FN Herstal Firearms banner

Hi Power owners!!!

22K views 77 replies 36 participants last post by  harleyrider 
#1 ·
I'd like to make this section a resource for Hi Power owners. I personally don't have one, but will probably get one eventually.

Anyway, I know there isn't much here yet. But if you guys will share your knowledge, I am sure this subforum will grow!

#3 ·
What are you waiting for?

The BHP is the finest 9mm pistol in the world, what are you waiting for? I've owned mine close to 25 yrs. and it's the only pistol I won't trade. The BHP just plain works! Dead on reliable, fits your hand, there is nothing bad about it.

#5 ·
My first experience with a Hi-Power was when I was a novice getting into shooting. A family friend who was a shooting enthusiast and LEO took me to several gun shops since he was looking for something new for himself. I got to see several guns and when I held the Hi-Power, it fit and pointed naturally. I told him this felt right unlike the other stuff. He smiled and told me I had good taste.

I like both the 9mm and .40 S&W models. They are a real treat. I have taught several friends how to shoot using a 9mm Hi-Power and they really liked it. -I just wish they'd scale up the Hi-Power one more caliber to the .45 ACP.

#7 ·
impcmonk said:
That's called a 1911.
Nope. The Hi-Power was made after the 1911 to address some of the weak points in the 1911 design. Look at a Hi-Power side by side with a 1911 and you can see the improvements in the basic design. -And this is from someone who loves 1911's.

If there was one commonality in JMB's work, it was improvement over time.

#8 ·
you are right, the basic design came from the 1911. They are more akin than any other handgun. While they did make improvements, the 1911 today is much more reliable than those of the past. So if you like the High Powers, then the natural progression would be to move to the 1911. I've owned many of them. In fact I traded my Wilson Combat for the PS90.

#9 ·
I'm already a dedicated 1911 guy. My local shop knows to put any interesting 1911/1911A1 to the side for me. As I mentioned before, I think they're great. I would just like to see someone scale up the Hi-Power design since it was supposed to improve upon and further develop elements of the 1911 design. It would eliminate some of the weaker points of the 1911 platform i.e. the staked plunger tube, separate barrel bushing, etc.

The Hungarians sort of took a stab at it with their version of a .45 caliber Hi-Power. Unfortunately, they used a copy of a S&W frame for the receiver so the grip is very different.

Regarding the trade of a Wilson Combat 1911 for a PS90... Wow! Generally speaking, the stuff from Wilson is very nice. I don't think I could've swapped a Wilson for a PS90. Hopefully, you have enough 1911's that you're not missing your Wilson.

#10 ·
BreakerDave said:
Regarding the trade of a Wilson Combat 1911 for a PS90... Wow! Generally speaking, the stuff from Wilson is very nice. I don't think I could've swapped a Wilson for a PS90. Hopefully, you have enough 1911's that you're not missing your Wilson.
LOL, I've owned quite a few 1911's. While I loved my Wilson, I had a huge problem with the finish on it. I sent it back once and they re-coated the slide. Then it sat in the case. I pulled it out about a month later and the finish was wearing off of a different place on the slide. I wasn't about to spend the money to ship it back to them. I own a S&W tactical 1911 now and it's been just as accurate and reliable as the Wilson (at 1/3 the price). Besides, I'm wanting to have most of my arsenal under the FN stable. I'm eagerly awaiting the FNP.45

#11 ·
Besides, I'm wanting to have most of my arsenal under the FN stable.
Hard to go wrong that way. :wink:

My first experience with a Hi-Power was when I was a novice getting into shooting. A family friend who was a shooting enthusiast and LEO took me to several gun shops since he was looking for something new for himself. I got to see several guns and when I held the Hi-Power, it fit and pointed naturally. I told him this felt right unlike the other stuff. He smiled and told me I had good taste.
That's amazingly like my own experience.

When I was about 17, I seriously decided that I wanted a pistol. My Dad had (and still has) a Taurus PT92 that I liked, so after some thought, I decided that I wanted a .40-caliber Beretta 96. Our town, at the time, didn't have any place that sold handguns, so one afternoon in SLC my Mom went into a craft/hobby store, and I went into the gun shop next door. They had the Beretta I'd been wanting, as well as a lot of other pistols. I held the Beretta -- and liked it -- and a couple of Tauri, a 1911, and spotted a BHP on the bottom shelf.

It was the first time I'd seen one in person, so I was kind of surprised by the small size of it -- I had expected it to be the same size as the 1911. I asked to see it, and when it touched my hand... it sounds so corny and cliche, but it was like time stopped. I made a connection with that pistol.

Of course, it was a few years later that I had finally got up the money (and was old enough). I went back, hoping that they'd still have one, and there it was -- the very same pistol.

It's still my baby, almost 4,000 rounds later (and nary a malfunction). The matte finish has worn shiny from carry and presentation. There were times at IDPA matches where my gun was the only gun in my squad that didn't malfunction.

Man, I love these guns. I'm a certified HP junky. :D
Wes

#13 ·
For those of us on a budget like myself and if you a wanting a HP you might want to check out Sarco. They have the FM Hi-Power for $299.99 but they state they are about out. I had my FFL dealer order one for me and I am well pleased. The finish is not like the finish on a Browning Hi-Power but for a every day carry gun it works fine.

#14 ·
Well Folks,

Tears are in my eyes. Way back, in the mid 60's, I bought a Browning HP. By-Golly-Gee, it was nice. I really enjoyed my range time and I enjoyed just having it. But---life changes and I sold it. I don't remember what the dollars exchanged were, but someone got a good deal.

Now, as I gain interest in firearms (pistols) again, I wish--------Yeah, you know. I lust for the Browning .380 of that era. Damn !! Youth is wasted on children. As a token of that era, I still have the Colt .25 as a momento.

Now I am confronted with the "modern" stuff and find myself in a learning mode. That is not bad, because I am having a blast with my "new" handguns and enjoying every minute of range time I can muster. I just remember the "olden days".

Life was simple. So was I.

#15 ·
I have been collecting 'war guns' for over 40 years. My highpower has a special place in my collection.
About 2 years before my father in law passed, I was visiting him in Idaho and brought back a special piece and a neat story
!
In WW2 his outfit was one of the spearheads into Germany. Upon clearing a town and confiscating all weapons, he got a pistol from a fellow, he beleived to be the mayor.
The weapon was an unfired Hi Power. Along with the pistol, he got 6 boxes 0f Nazi pistol ammo (9mm).
The pistol is part of my collection and remains as he brought it back, 4 of the boxes of 9 mil have never had the German seals broken!
The 'mayor' turned out to an SS district leader!
My father in law liked to fish, but I beleive the best catch he ever got was the 'mayor' and his pistol that day long ago in Germany!

#16 ·
My first post, September 2, was about the HP I once had. This, my second post, confesses that I ordered a new one in 9mm on September 29. That order took me 27 days of thought and reminiscence.

Now the wait begins.

#17 ·
In browsing through a newly discovered gun shop, I found a MK III (9mm) for a decent price and looking to be in "good" condition. I thought about it for 2 days. On the 3rd day I brought it home.

Original case with all the Browning info and an extra mag. The gun was kinda dirty so I spent some quality time cleaning and caressing and getting to know her. Date code says made in '95. Overall condition is very good and it has been lightly used. One mag like new.

Dry-fired with a snap cap and was surprised with the light trigger. Mag safety in place and I expected roughness and more pull.

Took her to the range with a Walther P99 for comparison. Well, never shot the Walther. 150 rounds through the MK III and every one sweet. Trigger compares to the HK P7 as does accuracy in my ancient hand. After a few rounds to get the feel of it, I surprised myself with accuracy and comfort of use.

I still have the Standard on order and will expect extraordinary performance from her also.

#18 ·
A few days ago I was browsing the same gun shop. I fondled a Browning BPM-D and was impressed, but not knowing exactly what it was, I walked away.

After some time at the computer, I learned some of it's history and read some subjective comments/reviews of the gun. Need I say that early the next morning I was at the gun shop door with cash in hand. Brought it home and cleaned/fondled it. Oh My !!! Really nice.

Maybe this weekend I will visit the range and see first hand what I got. This may well be my prime carry and prime love. I never thought that anything would win the position over the BHP.

This thing is THIN and feels good. If it performs good-----well, it stays with me.

More later

#19 ·
dourdave said:
A few days ago I was browsing the same gun shop. I fondled a Browning BPM-D and was impressed, but not knowing exactly what it was, I walked away.

After some time at the computer, I learned some of it's history and read some subjective comments/reviews of the gun. Need I say that early the next morning I was at the gun shop door with cash in hand. Brought it home and cleaned/fondled it. Oh My !!! Really nice.

Maybe this weekend I will visit the range and see first hand what I got. This may well be my prime carry and prime love. I never thought that anything would win the position over the BHP.

This thing is THIN and feels good. If it performs good-----well, it stays with me.

More later
show us a pic!

#20 ·
Pictures Postponed !!!!

Took it to the range today as the second in command to the PPK/S-1 and it did not do so well. For those interested, the little Walther is still the pick of the litter of my growing litter. Damn, I like the PPK/S-1 !!

Anyway, the BPM-D gave me some FTE's (case still in the chamber with a new round behind it) so I let it be. As soon as I can, I will do a detail clean around the ejector mechanisn and then re-range it. If the baddies continue, I will visit my local Smithy. Now---when it worked, it worked VERY nice.! Just like the BHP. Trigger, accuracy, feel, etc.---Nice. Remember, I came by this weapon used. I am not too disapointed, just a bit dismayed. I will do what it takes to make it work.

#22 ·
Well, cleaning didn't work. Called Browning and discovered they no longer service this model. Gave me the name of their approved repair facility so I called them. No problem, send it in. They will call me with a description of needed actions and a cost estimate to repair. Fair enough----off to UPS this morning.

I really would like it to be functional and reliable. When it worked, it was nice. It would make a good companion to the BHP's.

#24 ·
Re: What are you waiting for?

The BHP is the finest 9mm pistol in the world, what are you waiting for?
Subject for some discussion and while I do rate the Hi Power up there with the best, IF I was limited to just one 9mm, I'd have to go with the CZ 75 as my first choice.

But since I'm not limited to just one, I own them both and have equal faith in them to perform. It's my preference for the SA/DA capabilities of the CZ 75 that makes it my first choice.

--
Mike

#25 ·
The Hi-Power was made after the 1911 to address some of the weak points in the 1911 design.
A common misconception fostered by dubiously knowledgeable gun writers.

When JMB started work on this pistol, patents for the 1911 were still IN EFFECT. He was simply designing around his own patents (since the pistol was not going to be a Colt product).

By the time Saive finished the pistol, the 1911 patents had expired and Saive essentially 1911-ized the rest of the slide (the original was striker-fired). Smart man.

Due to the French military's requirements for weight (numerous versions were declared TOO HEAVY), I feel the Hi-Power is somewhat less heavy duty than it could have been...no fault of either Browning or Saive...this one we can lay squarely at the feet of the French. Apparently they were not used to lifting anything heavier than croissants, coffee, and cigarettes.

:oops:

#26 ·
I received the "repaired" BPM-D and took it to the range. First shot---FTE. Second try---FTE. S**t ! Back in the case and used the P239 for the rest of my visit.

Took the BPM-D to the local GURU Smithy and he will do some magic to try and correct the situation.

The BPM-D is very sweet and I like it (when it works). A nice variation to the basic BHP. But---I don't need a money pit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.