FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The other side looks fine. And thank you nate, that was a serious question on the other thread. Maybe recoil did or it didn't. Maybe shooting suppressed did it. I dunno, I'm not a scientist. But I'd think that being the most high stress area with that thor hammer of a bolt carrier flying around in there. I suppose the old saying is true....you give a grunt a piece of equipment, and he'll find a way to break it.

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
^^^^While I won't knock HD's product since I don't have any experience with them, the turn-off for me is the use of incorrect assumptions as a matter-of-fact---ie. the bolt carrier does not under normal operation--smash into the hinge plate of the stock---it comes awe fully close!-but does not 'hammer it' as described. I'm not saying it can't contact it, nor am I saying it doesn't at all, but not under normal operation. The spring end and spring retaining plate DO press rearward on the hinge/stock plate as designed. But in simple terms the spring is damped by the carrier. Think about it if it were to 'slam' into the plate you'd feel a definite and discernible thud when you fire the rifle, not the smooth recoil exhibited by the SCAR. Trying to suggest that FN somehow 'overlooked' critical function on so many aspects of the rifle, to justify the NEED of aftermarket products, is a cheap-shot and just plain lame. If one likes their products, do whatever you like, it's still a FREE country--just can't stand marketing bull$hit-- it's like the ole high school rumor mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, they do sell a little bit of fear. I do notice that while shooting suppressed that recoil is a bit sharper. So I could be getting more contact. I've got some friends that use scars professionally and the buttstock is the largest complaint. So I'll try this until the mk20 soba stock comes out.

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hmmm... this has me thinking... if the bolt carrier does impact the rear stock mount, why would I want it colliding with metal instead of plastic? I can replace the plastic easily and cheaply enough and return my Scar to working condition. But if I am slamming into an aluminum part that offers far less shock absorption than plastic, what kinds of other damage or wear would I be doing to the BCG and other Scar upper parts that might not be as easy to detect or as inexpensive to replace?
The bolt carrier slams into the recoil spring plate. Maybe buffertech should come up with a shock buff like the ones they have for the fal and ak

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.