FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first Hi-Power in 1968 and Have owned several since and am still convinced it's one of the best if not the best handgun ever. There, I said it.

A couple weeks ago my wife found and bought a Baby Hi-Power in .25ACP. Today was her first outing with the baby and it was one feed failure after another. Sometimes every round would misfeed and other times she could get 4 or 5 rounds off without a problem. When we started loading only 5 instead of 6 rounds the number of feed failures decreased but were still high. Later at home I noticed the lips of the magazine appear to be "splayed" out a bit and the ramp seems to be very high and nose high. Could the magazine be defective causing the feed failures or should she just take the gun to our local gunsmith?

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Could easily be a magazine problem. I would try a new magazine first.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. Ordered a new magazine. A general search found a used one for $72. but further checking found Triple K has a new manufacture for $35.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cliff,

Good luck. Triple K mags are not renowned for their quality, but as you noted the OEM mags are very hard to find and very expensive.

I used to carry a Bauer 25 Automatic (a stainless clone of your Colt) as a backup weapon.
However, after officiating at a shooting where Mutant Drug Dealer A shot Mutant Drug Dealer B SIX times in the head with a .25 ACP (With a Raven, for those of you who keep track of those types of things), which resulted in Mutant Drug Dealer B being treated and released 2 hours later with a few stitches and some percocet, I gave up on the .25 that very day and upgraded my backup to a Chief's Special.

The Baby Browning .25 ACPs are great little collector's items, but they can be very finicky and the caliber itself leaves everything to be desired.
Just about any other pistol in any other caliber would be a much better defense combination.
Put another way - If you absolutely, positively had to be shot with something, the .25 ACP Baby Browning should be your very first choice.

Nice OV-10 by the way!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Baby Browning is a really well made little pistol... unfortunately the only good thing you can say about it after that is 'it's better than no gun at all..'

V/r

Chuck

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, it is the wife's gun and she really enjoys punching holes in paper with it. Looking thru her purse one is going to find:
1. Pepper Spray she got from a police friend.
2. Stun Gun (Damsels in Distress has some nice ones)
3. S&W 642 .38 Lady Smith with Hornady Critical Defense Lite JHP
4. Baby Browning.

Not to bad for a Granny Goodwitch.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd say that she has ALL the bases covered!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well the magazine from Triple K arrived. Looks nice, in fact it looks pretty damn good but that's all. Appears the magazine is the same exact size as the magazine well. Two men and a strong boy can push it in, but then have to disassemble the gun to push it out from the top. Sent an email to Triple K to return this very inferior product.
On another note, the wife called Commemorative Arms this morning and Nick suggested she take her gun to a gunsmith and have the recoil spring checked. The local gunsmith said the original magazine is OK, fired the gun, and is going to check and repair as necessary.
All this may cost more than the gun is worth, but she likes it and to me that's what matters.

Oh the plane is an OV-1 Mohawk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts