FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a set of these finally - not the wrap arounds, but the regular panels (I've had the wrap arounds years ago - made the gun too big for my hand).

These rubber panels are great. Makes the gun much more "grippy"

I really like them over the stock plastic grips.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hogue panels

my m-9 came with the black plastic and blue aluminum grips. i liked the feel of the aluminum but i just put on hogue wrap around with finger grooves and love them. do you know where can i get wrap around grips for my 1911 that are not tapered at the bottom so that they fill the gap at the extended magwell?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mark that thread as cancelled, as I managed to find a pair cheap on Ar15.com

As for your 1911 grips - I WISH they made a flat bottomed pair. I have a 1911 coming soon that will have a magwell - and I'd love to put the plain Hogue panels on it. But, Hogue does not make flat bottomed 1911 grips. Sorry.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, even though this thread might be canceled, I thought I would throw in my two cents. A while back I had a Beretta 96D, and I replaced the factory grips with ones by Farrar. I had used Hogue in the past on other guns, but decided to give Farrar a try. They worked great! I wish Farrar made a greater variety of grips for more pistols.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
devildoc said:
Pachmayr's signature grips. :?
I have them on my MC Operator - but they are tappered as well - not flat bottom. I have a thinner magwell on that 1911 to make it look okay with the pachmeyers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Another reason I don't like the Beretta's. I never liked the M9 and I just hate DA/SA pistols. DA only is fine, SA only is great, but not both in the same gun.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
devildoc said:
Another reason I don't like the Beretta's. I never liked the M9 and I just hate DA/SA pistols. DA only is fine, SA only is great, but not both in the same gun.
Not sure I catch your drift - I was addressing the 1911 above. What was the "another reason you don't like Beretta's?"

Anyway, I have gone back and forth on DA/SA and same action (Glock/XD) guns. On a carry gun, I kinda like the DA/SA - I like the tiny buit extra safety that 1st shot provides in case the adrinaline kicks in and you aren't thinking clearly.

I also lightened the trigger on my Beretta 92FS.

And, while I have been carrying my USPc45 cocked and locked since getting it - I've kinda been worrying if I will remember to uncock it if I ran into an upclose situation with someone with a gun... A situation where I might be lucky to even clear the holster with the gun... That quick... After that "close cal;" in a parking lot last week that I talked about in another thread, I started keeping my USPc decocked with the safety off.

If I need the gun at that close range, the 1st shot being heavier won't matter. Follow up shots will be lighter. And, in alternate scenarios, with some time available to me, I could always cock the gun.

I did some practice draws from my IWB holster recently, and I think I'm better off leaving the gun uncocked and the safety off.

My P99 A/S that I've carried for a long time before that is DA/SA (the DA is not that heavy on it, however).

I've made my Beretta 92 my night stand gun for now. I really like the feel of it with the Hogues. 1 handed, it feels pretty nice. I plan to pick up another Beretta as my next purchase too - probably a M9A1 (the M9 with the rail).

I've also been changing out the polymer parts for metal ones by buying on Gunbroker - 1 part at a time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I also like the DA/SA for the safety factor.
With the external hammer, you can always cock it first to by pass the DA

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
devildoc said:
Just got back from the range - I REALLY like this gun.

First time I've shot it with the D spring, new hammer and the Hogue panel grips (not the wrap arounds - just the panels). Gun is really nice.

I plan to pick up an M9 later this year, as I miss the straight dustcover design.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ship, I'll try to answer your questions. First off I happen to like pachmyer grips so if the can't be used on the pistol, thats a negative.

Second, as a corpsman I have covered more rifle ranges and pistol range shoots than carter has liver pills. The majority of the devildogs weapons are long arms. However, some also carry pistols along with their T/O weapon. Having a DA first round and the rest on SA is one too many things to remember when your life or someone else's is on the line in my opinion. Often when I was on the range the shooters would squeeze off the first 12 lbs DA round then fire 2 or 3 fly away shots due to the light trigger pull change. It happened all the time. In a stressed situation where muscle memory kicks in, you need to KISS. Now this is just my opinion based on what I saw because when I covered the old 45 ranges this did not occur.

Let my sum it up this way, what modern fighting rifle has a DA/SA trigger pull? If it's such a desirable thing, you'd think they'd put it on the main weapon, right?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
devildoc said:
Ship, I'll try to answer your questions. First off I happen to like pachmyer grips so if the can't be used on the pistol, thats a negative.
No, there are actually pachmeyer grips for the Beretta 92FS - I heard that they make the grip even fatter on the 92 FS, however - that's why I didn't get them.

But, he asked me about Pachmeyers for a 1911 earlier in the thread - I was just saying that they are tappered on a 1911 and won't work well with a magwell. But, they do make them for the 92FS.

I think there is a mixup, as someone else brought up the topic of 1911 grips - I think maybe you thought I was still talking about grips on the 92 at that point...

devildoc said:
Let my sum it up this way, what modern fighting rifle has a DA/SA trigger pull? If it's such a desirable thing, you'd think they'd put it on the main weapon, right?
Well, as I stated above (or on the prev page), my opinion of DA/SA guns has changed here and there. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I prefer consistent trigger pulls for every shot - and at the moment, the DA/SA is my preference again.

Remember too, that I have a "D" spring in my 92FS - so the DA pull isn't as heavy as the stock 92.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Plus, in a defensive situation, the perp will likely be very close, so it won't matter a whole lot. I prefer cocked and locked, but I do have the option of DA/SA if I want. That's why I like the USG FNP versions. You get a choice and it doesn't matter what your preference is.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
djv38 said:
Plus, in a defensive situation, the perp will likely be very close, so it won't matter a whole lot. I prefer cocked and locked, but I do have the option of DA/SA if I want. That's why I like the USG FNP versions. You get a choice and it doesn't matter what your preference is.
Well, as I prev said - I did the cocked and locked thing on my USPc45 until about a week or so ago - as per my thread aout a recent experience in a parking lot when I think I was about to get robbed... I thought about it a bit. I did some practicing at home, and I think that if the SHTF, and I was lucky to just barely clear the holster with the gun - I don't want to have to remember to also hit that thumb safety to disengage it for SA.

It's been years since I was super, super into 1911s - so the habit is something I've had to relearn. I decided to just leave the 1st pull in DA. When quickly drawing and shooting from the hip at a pretty close target, It comes out close to the same. The weight of the 1st pull isn't that noticble in such a draw.

If I was in a situation with a bit more time (maybe some nut coming into a restaurant to shoot someone), then I could cock the hammer if I could/needed to.

But for now, I've just gone back to going with the DA/SA thing.

My view 5 years ago was different than it is now (back then, I liked Glocks)

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Basically boils down to what you're most comfortable with. I've been practicing drawing and taking the safety off, but I initially left it in DA as that is what I was more comfortable with at the time.

Like you said, in a situation of a quick draw and shoot, you won't notice the DA pull.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ship, back to the original topic of grips, i found a solution. i found a finger groove insert and some flat bottom grips. what can you tell me about the D ring? will it work in my m-9?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes - the D Spring will work in the M9, Beretta 92 or 96, and even the older Beretta Cougars.

In fact, I am in the process of getting another D Spring, another metal guiderod, and another skeleton hammer for an M9 I plan to buy later this year.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
owingsjg said:
is that a kit or seperate parts? are you getting those parts from brownells?
NO - I bought my D Spring and hammer from a member at the Beretta Forum - but you can also get them here:

http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.htm

I am awaiting a metal guiderod and another hammer from him right now - as I plan to buy another beretta later this year.

U can buy the Hogue grips many places, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts