FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order mags for my new FS2000s (I only had Magpul and just sold them). I've read that the HK mags are the cat's meow!!!! I've also read mixed reviews about C Product mags.

I'm definitely going to get at least FOUR 30-round HK mags but really wanted about 20 mags. Soooo........are the C Products mags reliable or not? If I go with some C Product mags, I should get the steel ones rather than aluminum, correct???

I do want my mags to be 100% reliable but having $800+ in mags seems a bit much so "IF" the C Products mags are good ones maybe I should order 16 of them and 4 HK mags.

What's your opinion/recommendation or experience with HK versus C Product mags?

If I order some steel C Products mags, do I want the black or orange follower (they give me a choice)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I bought a boat load of the C Products. Theyve been perfect with 2 AR's but I havent used them with the FS2000 yet. I chose the orange follower for easier identification just so I would know its my newest mags.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Can't get replacment springs for HK mags. Once the springs go they're expensive paperweights. Go w/the C-Products Teflon Steel w/CS springs.
Tomac

·
Registered
150 Posts
i thought hK mags weren't proprietary , shouldn't you be able to swap the springs with another 30rd AR mag?

·
Registered
569 Posts
raven11 said:
i thought hK mags weren't proprietary , shouldn't you be able to swap the springs with another 30rd AR mag?
Just about everything about the HK mag is proprietary so AR springs won't work.
Tomac

·
Registered
43 Posts
i've got the black teflon coated C-products mags w/ grey follower,.. i am pretty sure they are the alloy ones, they work great in my AR & FS2K. i want to get some more that way i have some to stash for later (i do not really need them,. i have USGI mags comming out of my ears)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tomac said:
Can't get replacment springs for HK mags. Once the springs go they're expensive paperweights. Go w/the C-Products Teflon Steel w/CS springs.
Tomac
I have heard this all over the internet. I called two different HK reps on two different days, both called me back within 24 hours and assured me that mag springs would be available and for sale to the General public by the beginning of January 09. I will let you know how they deliver.

Cproducts have worked fine for me, as has any other 20 or 30 round USGI spec mag. The SS ones do not seem to hold their finish very well.

I have about 10 designated HK mags for mine, used and new, and have yet to have any problems with them.

A neat, but untested (for me) quality metal mag are the Cammenga Easy mags. They are smooth and feel like HK mags with no frills.

Every mag I mentioned, someone, somewhere has had complaints and will not use them. Mine have all worked, and I have used, refinished and new.

If you are having a hard time finding cheap metal mags, the price difference between the HK and formerly cheap mags is not so big, especially if you shop smart.

The parked steel 30 and 40's gave me problems. A few of the Taiwan blued steel ones I ordered have been out of spec.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't own any (yet) but have played with the HK mags at the gunstores a few times. and OMG they are like PERFECTION. Perfectly smooth feed of the non-tilt followers, no cheap metal scraping inside or sounds when you bang them. Thicker metal body than normal USGI mags too.

Sadly the price locally is $50 per HK mag, vs $25 for USGI.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently received 10 H&K 30 round mags and plan on getting more. They cost $39.95 + shipping from Botach (actually KZ firearms which sells on GunBroker and is part of Botach). I've always had good luck with getting my items from Botach. You'll read some negative things about Botach but all of my orders have been filled and shipped right away.

In fact, I ordered two Aimpoint H-1 sights and an EOTECH 517 via the internet. I normally call in the order to ensure the items are in stock so the next day I called them and found out that the EOTECH was not in stock. So I asked them to just cancel my entire order so that I could purchase locally since I needed the optics within a couple of weeks. They said they would cancel and then sent me verification of my cancelled order. Two days later they called me and said all the items were in and if I hadn't already purchased elsewhere they'd ship them out that day. I told them that in fact I was out of town and had not had time to re-order and that shipping to me was great news. The order is scheduled to be here Monday 12/22. I was quite surprised that they'd take the time to call me after cancelling the order and that they actually remembered my conversation about re-buying elsewhere because I needed the optics within the next couple of weeks. I really wanted the optics from them because they had the absolute lowest price and I got 15% off to boot.

Your results with Botach may vary but I have absolutely no complaints and will continue to purchase from them if their prices remain the lowest I can find.

Thanks for the news about the HK mag springs..........

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tomac said:
Tomac
+1

Couldn't have said it better. I've also heard this from other people as well who encourered the same experience. :?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Trendy FireArms said:
Tomac said:
Tomac
+1

Couldn't have said it better. I've also heard this from other people as well who encourered the same experience. :?
Really though, how OFTEN do your AR15 mag springs go bad though?

I've had ones from the 80's and still worked perfectly and I have had magpul mags loaded for over a year and it still worked perfectly fine.

I don't think with the HK mags the springs going bad is an issue we have to worry about for many, MANY years. Be it used or new.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello that's good to know about ordering from Botach. I have a couple HK SA80/416 High Reliability mags ordered from them as a trial. If all works out I will be getting more as their prices are very good. I also heard that there are several versions of the HK High reliability mags and that you want the ones manufactured since 2001. Apparently they are marked with a date code "CB". Anyone else heard of this? I bought a FN 30rd mag to see what it was like and it is also a very high quality steel mag along the lines of the HK.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MrNuke7571 said:
Trendy FireArms said:
Tomac said:
Tomac
+1

Really though, how OFTEN do your AR15 mag springs go bad though?

I've had ones from the 80's and still worked perfectly and I have had magpul mags loaded for over a year and it still worked perfectly fine.

I don't think with the HK mags the springs going bad is an issue we have to worry about for many, MANY years. Be it used or new.

Your right....its not 50/50 you'll run into any problems with the H&K mag, but I would hate to be the few that happens to encounter any run-in with those malfunction springs.

If you never have contacted H&K customer support, you should. Their attitude over the phone appears as if they're doing YOU the favor of helping you out when in fact it's their job to provide a positive experience for you when it comes to customer support. :evil:

If you never had any experience with the H&K Mags, this is just something you should keep in the back of your mind when you do plan to order these. I'm not implying H&K mags are pile of piece of crap in any way. On the other hand, getting your mags repaired or fixed is another story. It can be a big excruciating pain going through H&K customer support. :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
German perfection! No if's and's or but's, H&K mags are the best and worth the money. As mentioned shop smart and you can find them for reasonable prices. I have had and used one H&K mag for over 10 years/2000+ rounds put through it in 4 different weapons and it is still perfect. I recently bit the financial bullet and bought 6 more from Botach for $40 each. No regrets on the H&K mags for use in the FS2000.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any GI / GI spec 30 rounders that you can find at a reasonable price now. :D

D&H 30 rounders with green followers and DSG 30 rounders with Magpul followers work just fine. The black Teflon coating on both is superior to/looks nicer than the "dry film" coating on GI mags. :?

The D&H Mags have the same markings as the FN mags that come with the rifle with the exception of the floor plate. I wonder :roll:

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hoover 1 said:
Any GI / GI spec 30 rounders that you can find at a reasonable price now. :D

D&H 30 rounders with green followers and DSG 30 rounders with Magpul followers work just fine. The black Teflon coating on both is superior to/looks nicer than the "dry film" coating on GI mags. :?

The D&H Mags have the same markings as the FN mags that come with the rifle with the exception of the floor plate. I wonder :roll:

Thanks,

Hoover

And there it is. Standard NHTMG or D&H (the old LaBelle) or Brownell's mags are outstanding metal M16 magazines.

The problems with the HK mags are a KNOWN issue among people who are issued the HK 416. Standard M16 mag springs will last a long, long time, as has been stated, but the HK mag springs have been wearing out at a much quicker rate for the guys in the sand box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
HK mags spring issues?

Man all this talk about worn springs and mags failing? I have shot black guns like the AR/s, HK/s since 1980 and used countless mags, mostly USGI. I'm not doubting the springs can wear out and fail but I just have never had that much issue with mag problems. Now the guys over in Iraq put their magazines through allot more than I ever will so maybe they are wearing out springs much faster than I ever could. Still my HK mag is going on 10 years with thousands of rounds put through it and still functions perfectly. And it is the older SA80 style clip that the new improved High reliability Maritime 416 mags replaced. I can't even remember if it ever had a feeding failure, Hence my order for 6 more HK mags from Botach. Hopefully H&K will be selling replacement springs by the time I need them. By the way, C-products mags are excellent for the money or otherwise. I ordered a quantity recently based on what I have seen of them at the range/shoots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man oh man....the internet rumours continue

I have ordered HK parts for everything from my mp-5 to ar mags, to mags for my usp's, p2000sk's, etc.

no problems at all

as for the ar springs.........I have been using H&K ar mags for a few years...have yet to have an issue with any of them. They are the cats meow to be blunt. Lots of people *****......but mainly those that have never used them. They are superior to about every AR mag I have used

1 - 19 of 19 Posts