FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I was at a gun show recently looking for a .308 rifle that would pass muster for target/hunting while having some tacticality to it. I couldn't find any RRA or DPMS .308 rifles (and even if I did, I wasn't interested in anything with less than a 20" barrel length) but was intrigued when I found two FNAR's (a light and heavy). It was pretty much everything I was looking for so I bought the light (for I price I'm not too proud of, hah). I have yet to take it to the range, but I'm excited about going this weekend.

I had a couple questions though-

Anyone try to put iron sights on this bad boy? Not that they could ever fit with my scope being so low, but I was curious.

Anyone else seem to not be able to load a full magazine with the bolt closed? If I take it down to 19 rounds it goes in fine, otherwise I have to load with the bolt open. Not a big deal, just curious.

What's the best manner to go about cleaning this bad boy? It doesn't seem that disassembling the bolt/barrel is an option, and it seems tough to get in there and clean everything.

I just ordered 4 extra mags... hopefully I get them sometime soon!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the purchase!

Can't answer your questions because I don't have one, but I'd like one.

Pictures and range reports are always welcome, so when the time comes, we'd all love to hear (and see) about it :?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey I am a FNAR owner, and I would stay with a scope on it, iron sights wouldn't really work just because there is no where to put them except on the rail, I mean you can put them one the barrel but I don't see a reason to do so. Plus you can always get a red dot if you want fun, but as far mine I have a nice scope because I like my .308s to shoot far :),

But as far as cleaning it I am still having trouble, your manual should give instructions on taking it apart, but then again the insturstion are not very detailed. It is tough to get in there.

Also I haven't had a problem with loading a full magazine.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
No problem with full magazine i my FNAR here either, perhaps you are using ammog with a thicker jacket?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmm...... that's a bit troubling..... like I said, with the bolt forward, a mag with 19 rounds in it goes in fine, but if there's 20 rounds in it, it goes in until it's just about to click and lock, but won't go any further. If the bolt is back, the 20 rounds goes in fine. I talked to Bob at FNH USA about it, and he said it's common and has to do with them trying to fit 20 rounds in the mag and the 20th round being very tight on the bolt if it is forward, but I figured I's ask here.

I'll assume it has more to do with my mag than my rifle, but we'll see how it behaves after I give it its initial cleaning. The 2 types of amo I have are Black Hills match labelled in .308 and Winchester White Box labelled in 7.62. I also should have some more mags on the way, so we'll see.

As far as cleaning, it seems like the only way to clean as much of the bolt as possible is to use some Powder Blast or something similar, but I hate using that stuff when I can't get in there to remove residue and apply some gun oil afterwards.

Anyone have some cleaning advice for this thing?

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
metalheadisme said:
That is a good question, I would also like to hear someone speak on that. Actually, I have yet to tear the rifle down to tell you the truth.

By the way metal.... I have a bunch of wolf ammo that I can only load 29 to a magazine for them to work in my M4. Wolf is steel, and I hear thicker... yet anything brass the 30 rounds fit easily. That is why I questioned the type of ammo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ick said:
metalheadisme said:
That is a good question, I would also like to hear someone speak on that. Actually, I have yet to tear the rifle down to tell you the truth.

By the way metal.... I have a bunch of wolf ammo that I can only load 29 to a magazine for them to work in my M4. Wolf is steel, and I hear thicker... yet anything brass the 30 rounds fit easily. That is why I questioned the type of ammo.
Well, my extra mags just shipped, so we'll see what the deal with the 20 rounds is when they get here. If it is the magazine, I'm not sure how to take it apart and fix it. If it's the rifle... well, I'm not sure how it could be the rifle, but we'll see.

As for cleaning, I gave her a good initial cleaning tonight and here are my thoughts:

I basically did everything except disassemble the gas system, which seemed fine. Bob at Fnh said the gas system should really only need cleaning every 500 rounds or so, but I'll probably end up cleaning it after every 100 or so.

If you want to clean the bolt and interior of the receiver as best you can, the best thing to do seems to be removing the forearm, the magazine block, trigger group, and stock. If just a routine cleaning after a range trip and the gas system doesn't seem dirty, no need to take it apart, but removing the other items gives you great access to the interior of the receiver.

Removing the forearm is easy, but the magazine block was a pain. The hex head screws were in really good, and I almost thought I stripped one, but after hammering the allen wrench in a bit, it got in there good and after some serious muscle it loosened up. Shouldn't have the same problem after loosening them the first time. The trigger group came out really easily, as did the stock.

After removing them, I sprayed the interior with Powder Blast to get rid of as much of that rust prevention stuff as possible and let it flow out of the end the stock would attach to. I ran some Hoppes bore cleaner down the bore and cleaned the receiver interior and bolt as best I could with Break Free CLP. Then I ran some dry patches down the bore, applied some tetra grease to the slide (just a little), and got both the bore and bolt with some hoppes gun oil.

Then I cleaned the exterior with some Break Free, put the trigger group back in, then the mag block and forearm, and then the stock. Wiped her down with a silicone impregnated cloth and she's good to go.

Now that I understand the process, it shouldn't be too hard to do next time, though I will need to spend some more time with the gas system. Getting the mag block screws out was the biggest pain and time consumer, so beware on your first go at it.

Of course, after cleaning and reassembling, she still won't accept a full 20rd mag with the bolt in the forward position, but that doesn't surprise me.

That being said, I can't wait to fire her tomorrow.... I'll be stuck at a 25yd indoor range (I'll have to go to a real rifle range later) but it'll still be fun!

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Welcome to the site! I'm looking at getting one myself but I'm waiting to hear more about them...range reports and such. :?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cleaning FNAR - Be Careful

As you read the owner's manual about removing the magazine block, they instruct you to remove the two bolts holding the magazine in place....what they didn't tell you is they are using some type of loctite to hold them in place and you run a real risk of stripping out he allen heads in the removal process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Cleaning FNAR - Be Careful

tactical1 said:
As you read the owner's manual about removing the magazine block, they instruct you to remove the two bolts holding the magazine in place....what they didn't tell you is they are using some type of loctite to hold them in place and you run a real risk of stripping out he allen heads in the removal process.
Yeah, I thought it was friction tape at first, but the second one (the one that gave me all the trouble) came out with a powder-like residue that made me think more along the lines of loctite.

Maybe some heat would make the initial loosening easier, but either way, use a high quality 2.5 allen wrench. The first one I used wasn't so great, which is why I had problems until i got the good allen wrench and a hammer.

Oh, and here's a gem- in the reassembly part, it says to use a 3mm allen wrench. No, you're not seeing things, and no, the hex head didn't magically change sizes while you were cleanig it- it's still 2.5mm. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
FNAR Mag Block Bolts/Screws

Sent a note to Bob Ailes a few weeks ago inquiring about purchasing some spare bolts but haven't heard back from him.

Will send him another email and reply to post with update.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I put 40 rounds through mine today....

I had one failure to eject, and it ejected fine after racking the bolt myself, so I'll chalk that up to it being new and the fact I was actually letting a nice fellow's kid try and fire it at the time.

I was only shooting it at 25 yards, but she's nice and accurate. The thing that surprised me is that she shot so softly... the recoil was not what one would expect from .308 at all. Very nice indeed. My girlfriend was scared to shoot it, until I got her to try at which point she said the recoil wasn't bad at all and wanted to keep firing. :)

I'll hopefully get to shoot it at 100+ yards soon, and I'll give a more detailed performance report.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so my 4 extra mags came in.... with each of them it still seems that they will not lock into the mag block fully loaded with 20 rounds while the bolt is in the forward (closed) position.

No one else experiences this same behavior?

·
Registered
10 Posts
metalheadisme said:
Ok, so my 4 extra mags came in.... with each of them it still seems that they will not lock into the mag block fully loaded with 20 rounds while the bolt is in the forward (closed) position.

No one else experiences this same behavior?
Finally got to the range with my new FNAR. Unfortunately, mine also does this thing with the 20/19 rounds in the mag. No problem with 19, but with 20, it looks like the bolt does not close all the way. This is on 3 different mags, each loaded with 20 rounds. So it's the gun, not the mag. Have you contacted FN about this? Anything new?

Fury

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, all same brand, manufactured by FN. I think they are the only source of mags, at least right now. 1 came with the gun, the other 2 I ordered separately from a different store online.

So I suppose it could still be the mags...I plan to contact FN probably in the first week of the new year and will publish what they say here. In the meantime, if anyone has other info or insights -- please post.

Fury

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, it's both good and bad to hear I'm not the only one with the 19/20 rounds thing.

Like I had said before, Bob at FNHUSA said it's not uncommon and your best bet is to load a mag with 20 with the bolt open. However, it still doesn't seem like this is how it "should" be to me.

I ordered 4 mags and they all behave the same (all mags made by FN and ordered from CMMG) so it's the gun, not the mags. when there's 20 in the mag and the bolt is forward, it's like it's just a hair away from locking in but it cannot get there. Slamming it or trying harder does not help, and instead will only dent the casing on the first round (yeah, found that out the hard way).

It's not that big of a deal, but it's be nice to figure out why this is the case for some of us and how to possibly go about fixing it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fury said:
Where did you guys buy your rifle? I bought mine from "Budsgunshop" online.

Fury
A gun show in georgia. It seemed to be kept very well by the dealer (I always find it surprising that some dealers handle the new firearms they sell harshly to the point they look used).

It fires fine- I love how it fires... but the mag thing annoys me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts