FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ammunition is manufactured by Blazer Ammunition for the Cabela’s house brand Herter’s with a Total Nylon Jacket and is based on the Federal Nyclad technology.

I have found this ammunition to have the following benefits: clean shooting, no copper fouling and no lead fouling.

The negatives: the 9mm Luger 115gr TNJ had a defective rate of 10% based on 500 cartridges purchased. The defects ranged from excess nylon jacket material, missing nylon jacket on bullet or damaged aluminum case.

I discovered the problem when my FNX-9 slide jammed and fail to fire with a live cartridge in the chamber with the pistol ready to fire. My friend and I tried to move the slide but we could not. I called a range officer over and after 5 minutes he handed me a cartridge with a damaged nylon jacket and chewed-up rim that jammed in the chamber causing the slide to not move (there were no firing pin marks on the cartridge). Based on this problem I have to carefully inspect all the cartridges which I find too time consuming.

I also use the 40 S&W 165gr TNJ and found 13 defective cartridges out of 300 cartridges purchased but I have not had an issue.

I do not have any experience with the 45 ACP 230gr TNJ ammunition.

When I use the ammunition I always have a clean firearm that has a recently oiled bore (properly maintained firearm) and I do not fire more than 100 rounds per range session.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good summary of your findings... thanks!

I bought ~250 rounds of this crap in 165gr TNJ .40 S&W from Cabela's when it popped up as a "good deal" on gunbot. Good lesson to me to fully read the description before clicking the "buy" button, even from a known retailer.

As mentioned, it is aluminum cased, hence non-reloadable. Since I'm just starting to reload pistol calibers after loading rifle on a single-stage press for years, the fact that it is non-reloadable is enough to move it to the "no-buy" list for me.

I hand-inspected my rounds before taking them to the range as I do with all my factory ammunition and found numerous defects in the nylon jacketing - primarily spots of incomplete coverage by the nylon material. It appears these are perhaps dipped in the jacketing material where the spots with incomplete coverage appeared to be areas where the lead bullet was not completely "wetted" by the nylon material. This left a spot of varying size without jacketing, but with irregularly shaped, smooth, rounded edges (not chipped off).

At the range with my FNX-40, groups opened up considerably when compared to the Magtech 180gr FMJ from approximately 3" groups to 7"+ groups at 7 yards. I didn't have my chrono at the range that day so cannot report on velocities, but will do so the next time I'm out. Whether due to the inconsistencies in the jacketing, perhaps differences in bullet weight, geometry, etc, I'm uncertain. I also had one instance in the 50 rounds fired where the round failed to fully chamber and the slide did not return to battery, but cleared when the slide was manually cycled. According to my logs, this was the first ever failure for me (aside from malfunction drills with snap caps selectively inserted in the magazine) with the FNX-40 with nearly 1300 rounds down the pipe.

As always, YMMV, but I would suggest steering clear of this stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts