FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HK 416 design

So SCAR mk16 appears to be no longer in the competition to replace the M4, the HK 416 design is the only 556 that is in. What do you guys think about that? Why would the US Army choose a glorified M4 rather than a new design?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Why were the British still fielding Lee-Enfields in WWII? Because most large organizations are fundamentally conservative, and not in the good sense of conservative.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Why would the US Government choose a glorified M4 rather than a new design?
Fixed that for ya. The guys that are high enough in the chain of command to make those kinds of decisions have serious political ties... Trying figure out why the government does anything is mental masturbation.

Is the MR556 better than the Scar16? :( well uhhhh.... Depends on who you talk to I suppose. Its a robust platform and built very well but...

8.6LBS VS 7.3LBS. And the weight isnt in the same places so they feel very different in hand. The balance is different.

Any way we could all go in circles about which is better and get nowhere so I will submit that for weight accuracy and reliability I would choose the 16. 1 LB seems trivial until you carry the damned thing 15 miles.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Isn't this bit of news about a year old? Army canned that program officially last year w/o selecting a winner so it's not like HK416 won. IMO it was a loosing proposition to begin with: Army RFP states they want a weapon that similar to the M4 and uses the same caliber, then it's surprised when none of the proposed platforms excelled the M4 by a large margin. It's like:

Reactions: KameronTKelly

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
117degrees here today... I'll save a pound thanks :-D.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MR556 is not a true HK 416, it has spring loaded take down pins and non-chromed barrel. I might buy a HK416 clone, if they make a true clone.

Fixed that for ya. The guys that are high enough in the chain of command to make those kinds of decisions have serious political ties... Trying figure out why the government does anything is mental masturbation.

Is the MR556 better than the Scar16? :( well uhhhh.... Depends on who you talk to I suppose. Its a robust platform and built very well but...

8.6LBS VS 7.3LBS. And the weight isnt in the same places so they feel very different in hand. The balance is different.

Any way we could all go in circles about which is better and get nowhere so I will submit that for weight accuracy and reliability I would choose the 16. 1 LB seems trivial until you carry the damned thing 15 miles.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
The MR556 is not a true HK 416, it has spring loaded take down pins and non-chromed barrel. I might buy a HK416 clone, if they make a true clone.
Oh hell good catch. Its 7.85LBS so not that much weight savings after all. Still though... Love me some 16 and can never own a 416 so I'll never know... Regardless the carbine competition took a big nasty dump so this conversation is kind of shot anyway. :-D

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
A WW2 BAR gunner who fought in Pacific islands must be one hell of a man.
And people used to fight in metal armors with swords. What's your point?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh hell good catch. Its 7.85LBS so not that much weight savings after all. Still though... Love me some 16 and can never own a 416 so I'll never know... Regardless the carbine competition took a big nasty dump so this conversation is kind of shot anyway. :-D
For $3000, I'd like something as true as the original military design, and can be easily maintained in the field without a small allen wrench tool that get lost even on a table.

FNH did it right with the SCAR's, HK? Not.

·
Registered
600 Posts
So SCAR mk16 appears to be no longer in the competition to replace the M4, the HK 416 design is the only 556 that is in. What do you guys think about that? Why would the US Army choose a glorified M4 rather than a new design?
Because their dumbazz's you would think if your going to be fighting in a long range enviroment they would be carrying the Mk 17's. My long time shooting buddy just retired after 26 years in the Army and had two tours in Iraq when they first went in after Sadam. He has mentioned this to me several times that's the gun they should be carrying and be done with the antiquated m-16 platform altogether. He also tested and worked in small arms for the Army for many years and has fired millions of rds and built and taken apart a lot of weapons. So I tend to think he knows weapons inside and out. Oh! he also bought a Scar 17 right after Fn released them for sale and loves it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts