FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the trigger (heh get it, of course u do) on a FNP-9 yesterday and I get to pick it up on the 28th. I'm so excited, this is my first gun. I have been a fan of FNH for a long time. The FN5.7 is my dream gun but not really appropriate for a first time owner plus they're almost impossible to find. :(

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello to everybody and wondered if y'all had any tips for me on owning/caring for my new baby? Is this Otis Pistol Cleaning Kit the best cleaning kit for a FNP-9?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on your first pistol! You made an excellent choice by the way. Even though the 5.7 is nice, you'll find the 9mm is cheaper to shoot plus you can get ammo essentially anywhere. My wife has the Browning Pro-9 and a friend of mine has the Stainless FNP-9. Both are great guns, very reliable and extremely accurate.

As far as the cleaning kit goes, it would be a nice thing to keep in your range bag but I'm still partial to a solid rod for cleaning. I'd recommend something along the lines of this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=161631

You can find a cleaning kit similar to this at Wal-Mart. While you're there, pick up the three wire brush set (one steel, one nylon, one brass) that's also in the gun cleaning section. These make quick work on the feed ramp area and under the slide when cleaning. Do not use the steel one on a blued surface though as it will mar it. Pick up some Hoppe's #9 solvent and Break-Free CLP as well. Also pick up two to three boxes of Winchester White Box 9mm FMJ ammo in the 100 round count. You'll definitely need these :D !

Now go to Health and Beauty Aids and get some Q-Tips and optional latex surgical gloves. I like wearing these because of the lead/solvents your skin can absorb over time. After doing taxidermy for a number of years, I have complete respect for any type of chemical absorbtion through the skin. Toothpicks are another nice thing to have as well so you may want to head on over to Housewares.

A couple of other things that are nice to have is FP-10. I've been using it for over a year now and am VERY impressed with it. I use the Break-Free for all the protection and the FP-10 for any place where sliding/moving parts are involved. I can't find any locally so I order all mine through Midway which will soon become your best friend.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=189955

Another "must have" for any pistol is this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=626617

Make sure which ever you buy, that it states on the can it is safe for synthetics are polymers. If not, it will damage your frame. These cleaners are incredible and makes light work of getting any residue off your firearm.

This should just about cover it as far as what you will need to clean and maintain your new toy. The FP-10 and Gun Scrubber aren't really necessary but is nice to have and you will appreciate the benefits of both. Follow the instructions in the manual and you will be good to go. Make sure to post pics and a range report when you can.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I have the Otis cleaning kit for the M9 military pistols, which works for any 9mm, but that one looks like it would be good too if you're planning on having more calibers. I really like mine and it has all the right tools. It doesn't have a steel brush and I honestly don't think I would dare to ever use it. Brass is softer than steel so you don't have to worry about scratching the barrel up if you use a brass brush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for this information guys. I picked my gun up on Wednesday and put 50 rounds through it. I had to leave so I didn't get to play very long.. :( I plan to go out again this weekend and put a hundred or more through it. I need to do some more searching through here on threads regarding what exactly to clean and how so I make sure I'm doing everything right.

But all in all, I'm thrilled with this gun!!! FNH makes a very quality weapon and I'm going to send off tomorrow for my shooter's pack!! woot! Some of my buddies at work are drooling over my purchase.

Now 1 question, what is bluing? Is any part of my gun blued from the factory? Sorry, I'm a newb. :-X

·
Registered
319 Posts
Now 1 question, what is bluing? Is any part of my gun blued from the factory? Sorry, I'm a newb. :-X
Bluing is a surface treatment given to metal parts. My 45 mags have a blued appearance. Everything else is Melonite.

Blued guns while looking nice are a PITA to keep clean. And it wears off fast.

Parkerizing is another treatment that is more durable but doesn't work for stainless steel.

Melonite is a newish finish that is kinda like park but a lot better and it likes SS just fine.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
U will find that everyone has their own method of cleaning. I don't us q-tips - I do however use a toothbrush - go buy a 99 cent one. I put the breakfree on it, and I use it to oil the rails on the frame that the slide moves on, plus a few other areas of the gun

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I have a tooth brush for scrubbing my gun clean and one for applying oil. I have an otis cleaning kit for the M9, so that has everything I need. Also, I clean anything that is dirty, or at least the stuff I can reach without doing a detailed strip of the gun. My FNP was my first pistol and it's the FDE USG version. The FDE frame really helped me figure out what get's dirty and what I need to clean.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I try to pick up those cheap 1 piece cleaning rods at gun shows - so I need not deal with those screw together kinds that everyone else seels. I have 1 for 45 (Springfield used to give thoseaway with 1911s), and a couple for 9mms. They work nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts