FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by an insurance agent way back to not say that the firearm is for self defense. Apparently, he said that this raises a red flag. He told me that saying it is for target practice is better.

My big question is, do you legally even have to tell them if you own a firearm when asked? You could have always purchased one after you obtained the insurance :confused:

I suppose that the same would apply when you get asked, "do you have a dog".

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you want them covered you need to. You do not have to tell them the make or model, or even tell them that you do own firearms at all.
Depending on how much coverage they allow for firearms, sometimes it is not even worth mentioning it.

I started a trust, and had the property of the trust insured. That includes homes and whatever other items are listed under the trust. I have
supplemental coverage that goes above what the insurance company initially offers for firearms. I have the type and value listed with the insurance company,
but the serial numbers are not listed with them. The serial numbers are listed on the trust. This way the contents and property items remained sealed.
The insurance company will not be able to sell your information to any vendors or third parties.

I have no proof, but I would be ignorant to assume that the Government has not already accessed the NRA and private insurance databases to
compile firearm data.

·
Registered
431 Posts
read the fine print. most home owners only cover 10k worth of firearms... you may have to get additional coverage if you have more than a few "deer rifles".

·
Registered
757 Posts
^^this. Take it from someone whose home was robbed/ invaded in the last year. Your concern is what is covered/ how much. A high value/ replacement cost policy is worth the few extra bucks. Jewelry definitely and most likely firearms will have maximum limits that could be a problem if you have over the limit. If they ask for other reasons than the value and replacement--ie they have commie restrictions against firearms(which I doubt) you need to find another ins. Company.;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I should have clarified. This isn't for the purposes of coverage, I'll go elsewhere for that. I know several insurance companies ask for liability purposes, I believe. As I said before, it's like when they ask if you own a dog.

Chihuahua = O.K., Pit Bull = red flag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts