
Registered
876 Posts
FWIW i went with the AAC TiRant-45 for the changeable piston that allows you to use it on multiple thread patterns and multiple caliber's from 9mm-45 ACP.
The Octane HD 45 does the same thing. From .22LR on up. I too have a Ti-Rant 45 but I hate the fact that the baffles are aluminum which means I can't use peracetic acid to remove the lead. I have to use a dental pick and brass dermal brush to clean the baffles. The Octane has SS baffles and I can throw them in a peracetic acid bath then throw them in a ultrasonic cleaner. I wish AAC would offer a stainless steel baffle upgrade. I even called them to see if I could get a bunch of first baffles to make it all SS. When I have time I think I am going to experiment and spray them with Cearakote Dry Film Lubricant. It worked pretty well on my Pilot II baffles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again everyone for your replies. I think the Osprey looks [email protected] on the FNX45T, but I think I will end up going with the Octane for the same reasons (FDE and the fact it is user serviceable). This way I won't have to paint it and if I ever shoot wet, I can clean it.

I hear the Osprey has the serial # strategically placed in case of malfunction so it is easier to send back for repair (without the crazy wait), does the Octane do the same?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks again everyone for your replies. I think the Osprey looks [email protected] on the FNX45T, but I think I will end up going with the Octane for the same reasons (FDE and the fact it is user serviceable). This way I won't have to paint it and if I ever shoot wet, I can clean it.

I hear the Osprey has the serial # strategically placed in case of malfunction so it is easier to send back for repair (without the crazy wait), does the Octane do the same?

^^^ This was the main reason I went with the Osprey

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
FWIW i went with the AAC TiRant-45 for the changeable piston that allows you to use it on multiple thread patterns and multiple caliber's from 9mm-45 ACP.
Both the Osprey and Octane have the option for different pistons for multiple caliber compatibility.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin

·
Administrator
11,088 Posts
If you have a blow out that obliterates the serial number, you have more issues to deal with than just the "strategically placed serial number" on the can.

If the serial number remains intact, it can be repaired if it is feasible. If not, it is another tax stamp. This is just one of the things that you have to understand that you take a risk with on an NFA item.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I love my osprey, It isn't user serviceable, but I don't shoot it wet or with gel. It works extremely well on all handguns, especially if they dont have suppressor sights. Standard sights sit a little too low to see over a round can, the osprey does not have this issuet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 on Osprey
the serial number is placed as close to the muzzle as possible so to avoid damage and there are no threaded parts on the serial numbered part so there's nothing to strip, pistons and baffles are sandwiched together. Interchangeable pistons are available along with neilson device.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I have also heard the argument that sealed cans will perform better then threaded/servicable cans due to the sealed/welded design, air can not escape around the threads. Not sure if there is any evidence to support this though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts