FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
neat link,
the 10mw P/N QL63F5SA,B or C MIGHT fit, though the voltage may be to low. To work it wold have to be solidly mounted to a metal plate that is tapped with three narrow screw holes.

Actually, the more I look at it, it won't fit. The diode has to be very narrow. About the width of a pencil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think that a request for such a size with the right voltage ect could be custom requested for this purpose?

·
Banned
23 Posts
blackpaladin said:
Do you think that a request for such a size with the right voltage ect could be custom requested for this purpose?
A green one... :MM: You could always ask them, see if we could get a quantity price. I'm sure plenty of P/PS90 owners would LOVE a quality green laser in the OEM spot.

Scuba

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yeah green would be awesome. Unfortunately green lasers are to bulky at present. They can only be made smaller at a great cost.

I'm also thinking that it would be quite expensive to have custom lasers built. As for prefabs, I tried to buy the correct 10mw diodes form Laserex, but they didn't want to do business with me.

Really though, the 5mw is just as bright as any civilian legal red laser out there.

A business or hobbyist could get in trouble with OSHA if I he started selling military grade lasers to civilians. (A 10mw is supposed to have various safety
implements installed)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah green would be awesome. Unfortunately green lasers are to bulky at present. They can only be made smaller at a great cost.

I'm also thinking that it would be quite expensive to have custom lasers built. As for prefabs, I tried to buy the correct 10mw diodes form Laserex, but they didn't want to do business with me.

Really though, the 5mw is just as bright as any civilian legal red laser out there.

A business or hobbyist could get in trouble with OSHA if I he started selling military grade lasers to civilians. (A 10mw is supposed to have various safety
implements installed)
Agreed, the green would be a cool but a bit too much to ask for at this time. The red however, when the company was contacted earlier, they did not indicate that they required a bulk order of their product. In fact they thought that the 10mw in the "pencil" size would not be an undaunting task at all. Now the legal ramifications I cannot speak for, BUT if someone more knowledgeable than myself could put this together, I would be interested in buying a laser. I would think a strongly worded advisory and a buy at your own risk, we are not responsible for damages phrase worded into the product would keep the manufacturer ok (that is just what I think). This could be the ticket into making the FN laser as good if not even better than the real deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Promoted Pawn said:
That's good news. Well, I'll work out the exact dimensions and power requirements, and hand that info off to you.
Well I could certainly ask. If they state that this is a doable idea, and the cost is "affordable", what else would be required to complete the project? I mean, could the laser diode from the 5mw package just be left out, and the high powered one be substituted? Then comes the question, IF I can get a complete package with the high powered laser, will you install the parts or does the liability issue come into play here?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a lengthy discussion about the idea of making this 10mw laser fittable to the existing factory style laser system, the above linked company "thinks" this could be doable. What they need is for someone who knows a lot more about lasers and specs and such to call them or complete a form with the specs on it (link to that form is on the link I posted). I would volunteer for this job, but in the end I am more of a user with ideas, than a designer with the proper skill. But for the sake of throwing it out there, this laser I am told will work very well in daylight!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the price was right, I am sure all of us would buy one. I.E. why go 5mw when you can go 10!

·
Registered
62 Posts
After playing with my green laser I bought of ebay I wish I could have in installed in the right spot. I put on my tac light and laser and if that does not blind someone I don't know what will.

·
Registered
15,553 Posts
Be careful with the ebay green lasers (the Chinese ones). I bought one in Dec 06. I ended up selling it quickly. It was more powerful than what the auction claimed. And, that sucker was bright. It would light up a dark room. And, it actually hurt my eyes to look at the dot on the wall if it was closer than about 21 feet.

I didn't think it was safe and ended up getting rid of it.

It was visible at over 100 yards in the daytime. If U use it for outside range use, its fine. That's what the guy I sold it too wanted. But I wanted a laser that would also be good for indoor, homedefense use. And, that green one I had was way too powerful for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts