FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an FN forum so it may seem stupid but people typically have experience with other products. Seriously considering both of these. I shoo the snot out of a range-rented FN 45 tactical but have heard mixed reviews about frame quality, workmanship and cracking.

Can anyone help me on this>

Thanks,

P

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
have heard mixed reviews about frame quality, workmanship and cracking
Probably from someone who wants to sell you a HK.

Reactions: JMike

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Extremely satisfied with the FNX Tac, more mag capacity than the HK plus pre-milled for a mini-red dot optic. I slightly overpaid at the top of the market but I have not a single regret. Was considering the USP Tac also but I could not be more satisfied with FN.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Love my fnx tac. With its capacity and an rmr it is quite a formidable weapon system. On the other hand I do love my hk pistols but I don't have the tac. Seems simple enough for me...get them both, but the fnx first of course

·
Registered
957 Posts
Love my fnx tac. With its capacity and an rmr it is quite a formidable weapon system. On the other hand I do love my hk pistols but I don't have the tac. Seems simple enough for me...get them both, but the fnx first of course
Both are of the highest quality, but just look at the beauty of the fde fnx Tac! If you can afford it get both. I am obviously partial to the FN.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never tried the HK, but as everyone else had stated, the FNP .45 Tac is just awesome. I wasn't really in the market for it, actually had never even heard of it, I'm relatively new, but when my neighbor, friend, and LGS owner told me "trust me, you WANT this gun" I knew he wouldn't steer me wrong. Couldn't be happier with it. Just awesome, and as another said, just so damn pretty lol. My wife even said the other night, when I was Frog Lubbing it, "wow, that's really nice, which one is that" she asked that because I snuck it into the safe when she wasn't home lol. The Trijicon red do is so sweet.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have both the USP and the FNX. It's a tough choice, I agree, both are great pistols.

All of the following is IMO.

Build quality between the two is a dead heat. It's obvious both companies put their best foot forward with these two guns.

Recoil management/mitigation: The bore axis on the USP is quite high for a pistol of this type, particularly if you're used to a 1911/XD/Glock. HK manages recoil and muzzle flip by using a dual coil spring system. FN's answer is to use a dual spring plus a shallower angle on the barrel hood to slow down and soften the abruptness of the barrel unlocking from the slide. The result is a very soft shooting 45 ACP pistol. Both are very controllable, but I give the edge to FN.

Trigger: The double action on my USP is lighter and smoother than the FNX. But the single action on my FNX is crisper than the USP and has a shorter trigger re-set.

Controls: The FNX has completely ambidextrous controls for safety, mag release and slide stop. The USP only has an ambi- mag release. Some folks have an issue with it's location at the base of the trigger guard as well. The FNX's controls are where American shooters expect them. Of the two, I prefer the FN.

Accessories: Out of the box, FN gives you three mags, HK sends two. When it comes to adding accessories like lights and lasers, the FNX has a definite edge with it's picatinny rail on the frame. The USP uses HK's proprietary rail. Nowadays, NO ONE makes accessories using this system. GG&G makes a pic rail adapter that fits the USP that allows the user to mount lights/lasers more easily.

Accuracy: I shoot both pistols well and can blow a ragged hole in a target out to 25 yards or so with either. But I do find the FNX comes back to target quicker than the USP.

Intangibles: FNH has customer service that you can actually get through to. HK, not so much. Extra mags are less expensive with the FNX.

Either pistol will do what you want it to do. The choice is yours.

HTH,

Leb

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you gonna go H&K, I'd go with the HK45, I should know I own one. Haven't shot the FNX45 yet, but they were very comfortable when I pick one up at the gun store. If I wasn't coming off the high of recently purchasing a H&K P30 I probably would've have look a little harder. I'm currently looking into a FNX45 FDE again. I love my H&K's and wouldn't trade them for anything, but I am not a blinded fanboy, I always tell people pick the gun that fits best for you. I will warn you HK45 magazines come in spurts and are expensive. Choose wisely, choose well, and hopefully choose often. Merry Christmas Everyone!

Reactions: btg108 and huffmaj3

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you gonna go H&K, I'd go with the HK45
I'd love to have an HK45T. But they're rare as hen's teeth around my parts and therefore command a pretty high premium.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I had the HK tac before I picked up my first FNX tac. As you can see in my sig I now have 2 FNX tac's and I can say the HK is no longer in my safe but someone elses..

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I have two fnx 45 tac and hk45 tac to be honest the hk is better but not by much. One thing that is a plus on the fnx is the ease of putting a rmr on and mags can be find allot more reasonable in price

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I have to disagree with the general consensus in here. I've said this in the past but FN is not of the same quality as HK, at least not on a superficial level if not a functional one. The parts and finish on HKs are more uniform and more resistant to wear; where as FN parts are rough and bare metal wears come straight from factory. However they shoot about the same, I have not notice any advantage in accuracy and reliability provided by HK's superior machining and finish. FN also has a higher magazine capacity (IIRC 5 additional round which is substantial), and the tactical version comes with raised sights and slot for optic, which HK tactical 45 does not have. So you really have to ask yourself whether HK tactical 45 is worth the wait (good luck finding one) and extra 400-500 for a nicer looking gun but shoots the same, hold less rounds and limits your aiming options. But it's worth mentioning that FN does not offer a tactical "compact" 45 like the HK45CT, so if size is a determining factor, the decision is already made for you.

Reactions: JMike

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have owned:
USP 45 ss- (1)
USP45 blued (1)
USP45C blued (1)
USP45C ss (1)
USP45CT LEM (2)
USP45CT V1 (1)
USP45 Tactical (1)
USP 40 blued (1)
USP 40 ss (1)
USP40C LEM (1)
USP9 blued (1)
Hk45 (2)
Hk45C (2)
Hk45CT (1)
I can honestly say I enjoy the FNX 45 series a whole lot more. I have (2), one stainless and one blued. I have a blued FNX 45 Tactical on layaway. The quality is about the same. Mag capacity is much more on the FN. The recoil is much better on the FN. I would choose the FN.

·
Registered
604 Posts
FN also has a higher magazine capacity (IIRC 5 additional round which is substantial)
In free states, the mag capacity of the USP is 12 and HK45 is 10. The mag capacity of the FNX is 15.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to disagree with the general consensus in here. I've said this in the past but FN is not of the same quality as HK, at least not on a superficial level if not a functional one. The parts and finish on HKs are more uniform and more resistant to wear; where as FN parts are rough and bare metal wears come straight from factory. However they shoot about the same, I have not notice any advantage in accuracy and reliability provided by HK's superior machining and finish. FN also has a higher magazine capacity (IIRC 5 additional round which is substantial), and the tactical version comes with raised sights and slot for optic, which HK tactical 45 does not have. So you really have to ask yourself whether HK tactical 45 is worth the wait (good luck finding one) and extra 400-500 for a nicer looking gun but shoots the same, hold less rounds and limits your aiming options. But it's worth mentioning that FN does not offer a tactical "compact" 45 like the HK45CT, so if size is a determining factor, the decision is already made for you.

I agree about the finish and "perceived" quality of the H&K

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE AFTERMARKET SIGHTS AVAILABLE FOR THE FNX 45 TACTICAL? Eyes aren't what they used to be and would love to put either Trijicon HD's or Meprolights on the FN Tactical???

Thanks for all the input so far - VERY helpful and APPRECIATED.

pat

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I agree about the finish and "perceived" quality of the H&K

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE AFTERMARKET SIGHTS AVAILABLE FOR THE FNX 45 TACTICAL? Eyes aren't what they used to be and would love to put either Trijicon HD's or Meprolights on the FN Tactical???

Thanks for all the input so far - VERY helpful and APPRECIATED.

pat
It comes with very nice "high profile" nights sights already installed, not to mention the ability to mount a red dot optic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I have seen the sights. The "regular" Trijicons are getting a little harder to visually pick up, even though they are the "high" version. If possible, I would like to put alternatives sights on light mentioned above. Anyone know if this is possible?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts