FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of adapting the Hi-Power to the .45 GAP?
I just finished a range session with my .40 HP's and was considering
after just passing the 1000rd mark on my latest one how sturdy
this model seems to be and that it would be interesting to have it
chambered in a 45 caliber.
Although the ACP is of course to large the GAP would seem to be able
to slide right in.
What would be nice,a little flight of fancy here, if Browning were
to take the GAP round change it slightly,say lengthen the case 1mm
load a 200 grain bullet to 850 fps and a 185 to 950 fps just to keep
pressures a bit more reasonable and call it something like 455 browning.
Mind you I only say Browning as opposed to FN,either would be fine with
me... because FN seems to have left the HP market entirely to Browning
in the U.S.
I think I'd like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I honestly hope not. I hope the GAP dies off and is swept under the rug. It's an accident waiting to happen: sooner or later someone who's ill informed and scantily trained is going to put one or the other in the wrong gun and cause a kaboom. All this reinventing the wheel accomplishes nothing good other than pay the mortgage for a few gun writers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree in that I do not care for the GAP as a replacement for the 45 ACP,
but to load the pressures down a bit and consider it as being in the
same context as a 380acp to the 9mm or a .38spc to the .357.
A .45 cal. round with a 200gr. bullet at around 850fps would be a reasonable defence round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why would anyone want to take a fine firearm like the HP and convert it to a chambering much more powerful than it was designed for? When the .40 S&W Hi-Powers were brought out, they were designed for the more powerful cartridge. Check the locking lugs in the slide (9mm/.40).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glock has already realized it's mistake with the 45 GAP, hence the Model 30 in 45 ACP. The 45 GAP will go the way of the Charter Arms Pit Bull in Federal 9mm rimmed. Nice collectable or expensive paperweight, but no cigar.
I'm no expert but happen to have the Charter Pit Bull and this is IMHO.

Anybody want a Charter Pit Bull? :roll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do not attempt to convert the MK 3 .40 BHP to other calibers with higher energy or pressure! It's design is maxed out at .40 S & W..

I too, see no use for the .45 GAP. As an old buddy of mine used to say "teats on a boar-hog!"

Now if FN would design a larger, tougher BHP single action combo gun in 10MM/.45 ACP, with a light rail, dovetail sights and no silly superfluous safeties, I would buy it in a heartbeat

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not in the market for a thicker slide HP with an 8 round mag capacity.

For me, the powerhouse is a .40 converted to .357 SIG. I had one but had to sell it (and others) as I made some poor financial decisions. But I'll get another someday. And one in 9mm too (already had two of those).

Anyway, the HP in those three calibers will more than do the job without having to go to a .45 bore.

Though if I were a man of means and resources, I'd track down a rare barrel in .41 AE... :cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
HP in AE

Ive been using th..41 for YEARS, proper spring, 170gr hp, or cast TC and this is a real viable set up. I had a Brng GP long time ago, real short service life, like 1M rds and the slide went T.U. so converted it to 41AE with spare slide and one of Evans long bbl kits. No problems as long as the spring was maintained.
the Argy Det is one of my go to pieces, I milled the front sight off an set it up with MMC adj trits, de horned the hammer for my HIGH grip and give it 135gr TCPs shoots well... and the recoil pulse is markedly different than a full size HP, sharper, but less flip, recovers faster.
I do still have a couple Evans kits somewhere, bbl, mags @ spring. Thought about setting one of the Kareens up in 41, just havent got to it yet.
Have to agree about the GAP, waste of my time looking for the little SOBs in the real 45 brass, and the 45ADP preceeded it RSA by a couple years, but it stayed in SA so I didnt have to sort it, a good thing...

·
Registered
20 Posts
a .45 Hi-power is called a 1911. :wink: I have a .40 with a EFK .357 SIG and 9mm conversion. Proper springs are what matters to max service life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts