FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, will N.O. or Houston get hit again? Anyone up for a contest? Everyone pick a city on the coast and the closest one to where Gustov really lands gets Ship's FNP 9. :-D

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Hell - U are closer to the coast than I am. You better hope it doesn't hit Houston.

I'm hoping it doesn't come up this way. Before I owned a home, I didn't really care. But, Rita was headed straight for us, and then turned East and went up towards Jasper. Jasper is approx the same distance inland as College Station. They got hit pretty hard. I don't want it coming my way - and you better hope it doesn't skip over Katy on its way up here :lol:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Rita scared the crap out of me. That was my first and only close call with a hurricane; I was living in Houston at the time. I ended up going all the way back to Chicago for a week... I wanted to make really, really sure I was out of it's way. :-D

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I say it will hit Corpus Christi.

Don't feel bad Texas dewellers, I live on the coast of NC known as hurracane ally.

"The wind blew, the **** flew, and you can't see a thing for an hour or two"

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna guess Pensacola. Most of the predictions have it turning North. Those computer models have been pretty accurate haven't they?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well right now I'm sticking with my bet. Got this from the nation hurricane web site.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[Rant]

N.O. needs to get hit again because the people there didn't learn the lesson the first time around. Living below sea level in a huricane zone not only puts you at risk but makes the rest of the country pay to bail you out. They "expect" other people to pay for thier decision to stay there. That pisses me off. I'm usually not in favor of more laws, but I'm getting close to wanting a law that says you must be insured to live in certain places. Like L.A. and N.O. I think you should have to prove you can take the disaster and recover without tax payer help. Besides isn't it against the Constitution for the Federal Government to give money to people because of disaster?

[/Rant]

This is something from one of my favorite stories. If you haven't read it's before, it most certainly worth your time to do so.

"'I admit the truth of all you say, but there must be some mistake. Though I live in the backwoods and seldom go from home, I take the papers from Washington and read very carefully all the proceedings of Congress. My papers say you voted for a bill to appropriate $20,000 to some sufferers by fire in Georgetown. Is that true?'

"'Well my friend; I may as well own up. You have got me there. But certainly nobody will complain that a great and rich country like ours should give the insignificant sum of $20,000 to relieve its suffering women and children, particularly with a full and overflowing treasury, and I am sure, if you had been there, you would have done just the same as I did.'

"'It is not the amount, Colonel, that I complain of; it is the principle. In the first place, the government ought to have in the Treasury no more than enough for its legitimate purposes. But that has nothing with the question. The power of collecting and disbursing money at pleasure is the most dangerous power that can be entrusted to man, particularly under our system of collecting revenue by a tariff, which reaches every man in the country, no matter how poor he may be, and the poorer he is the more he pays in proportion to his means.
http://www.veiled-chameleon.com/weblog/archives/000055.html

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm... sliding west a little.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
N.O. may be in trouble again.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshots/2008/08/whats-selling-i.html

Guns and Gustav
We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”

Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.

—John Snow

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I still say that Gustav is going to go more west and hit Texas. As for Hanna, it will probably just be a tropical storm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts