FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I own Scar 17 and love it!
But I keep hearing how great the HK mr762 is . I think the HK is heavy and doesn't seem any different then other AR-10s out there and cost almost $1000 more then the Scar 17 am I missing something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just another overhyped rifle, IMO.

Nothing special about it. Many lighter .308 AR/semi-autos are on par with its accuracy/more accurate.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I bought and used both and found the SCAR to be a better all around do all rifle - short and long range function, CQB, and vehicle exercise. The one gripe about the HK - is way too heavy for a 16" barrel.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
If you are willing to shell out for mr762 you might as well save a little extra more for a converted g36. Plus I believe you missed out on hk $200 promotion. I was going to get mr762 and mr556 but decided to pass more I read on them.

If you want another 308 in that price range repr has great reviews

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a scar 17 and was recently considering a MR762. I decided against the HK for a few reasons. First was the fact that for the money, it doesn't really do anything other rifles don't do. The cost really isn't that much higher than other rifles though. I was looking at the REPR and the SR25, both are on par or more expensive than the HK. I am no stranger to expensive mags, I have a UMP/USC and a Valmet. But I guess I have a problem paying a premium for mags that are part of a common (AR10) platform. Those takedown and pivot pins also piss me of for some unknown reason too. The trigger seems to get a lot of complaints too.

I honesty would probably go REPR if I was looking at an AR10. The SR25 is cool, but 4-5k for a DI AR10, it isn't that cool. I would, and did pick the scar 17. For the cost of the HK, I got a scar17, a TA11, and a Geissele trigger. If you were able to prove the MR762 superior, i bet it's not $1000+ superior.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The SCAR 17s and the HK mr762 are probably comparable in most features and performance capabilities with four big exceptions:
1. The HK is heavier. Something like two pounds heavier than the 17s;
2. The magazines for the HK are crazy expensive and subject to even bigger availability droughts than the OEM 17s mags (at least from my limited observation);
3. The HK barrel is not chrome lined (or otherwise hard finished), their reason why is a nonstarter given the role it will play for most shooters, and does not explain why the military version is chrome lined;
4. It is much more expensive than a 17s.
This is why I chose the 17s myself; I did look hard at the mr762.

·
Registered
974 Posts
James Yeager, love him or hate him, still runs training dozens of training classes for hundreds of people across the country per year and sees tens of thousands or more rounds fired per year from a variety of platforms. Often these are hard running high stress on equipment exercises.

To my knowledge he has never addressed the Scar platform which is his loss not ours. But at 3:35 in this video he trashes the AR-10 platform for being breakage prone when being run hard, another of many factors in my own decision to pony up the extra money for a Scar 17 and avoid the AR-10's altogether:

I would argue that as battle rifles go, the Scar 17 is in a top tier reliability, accuracy, low recoil, and low weight class by itself. Simply put, either want the very best or you will you settle for the rest of the second bests...

Reactions: TheBelgian

·
Registered
134 Posts
I watched that video last night. According to a comment he posted in that video, I take it that he doesn't care for the Scar platform.

·
Registered
195 Posts
1. To start: AR-10 is a specific pattern owned by ARMALITE, and LR-308 is a different pattern created by DPMS and is a more common. They should not be dismissed so quickly.
To refute the video above: That video was from 2012, so his comment about the "good" ones being so expensive you can buy a couple of M1A's is a little out of date. 2014 was a BIG year for the LR-308, much like quality AR-15's have come down so much recently. If works for your budget, and is from a good MFG, then you should be good to go. Research on your own and never take one mans opinion as scripture. Look at what other people in the industry are running. What do other trainers do? What will work best FOR YOU?
Yeager doesn't exactly exuberate credibility and professionalism in my book, but YMMV.
2. The HK is NOT an AR-10 or and LR-308. It's piston operated and proprietary. Looks can be deceiving. Is the piston worth it? Up to you.
3. The SCAR and HK both have a proven track record, and if you REALLY want one or the other, you should just buy it or you will regret it down the road. Simple as that. Here, the SCAR is the favorite, its FN Forum. Its extended use in SOCOM and other militaries speaks for itself.
4. I went with an LR-308. Does that make me a fanboy seeing my statement above? Hardly. I'd take a SCAR 17s any day of the week, but I have other priorities first.

5. I'm going to be "that" guy: Please research extensively before asking these questions, this information is READILY available with a quick search, you don't need to be spoon fed.

ETA: I just re-read your post, and noticed that you already own a 17s. I'm going to leave my previous comments up in case somebody decided to roll around and ask a "vs" question. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about how great everybody says the HK is, and enjoy your scar. If you want to pour money into something, Striker Enterprises can help with that. Just enjoy your gun!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I tend to take peoples feedback as opinions and information. What functions and works for my application is what I tend to go with.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
James Yeager, love him or hate him, still runs training dozens of training classes for hundreds of people across the country per year and sees tens of thousands or more rounds fired per year from a variety of platforms. Often these are hard running high stress on equipment exercises.

To my knowledge he has never addressed the Scar platform which is his loss not ours. But at 3:35 in this video he trashes the AR-10 platform for being breakage prone when being run hard, another of many factors in my own decision to pony up the extra money for a Scar 17 and avoid the AR-10's altogether:
Reliability issues might be inherent to the gas system on the AR10, especially high round count in between cleaning. Supposedly HK resolved those problems with their piston system. I agree with the general consensus though, MR556 and MR762 are too heavy out front, especially compared to the SCAR.

·
Registered
498 Posts
One of my shooting buddies has an HK MR762 that I have shot a little bit. I'm not an HK rifle expert by any means (I do own some HK pistols) but here are my thoughts/some things to consider.

1. It was a very nice rifle in terms of fit and finish, definitely HK quality throughout. Accuracy seemed very good but I couldn’t say if it was better or worse than my SCAR 17, seemed probably about the same.

2. It is much heavier than the SCAR 17, but when shooting it the recoil is softer than my SCAR 17, most likely due to the added weight.

3. The gas piston system is not adjustable. So if you plan to add a suppressor it will be severely overgassed. That will cause premature wear and tear on an expensive rifle, and I don't believe there are any good solutions to that right now.

4. The factory trigger was probably better than my SCAR 17 but it still wasn't great. It definitely needs an upgrade for precision shooting and the Geissele trigger for it is $465, even more expensive than the Geissele trigger for the SCAR.

5. The barrel thread is M15x1 which is not very common, most 30 cal stuff is 5/8"x24. So if you ever plan on changing flash hiders, adding a brake, or adding a suppressor, you are going to have a very hard time finding something in that thread size. You could always have the barrel cut and re-threaded but then you are in SBR territory just to change a flash hider. I would also imagine there are some proprietary tools required to work on it in order to remove the barrel for threading.

6. Proprietary mags are even more expensive than SCAR 17 mags.

7. I don't think the non-chrome lined barrel is a concern for the rate of fire most of us will put it through. It's still cold hammer forged, and normal .308 loads aren't exactly known to eat barrels quickly (like the 6mm rounds for example), so it will probably last 10,000+ rounds before you see any noticeable accuracy loss. If you plan on doing mag dumps though then yes a chrome barrel is more durable.

So overall I think the MR762 is a very nice high quality rifle, my buddy is a big HK fan so I can see why he bought one. But if you were looking for a high end semi-auto .308 that was different than the SCAR I would instead look at something like the LWRC REPR. It has an adjustable gas system, takes a standard AR trigger, lots of barrel length options, standard barrel thread, takes PMAGS, etc. Otherwise if you prefer lighter weight and modular nature, all still with very good accuracy and durability, the SCAR 17 is a winner in my book.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
My biggest issue with the MR rifle is the lack of chrome lined bores. The military counterparts have them. HKs excuse for better accuracy is just an asinine excuse to weasel more profit out of them and in return deliver a subpar product.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
One of my shooting buddies has an HK MR762 that I have shot a little bit. I'm not an HK rifle expert by any means (I do own some HK pistols) but here are my thoughts/some things to consider.

1. It was a very nice rifle in terms of fit and finish, definitely HK quality throughout. Accuracy seemed very good but I couldn’t say if it was better or worse than my SCAR 17, seemed probably about the same.

2. It is much heavier than the SCAR 17, but when shooting it the recoil is softer than my SCAR 17, most likely due to the added weight.

3. The gas piston system is not adjustable. So if you plan to add a suppressor it will be severely overgassed. That will cause premature wear and tear on an expensive rifle, and I don't believe there are any good solutions to that right now.

4. The factory trigger was probably better than my SCAR 17 but it still wasn't great. It definitely needs an upgrade for precision shooting and the Geissele trigger for it is $465, even more expensive than the Geissele trigger for the SCAR.

5. The barrel thread is M15x1 which is not very common, most 30 cal stuff is 5/8"x24. So if you ever plan on changing flash hiders, adding a brake, or adding a suppressor, you are going to have a very hard time finding something in that thread size. You could always have the barrel cut and re-threaded but then you are in SBR territory just to change a flash hider. I would also imagine there are some proprietary tools required to work on it in order to remove the barrel for threading.

6. Proprietary mags are even more expensive than SCAR 17 mags.

7. I don't think the non-chrome lined barrel is a concern for the rate of fire most of us will put it through. It's still cold hammer forged, and normal .308 loads aren't exactly known to eat barrels quickly (like the 6mm rounds for example), so it will probably last 10,000+ rounds before you see any noticeable accuracy loss. If you plan on doing mag dumps though then yes a chrome barrel is more durable.

So overall I think the MR762 is a very nice high quality rifle, my buddy is a big HK fan so I can see why he bought one. But if you were looking for a high end semi-auto .308 that was different than the SCAR I would instead look at something like the LWRC REPR. It has an adjustable gas system, takes a standard AR trigger, lots of barrel length options, standard barrel thread, takes PMAGS, etc. Otherwise if you prefer lighter weight and modular nature, all still with very good accuracy and durability, the SCAR 17 is a winner in my book.
That is true about the trigger and I should have thought to add that to my points of comparison: one place where the HK wins is the OEM trigger seems generally better.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I watched that video last night. According to a comment he posted in that video, I take it that he doesn't care for the Scar platform.
My guess is that James Yeager had not evaluated a Scar 17 enough back then to give an opinion on them. He liked the FN FAL so what possible reason could he have to not like FN's lighter, more accurate and more reliable next generation battle rifle? I don't follow him close enough to know if he has done a Scar vid or made Scar comments since then.

·
Registered
974 Posts
1. To start: AR-10 is a specific pattern owned by ARMALITE, and LR-308 is a different pattern created by DPMS and is a more common. They should not be dismissed so quickly.
To refute the video above: That video was from 2012, so his comment about the "good" ones being so expensive you can buy a couple of M1A's is a little out of date. 2014 was a BIG year for the LR-308, much like quality AR-15's have come down so much recently. If works for your budget, and is from a good MFG, then you should be good to go. Research on your own and never take one mans opinion as scripture. Look at what other people in the industry are running. What do other trainers do? What will work best FOR YOU?
Yeager doesn't exactly exuberate credibility and professionalism in my book, but YMMV.
2. The HK is NOT an AR-10 or and LR-308. It's piston operated and proprietary. Looks can be deceiving. Is the piston worth it? Up to you.
Well said. I stand corrected lumping all AR style .308's together and using "AR-10" as a generic term.

Of course I must ask which Armalite AR-10 is the real AR-10? The AR-10A, AR-10A2, AR-10A4, AR-10B, or the AR-10T?

To make matters even worse in real Armalite .308 AR AR-10 world, not all AR-10's interchange with other AR-10's.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It's actually twice as much as a 17. I've never seen one below 5 g, and the kitted one with scope, bipod and case is more like 6. It's about 2lbs heavier, which is noticable. Like most HK products, it does however exude quality . Haven't shot one, so can't comment on accuracy. For my money I'd personally go with a JP rifle, or GAP 10 if I wanted more accuracy. I'm actually looking at JP in 6.5c.

Hey guys I own Scar 17 and love it!
But I keep hearing how great the HK mr762 is . I think the HK is heavy and doesn't seem any different then other AR-10s out there and cost almost $1000 more then the Scar 17 am I missing something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I take it that unlike MR556 the MR762 isn't compatible with AR lowers? Otherwise that'd be an easy solution for the mag compatibility.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts