FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda' smoked the FS2000 in an earlier post regarding it's tactical applications. Yeah I know, I called it a 300 dollar plastic gun and no, I have no idea where you can get one for that price unless FN will sell you one at cost. Seriously though, as a "tactical" weapon how do you honestly rate this piece? I tested one for a friend and found it's dead on accurate. The trigger is mushy with quite a bit of travel on both ends of release. Mag changes under pressure...and I mean if someone were shooting back at me, the pressure would be unacceptable. And I supose finally there is no good hold on the rifle except when your firing it. When you grab your FS2000, there's a geometrical quandry on exactly where to grab hold. It's fat and thick. Other than this. it is a cool looking little bull pup and I like it in spite of the shortcomings. My boss probably has 200 different firearms of all breeds and this was another acquisition for the collection. He has .22's through a Barret 50 SA and is looking at a 20mm anzio iron works. I am privledged to have an opportunity to test fire at his expense and report functionality to him. My price is to clean the arm for storage in a vast array of safes in a mansion of sorts. My own collection is much more humble...adequate, but humble. I appreciate your honest opinions and thanks for lending an ear.
Hill

·
Registered
156 Posts
hillmillenia said:
I kinda' smoked the FS2000 in an earlier post regarding it's tactical applications. Yeah I know, I called it a 300 dollar plastic gun and no, I have no idea where you can get one for that price unless FN will sell you one at cost. Seriously though, as a "tactical" weapon how do you honestly rate this piece?
I like it a lot. It is relatively short, balances well, ambidextrous, and is fast handling. As you mentioned it is plenty accurate. Although I know what you are talking about regarding its trigger, bullpup rifles generally have bad trigger pulls due to the long linkage between the trigger and hammer group assembly. The trigger pull is serviceable and makes sense for a firearm that was developed from a military rifle.

Regarding the mag changes, I honestly don't think they're difficult at all. It's simply a training issue. You hit the button with the side of your cupped hand, grab the empty mag, pull it out, and insert the new one. I used the rifle in a tactical carbine course and it was fine. The problem I had was with a couple of new mags where the springs were not broken in, but that disappeared.

hillmillenia said:
And I supose finally there is no good hold on the rifle except when your firing it. When you grab your FS2000, there's a geometrical quandry on exactly where to grab hold. It's fat and thick.
It doesn't need a carry handle. As many drill instructors have observed about M16's and FAL's, "It's not a purse..." -I just grab them by the foregrip or grab it at its grip and keep my finger off the trigger.

It's just different than what people are used to (i.e. AR's, AK's, etc.). The one thing that I wish they could incorporate is a last round bolt hold open.

·
Banned
114 Posts
BreakerDave is right as far as triggers go for bullpups. I'm not a fan of the FS2000 trigger but it's tolerable. Also I agree with him on the mag changes. It's a little bit different but not a huge problem. I like mine just fine it's nice and compact for tactical situations and handles nice. The thing I like best about it though would have to be the balance. When you pull the thing close in the weight is distributed nicely over your shooting hand unlike most other non bullpups where it's all weight forward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really can't see any reason to criticize the FS200 as a tactical rifle. It's accurate, reliable, and balances well. As far as the trigger goes, I've never had a problem with bullpup triggers. It's a very, VERY simple matter of learning when the trigger will depress and go bang. Personally I have never run into the problem of not being able to apply enough pressure to the trigger to make it work.

And if you're going into a firefight, I'd suggest holding the gun by the handle. Anywhere else isn't going to do you much good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Depends on the "tactical" situation.

I like my FS2000 a lot. I have an Aimpoint on it which is just about perfect. It is compact, shoulders well, and is just plain cool. The trigger does suck, however, typical of bullpups. Maybe I'm just spoiled by better triggers, but I doubt it. Mag changes are easy with a little practice as the release really is in a great spot. Regardless, for what it is designed for it works fine and it is still fun to shoot. That being said, if my life were on the line it would be just about the last one out of the safe.

Not to start an ammo debate, but given a choice in a short-term situation where I wasn't forced to hump 1000 rds of ammo I'd take a 7.62 every time. FAL, M1A, HK91 in that order. For HD the 12 ga would get the nod. If for some reason 5.56 was the only choice, I'm really fond of the Sig 556.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Honest opinion-

The FS2000s "tactical" merits:

If I were outfitting a swat team the F2000 would be my first choice for a .223 carbine. Ambidextrous, accurate, and compact, and even with a suppressor you can do a 180 in a hallway without lowering the weapon. There isn't any other .223 with all these features.

Now if I were outfitting an army, the F2000 would be on the bottom of the list. It's not bombproof durable. And its girth makes it awkward when it's anywhere but on your shoulder. And when something does break it's a hard weapon to Jerry-Rig back into commission, with all it's funky parts. Also, I think a proper combat rifle has bolt hold open.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I definitely endorse the FS2000. It's eminently reliable, compact, accurate, and easy to operate with very little practice. When you practice a lot with it, it's actually easier to shoot accurately and quickly with than a traditional style rifle. You can lean your forearm on your bent leg in a kneeling position, and it's as steady as prone. I've always been an AR and Kalashnikov guy at heart, but this thing has won me over.

I won second place with it of 29 shooters at the practical rifle match at our club with mine. It's got a CQ/T on it, which works extremely well.

As far as reloading, it's no slower than an AR. I had the 12th fastest reload time (3 mags, two rounds each). I did it in 14.99. The four guys in front of me are there by a fraction of a second. If I had the presence to use a single point sling instead of a two, I'd have done a LOT faster. The rear sling loop gets in the way a little in two point config.

My trigger has improved dramatically after about 1000 rounds. This is a piece that definitely improves with age. I hit it with graphite every few range days.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found another one. Yeah, I really like the CQ/T, and although at first I didn't dig it so much, it's really proved itself at being able to hit fast and sure on this rifle. The ability to dial down to unity magnification for close up work is a boon. My triple taps went off very fast. I used to have an EOTech and a 3x magnifier on it, but my conclusion is that the CQ/T is superior on this rifle.

I prefer the tactical to the standard model solely for the flexibility that the rail gives me. It doesn't look as 'spaceman' as the standard, but I think it's more versatile.

Based on how satisfied I am with the FS2000, I'm sure I'm going to LOVE the SCAR.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Take down pin from the other side... pushes out to the side you see in the pic.

zhur

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like that version. :?

·
Registered
980 Posts
QB 45 said:
What does that little gray button on the right side of the receiver do?
It's like a cross-slide that when pushed way in unlocks and allows you to remove the barrel assembly(upper) from the 'stock' (or lower).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the opinions. I haved cleaned the little pup up and am returning it to her owner. Takedown was a bit funny as there was no manual...but that gray button...pushed it through and it all made sense. Unusual design internally though I am used to the traditional arms. I do appreciate and acknowledge the merit of this and other forums when gathering opinions on a specific arm. What I find interesting regarding the FS2000 was that you agree the trigger is less then desirable and that you can get used to mag changes. The rifle is dead on accurate and handles extremely well when shouldered and at ready. I believe one individual was lauding the ambidextrous features of the piece and the ability to turn in a hallway while keeping the rifle shouldered. I supose over time the trigger and magwell both would loosen up enough to be less of an issue for me. The final analysis is if your in a controlled enviroment with access to a home cooked meal and a hot cup of coffee, you'll be alright. But I still couldn't carry one into hell for months of hit and run combat. And I remember once I couldn't wait for the future to get here. It still seems guys like Browning, Kalishnikov and Stoner still were able to get past the shellac.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts