FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a SCAR 16 that had the original PWS break replaced with a AAC Blackout. I wanted the original FN / PWS, so I purchased a used one. It came with a washer. When installed it does not time (line up) correctly. It is about 100 deg shy of correct. It is torqued appropriately When I examine a friends SCAR his washer is about 1/3 the thickness of mine. I called FNH to get a washer and they told me that there is no washer behind the muzzle device and they can not supply me with one.

If you look at the diagrams on the site you will see either the washer deleted or not present, HOWEVER the flash hider shown in the diagram is a prong flash hider the does not require timing.

I did consider shipping the gun back to FNH for service. That is NOT happening now.

I would like to use a factory part if possible.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Crush Washer

For the 16 all you need to use is a crush washer behind the muzzle brake to index it. If yours won't index with the used crush washer try a new washer. I would try tightening yours more first though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is tight, as tight as want to make it. I fabricated a barrel clamp out of two pieces of hard wood drilled the size of the barrel and the shaved the edges ~0.030". This was then placed around the barrel and the whole shebang placed in 6" bench vise and wound up as tight as I could make it. I used an open end wrench on the break and tightened that up.

I will give the new crush washer a shot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had to take my 16 to a gunsmith to replace the original with a GI flash hider, which he did... and put the crush washer on backwards, small end to the barrel. That sort of thing seems easy to do; for instance, when I replaced the trigger with a Timney, it didn't occur to me until I had the thing back together what that "shim-like" looking thing in the package was, since it wasn't mentioned in the directions. Only took a few minutes, but a mention in the instructions would have been nice for those of us who don't pay attention... The Timney is terrific, a huge improvement, and a necessity if using a scope, IMHO. Not so much if staying w/ the irons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed a new muzzle brake on my 16 using a crush washer and a shim washer of the appropriate thickness to get the timing right. Once the crush washer is "crushed" you can't reuse it so buy 4 or 5 and experiment to pick the right shim thickness. Shims of varying thickness and diameter for the 16 come in a pack and are avaliable from sources on the internet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts