FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating getting a PS90 to use as one of our helicopter guns. We hunt coyotes, bobcats, and hogs. I have never shot one. I like the size. Space is limited in the helo and the more compact the weapon, the better. We are currently using AR15s, AKs, and Shotguns. I just want something that will be smaller and still get the job done with ease. I do not want to have to make 4-5 hits on an animal to put it down. If I wanted to do that, I would use a .22lr. I wish that I could try a PS90 out before I went out and bought one. Since, I do not have the access, I am asking for your help. I can use any advice on the practicality of this task or experience with the PS90
All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless.

KS

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem as a Helo gun as I've already thought about this too.
What kind of Helo? Robinson, Enstrom, or Bell?
If its an Enstrom or Bell then you shouldn't have to worry about the weight.
Now if its a Robinson R22, I may have second thoughts but a R44 should be fine though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't be a problem as a Helo gun as I've already thought about this too.
What kind of Helo? Robinson, Enstrom, or Bell?
If its an Enstrom or Bell then you shouldn't have to worry about the weight.
Now if its a Robinson R22, I may have second thoughts but a R44 should be fine though.
We fly a R22 Beta II. It has more HP than the standard R22. Pilot has been carrying his gear, including a digital camera, me, one weapon sometimes 2 and depending on weapon anywhere from 50 to 300 rounds of ammo and never have any trouble with power. We like to put our tricked out Romanian underfolder AK in the bubble if we are using a shotgun. If we get into a load of pigs, I switch guns and go to cutting loose. There is just something about an AK with a folded stock and a 75 round drum that just makes you feel good. LOL.

The pilot and I both weigh around 180 each so we do not max out the bird.
The pilot says he got the Beta II because some of the ranchers that he/we work with like to fly and "they are all big boys". LOL.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Then the PS90 should do well for you.
The beta II's extra HP should help with lift so you can take two :-D
Unless its a humid and hot day of course, then I wouldn't even step into a Robinson(excluding the upcoming R66). :x

·
Registered
980 Posts
You will likely have to give the hogs multiple shots.
SS197 is ideal for a bobcat.

For the other critters I would suggest after-market ammo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
PS90

Well the PS90 series is as small as you are going to get in a non-SBR. It is completely ambidextrous so you can shoot it easliy from any position out the helicopter door. The brass ejects straight down and on top of that there is a very good brass catcher that just clips on. I am not a helicopter pilot but I wouldn't think brass flying in/around either the inside or outside of the helicotper is a good thing. The PS90 is very quick in action with a relfex type sight or even a very low power sight like the Trijicon Compact ACOG 2x20 that I use on mine. A 50rd mag that lays flat on the gun is another plus. You are pretty far west from me, but if you fly my way you can try one out. The big ranch at the end of my road uses a small helicopter but I don't think they have ever hunted from it.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Re: PS90

brazos609 said:
...so you can shoot it easliy from any position out the helicopter door.
Unless your helo pilot has 1000+ hours of flight on the books, I would not suggest this in an R22. Since, in an R22, the cyclic and collective are not hydraulic and the R22 is not turbine-powered, you would want as little distractions as possible. Otherwise I would get ready for an auto-rotation landing :-D

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is worth a shot. Remember, I think the PS90 is effective inside of 150 yards. How close can you get the the targets? If you can get within 100 yards I'd say give it a go. I am going to try to take mine coyote hunting this weekend and I'll post the results if we get lucky enough to get one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

tqtran said:
brazos609 said:
...so you can shoot it easliy from any position out the helicopter door.
Unless your helo pilot has 1000+ hours of flight on the books, I would not suggest this in an R22. Since, in an R22, the cyclic and collective are not hydraulic and the R22 is not turbine-powered, you would want as little distractions as possible. Otherwise I would get ready for an auto-rotation landing :-D

When we are flying, I am sitting in the passenger seat. I am buckled in and only lean my upper body out of the door opening to shoot. You don't want to be out the door because the wind drag created by your body is so great that it is dangerous for you, the pilot and helo. This is what you are talking about tqtran, correct?

On top of that, it is not very enjoyable to be blown around like that when you are tyrying to get a bead on a moving animal while you are moving at 40 knots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wi57 said:
It is worth a shot. Remember, I think the PS90 is effective inside of 150 yards. How close can you get the the targets? If you can get within 100 yards I'd say give it a go. I am going to try to take mine coyote hunting this weekend and I'll post the results if we get lucky enough to get one.
Please let us know how it turns out. I am anxious to hear.
Thanks.

I wish I knew someone that lives near me that had a PS90. I would love to try one out. I might even see about getting that person in the helo to shoot. LOL. :-x

·
Registered
520 Posts
i think we probably have a few TX members (one admin comes to mind :p) that would be willing to... uh... give it a shot. :?

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts

Kiowa Scout said:
You don't want to be out the door because the wind drag created by your body is so great that it is dangerous for you, the pilot and helo. This is what you are talking about tqtran, correct?
Wind drag, weight distribution, if for some reason you brace yourself on the "T" bar on accident(happens a lot), the list goes on and on......

Now, you can cut down on wind drag if you hover but if your moving around the pilot will have to compensate for your movements.
Now if you start leaning out the door and make quick movements...the phrase "Negative G, Tail Boom" comes to mind....

Like I said, its a lot easier to do in an R44 than an R22. Its like the difference between a car with power steering and one without.
Also, like I said, if you have an experienced pilot and you trust him, do what ever you want.
I just wouldn't want you to do it when I'm on board :-D

IMO, shooting out the door of a Helo is fine, just not in an R22.
If you have to in an R22, be careful about it and ask your pilot what he/she is comfortable with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts