FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hit the range today! Man was I pumped up. Got my target all set up and settled in behind my baby. As I did not bore sight my rifle I set her up at 50 yards. About 15 rounds later I was on paper and dialing in the scope. Moved the target out and busted out my super nice Match Grade Ammunition. First 5rnd group was 1.25 at 100 yards (25 to 35 MPH cross wind gusts all day). Second target on the board was also 1.25. Adjusted the scope first shot pretty much dead center then I had a perfect string about 6 inches tall. WTF?:Bubba: Moved over to my 4th target and let her rip. another string but balloonish. Moved to my 5th target on the board and the groups started to tighten up again. Cleared the weapon and checked the scope mount. The ADM mount loosened up quite a bit. OK re tightened the levers again and had another 6" tall string. I decided to head back home to my shop and see what I did wrong. I get home and check the ring nuts. Loose. Then I realized I really screwed my self on this. When I received the ADM mount it was completely soaking in oil. In fact the oil was dripping off when I took it out of the bag. Even though I wiped it down and cleaned off the rings with alcohol I did not clean out the threads of the oil.. Not sure what I was thinking but I definitely did not clean the threads out. So back home and I take the rings off. The thread lock was not holding as the threads had oil on them Then I see oil had actually seeped down and was between the rings and the scope. (remember that 6 inch straight string). Yup I screwed my self good. When I took the base off there was even oil on the picatiny rail from somewhere inside the ADM levers Im guessing. So I completely soaked it in alcohol and cleaned every nook and cranny out then blew it out with compressed air. I chased the threads with QTips dosed in alcohol and blew them off as well with compressed air. Every completely oil free. Re Torqued to ADM specs. Took the rifle apart again and cleaned everything. Not much really to clean as everything seemed Exceptionally clean. The barrel was cleaned and torqued back to proper specs and pattern. Everything is ready to go. I hope to hit the range and see how she can really shoot now that the scope is actually attached to the rifle correctly.....:roll:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yup, I know what you mean. I love ADM gear, but it always comes out of the bag soaking in oil. I use automotive brake cleaner now. I hose parts down with it and they come out perfectly clean. It's the best degreaser I know.

Nice work on 1.25" groups in that crosswind!

·
Registered
604 Posts
25 to 35 MPH cross wind gusts all day
I know that pain. Out here in southwestern OK, 15 MPH is considered a light breeze.

For degreasing, I always use brake/carb cleaner. Works like a champ.

Reactions: American Infidel

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have a suggestion for you Infedel. Don't leave those mounts and rings dry like that. After cleaning them with alcohol they are susceptible to rust. If you wipe them/dunk them in lighter fluid it removes gunk, but leaves a thin film of oil on every surface. You can barely feel it with your fingers, but its there. Do that on everything but where you're putting loctite on and you won't have the rust problems you could otherwise.

Also never use anything but lighter fluid or dry lube on the trigger mechanism (except grease where needed of course). CLP and other oils will become gummy over time in the trigger and cause you issues.

One last thing, carb and brake cleaners work great, but lube up after using them as they definitely strip it down to bare metal and lead to rust.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have a suggestion for you Infedel. Don't leave those mounts and rings dry like that. After cleaning them with alcohol they are susceptible to rust. If you wipe them/dunk them in lighter fluid it removes gunk, but leaves a thin film of oil on every surface. You can barely feel it with your fingers, but its there. Do that on everything but where you're putting loctite on and you won't have the rust problems you could otherwise.

Also never use anything but lighter fluid or dry lube on the trigger mechanism (except grease where needed of course). CLP and other oils will become gummy over time in the trigger and cause you issues.

One last thing, carb and brake cleaners work great, but lube up after using them as they definitely strip it down to bare metal and lead to rust.
ADM mounts are "6061 T6 aluminum and finished in hard coat type 3 Mil-Spec anodize."

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
ADM mounts are "6061 T6 aluminum and finished in hard coat type 3 Mil-Spec anodize."
Well since aluminum doesn't rust you can ignore what I said in relation to mounts. Of course it still holds for anything steel. Are all the screws and parts like the throw lever also aluminum? I would assume so, just curious.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about which parts are steel or not. They are all painted or Anodized at least.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:

Went back to the range today. Much better. I was still getting 1.5MOA at 100 yards. Frustrated I looked at the rifle again. Hmmmm. Bi Pod. I took the bi pod off and set her up on bags. Here are the results. First pic is with bi pod. Second picture without. I didn't measure the group with out a bi pod but as you can see all 5 rounds are touching. Looks under 3/4" at 100 yards. I will post, you decide.

withbipod.JPG with bi pod

withoutbipod.JPG without bi pod

The pictures are turned to the left. The orange should be on top. This group was aimed at the intersection of orange and white.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ammunition used was Southwest Ammunition 168grn Sierra Match King. This is some really nice ammunition.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Nice group! Especially the non bipod group.
I usually shoot from bags, your a much better shot than me. I would be very happy with that group.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I am very happy with this rifle. I owe my shooting abilities to an Old Army Vet who taught me competition shooting when I was back in High School. Back then we could take our rifles to school. Anyway he was quite the Sniper back in his day and taught us down in the basement of Monterey Police Department in there shooting range after school. This was all with .22 target rifles. Anyway I was very happy today for sure. The breeze was up but I do not believe it affected the group very much if at all at 100 yards. I will head out again next week. I want to see what she will do at 200 yards. I plan to zero her in at that range. Today I was in a hurry as my daughter recital was tonight.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
604 Posts
Good looking group. A tip for shooting off of a bipod: Place a sand bag in front of the bipod, then lean into the rifle to "load" the bipod legs. This will reduce the amount jump you experience from the rifle's recoil. If you're shooting while proned out on the ground, a bag may not be necessary since the feet of the bipod have something to dig into when you load it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Nice groups. I have found that the 168 gr bullets seem to group the tightest out of these barrels (both this and my HK's). Maybe its just the best ammo I shot out of them, but I'm pretty well convinced that for a competition I'd shoot 168 gr bthp if I am punching paper.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to agree. The Southwest Ammunition really grouped well with the 168grn BTHP Sierra Match King bullets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts