FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that was the best kit from Hee-Haw... that and the babes.

Anyway... I forgot to grab something from the house this morning to eat for liunch, so I ran down to the Jack in the Box a few minutes ago.

Sirloin Steak Melt and a Chocolate Shake.... I can feel my arteries hardening as I type. :-D

What did ya'll have for lunch?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I just got the results from my blood test yesterday - cholestrol a little too high - and my blood sugar levels have been too high the last few times they have checked. I am borderline diabetes. I needa cut the carbs and sugars. Sucks....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
On cutting your carb's eat oatmeal for breakfast and add baked fish to your diet. On the sugar issue, use Honey or fruits to sweetin things. As always Exersize is key.

And yes your right, it sucks.

Working in the medical field for so long I've seen people die from just about every why or reason imaginable. Everyone should live long enough to enjoy a full life, but I'm hoping to die before I'm old enough to have Urethral strictures or need a TURP. :-D

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
devildoc said:
On cutting your carb's eat oatmeal for breakfast and add baked fish to your diet. On the sugar issue, use Honey or fruits to sweetin things. As always Exersize is key.

And yes your right, it sucks.

Working in the medical field for so long I've seen people die from just about every why or reason imaginable. Everyone should live long enough to enjoy a full life, but I'm hoping to die before I'm old enough to have Urethral strictures or need a TURP. :-D
Thanks for the info... I wish I could excercise right now - but my knees are giving me so many problems. I'm probabably going to have to get a different kind of shot in my knees soon (a type of gel).

I'm not overweight, but I'll be there soon if I don't watch it - as I haven't been able to do any exercise for months recently.

As for the oat,eal - it can't be the instant kind with the fruity flavors, right? That has sugar added. Does it have to be the old fashion kind?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's too bad Ship. I wish you luck in the knee department.

I ran my first marathon this last weekend. Everyone that can, needs to give that event a try at least once in their life. I had an awesome time, although the 9 month training schedule get's old.

My old man runs 100 mile ultra's in his 60's and has never had knee, ankle, or foot problems. His siblings that don't run have had all sorts of awful joint problems. Goes contrary to what people say about running destroying your joints. For him it appears to have prevented issues.

You should try lower impact cardio like biking or swimming.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I've tried biking - I can't.

I've been doing swimming for years - as it is the last aerobic exercise I can do (between asthma and the bad knees). But, now my "good" knee is no longer good, after years of favoring it. And, I needa get better before I can swim.

I usually do a modified breaststroke and just kick with 1 leg. But, the more I exercise, the more knee pain I get. Sucks.

I just did some grocery buying, and I guess I'll be a changing my diet. Sucks....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ship there are tons of low (knee) impact exersizes you can do. Have you see a doc about your knees? Lets me ask you a question if you don't mind. What activity do you do that causes that greatest knee pain? Such as walking up stairs? Jumping and landing flat footed? Is the pain in the front, sides, or defuse? Does the pain radiate?

You'll get my bill later. LOL

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ship there are tons of low (knee) impact exersizes you can do. Have you see a doc about your knees? Lets me ask you a question if you don't mind. What activity do you do that causes that greatest knee pain? Such as walking up stairs? Jumping and landing flat footed? Is the pain in the front, sides, or defuse? Does the pain radiate?

You'll get my bill later. LOL

Foods to eat in moderation:....Foods to choose more often:

Fried foods --------------------- Broiled, grilled, or baked foods

Higher-fat cuts of red meat -- Poultry, fish, loin, or sirloin cuts of red meat

Cold cuts ----------------------- Lean turkey breast or ham

High-fat casseroles ------------ Simply prepared potatoes and vegetables

Croissants, biscuits,
and sweet or stuffed breads -- Whole-grain breads

Creamy salad dressings ------- A splash of lemon or lime juice, flavored vinegar, and low-calorie salad dressing

Sour cream, sauces, and gravy - Sauces made from low-fat chicken broth, spices, and herbs

Appetizer dips ------------------- --Salsa

Cream-based soups ---------------Clear soup or consommé

Sugary drinks, juices, and alcohol - Diet drinks, unsweetened iced tea, sparkling water without added sugar, or water

Cakes, candy, and sweets -------- Fresh fruit or low-fat yogurt

Added sugar ------------------------ Artificial sweeteners (that don't contain sugar alcohols, which can be high in carbohydrates

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I know a little about diabetes, since my wife had the gestational kind with my son. But, as it was not me who needed to change their diet at the time, I didn't watch it too closely.

I went and bought some oatmeal last night, both regula and a diet, low sugar kind that at least had some taste. The carbs on either aren't much different than on my Special K cereal I like. But, I'll try to stick to the oatmeal a bit more.

As for yogurt, I eat 1 everyday anyway - but the kind with the fruit on the bottom. That's pretty sweet - didn't think that would be too good anymore.

As for my knees - Before becoming a probation officer, I worked plain clothes loss prevention for a major retailer for many years. I banged up my left knee from fights and putting people on the ground to cuff them. I had 2 surgeries for torn cartilage, and on the 2nd one, I learned that I basically had bone on bone in certain spots.

I've dealt with this since 1998, and I have good and bad days. Since going to the beach on July 4th, however, and walking on the wet sand wit no shoes - the impact went right to my knees. Years of favoring the other knee has worn it down too, and for the last 2-3 years, my "good knee" hurts just as bad. I don't need any scans to know what the problem is because it hurts in the exact same spot (the inside of the knee - the miniscus area)

Since July, I have been on crutches quite a bit, and can barely walk. I got cortesone shots in both knees in JUly - and while this has helped me thru the years in my left knee, it had no real effect this time in either knee.

Now, I can FINALLY walk to the end of the block and back, pushing my son on his little car, but that is all. I still have to sit in the front of the grocery store while my wife shops every Sat. Right now, it is all I can do to walk around my house and function at work. I can't do anything additional to stress it - I hope to at least get back to where I was pre July eventually. Then I can at least swim again.

I've gone from about 179-180 to 200 lbs in the past 2 years (I'm 6'1") - so its starting to take a tole on me...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well it sounds like a miniscus type issue is the problem based on the types of activities you've been involved in. Although I would not rule out PFA or CMP in addition. One of the worst things about knee problems is its a visious revolving problem. Here is what I mean; because of the knee pain, it causes muscle atrophy due to lack of exersize and due to the lack of exersize the patient tends to gain weight which puts more stress on the knees which increases pain.

I wish you luck, as you get older this will not get better. I wish I could give you some better suggestions. Surgery (very expensive) may be your only option if the pain is to much to bear. Be carefull with quacks with quick fix steriod injections. They can cause more problems than they fix. Make sure you fully understand the risks.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife has a friend that had bad knees after a car wreck when he was in his teens. You are discribing the same problem he has/had. For years he has been on crutches because he could't make himself follow the Doc's advice... have total knee replacement with cadaver knees. Just this year he finally decided to do it. I think he out of the hospital now. I guess I need to ask the wife how it went.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, my doc just plays the "you are too young for knee replacement" card. Granted, I was at 26. But man, I may do it soon, as I am missing out on so much. However, that original knee is still a workman's comp deal - and now they are giving me a hassle for seeing a doctor for 10 years + now. If I have surgery, I'll probably need an attorney to fight this out.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
devildoc said:
I wish you luck, as you get older this will not get better. I wish I could give you some better suggestions. Surgery (very expensive) may be your only option if the pain is to much to bear. Be carefull with quacks with quick fix steriod injections. They can cause more problems than they fix. Make sure you fully understand the risks.
Well, over the past 10 years, I've had 7 or 8 of these shots. Until this past summer, it has been 3 years since my last one. Normally they geet me going and I am better even after their effects wear off. After my 2nd surgery, I couldn't walk for another 3 months or even do rehab until I got a steroid shot - and that got me going.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well, steroids only mask the problem. It only treats a symptom, not the cause. Will it make so you can function? Sure it will.

But its like knumbing up a guys broken leg with lidocaine and he can walk on it until the broken bone cuts through enough tissue causing him to bloods to death.

Steroids quickly reduce/remove inflamation and thats it "pains gone". The problem is the underlying problem remains, and since you no longer feel any pain you'll aggrevate the problem even more without knowing. Pain is your bodies way of telling you to stop what your doing.

At some point you are going to have some tuff choices to make. There are pros and cons to all of them, sorry. Cuz at some point the shots won't work and you'll be eating pain meds like movie stars.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, I understand the dangers of the shots - but in the past - I got one and then it would reduce the inflamation and I'd be good for a year or two typically. The shot effects wear off after just a few weeks - but for some reason, it's got me going in the past, where I could at least walk and get around for a while without supreme pain (just some daily pain/irritation here and there).

The shots have gotten me thru the past 10 years, and until the one I got in July 08, I hadn't gotten one for about 3 years. So, it's not like I was getting one and then going back out to play football like some of these NFL guys.

It was a way to get a temporary fix that lasted a year or so before I had another flare up. And, it allowed me to function without total knee replacement. Now, if I had gotten 30 in 10 years, then yea - it wouldn't be a good thing.

Anyway - if I can just get back to where I was pre July 08, I'll be satisfied I guess. I will probably get the last ditch fix. They inject this gel into your knee. It is a series of 3 shots - 1 per week. It helps a certain % of people. And, there is supposedly no real, serious side effects. The docs been telling me about this stuff for years, but I never hit the point where I had to have it because the steroid shots always fixed things before.

I've talked to people who have gotten these shots, and they all report positive results. Now that I am this point, I will do some research and ask more specific questions of the doc - but I think I don't have any other choice. Its this or surgery.

I'll tell U how bad it was... Until last Monday, I hadn't been to the range for a few months, because I knew I couldn't stand up for 45 min to and hour to go shoot. :x

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ugh, we are all getting old.

Ship I have been Type 1 Diabetic for almost 20 years now - since I was 17. I have been on a pump for about 3 years and only eat one meal a day. The trick for me was finding a small group of foods that I could eat, determining what their impact was on my sugars and then just eating those foods.......for the rest of my life :(. It took all the pleasure out of food but it worked for me (and it made grocery shopping really easy). Diabetes is not a lot fun but it did teach me to live a very disciplined life.

ETA and TA I had a chicken breast and rice for dinner last night, and the night before that, and the night before that, and the night before that, and the night before that, and the night before that......

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dumapus said:
ETA and TA I had a chicken breast and rice for dinner last night, and the night before that, and the night before that, and the night before that, and the night before that, and the night before that......
:evil: Y'know... it's okay to toss some fish in the oven every now and then. Sqeeze a little lemon juice on it, wrap it in foil, heat for 10 to 15 minutes at 250. A few peas in that rice will make it more nutritious. And some corn and spinach would be good too.

I'm just kidding, I know you know what to eat. Why all the chicken and rice every night?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ha Ha - not bad.

Its also a great excuse to make my own dinners b/c my girlfriend should not be allowed to get within 100 yards of a kitchen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts