FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Wow, I didn't realize there was an epidemic?

A chain of gun-shops that has built gun ranges across central Florida has announced it will no longer rent out guns in order to stop a string of suicides that occurred when customers borrowed weapons and used them to take their own lives.

Shoot Straight, the largest independently owned chain of gun stores in the state, announced on Friday that the company would end its policy. Khaled Akkawi, the store’s founder, said the economic impact on his business would be “significant” but felt he had no choice to make the decision, which he did last month.
We’ve had enough,” Akkawi told the Orlando Sentinel. “They’ve been increasing real fast and the one common denominator – everyone is done with a rental gun.”

Suicides committed with rented firearms are not tracked by any agency, although Sentinel research found that at least 11 occurred in the Orlando region since 2009. The problem is serious and common enough that Shoot Straight is not the only chain to amend its gun rental policy.

Read more: http://rt.com/usa/florida-suspends-gun-suicide-rentals-444/

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Since I shoot at Shoot Straight WPB and am more than aware there are some serious dolts that shoot there but it still surprises me that anyone would choose such a path to self destruction. Sad actually...

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I visited my parents in Cincinnati for the holidays a few years back the local indoor range had an incident like this where a woman came in and rented a handgun and took her life. In addition to the standard anti-gun rhetoric it spawned, rumors of Lane 5 being haunted also ran rampant. People actually avoided renting that lane for quite some time. Weird.

·
Vendor
1,763 Posts
Maybe they only need to restrict when people want to rent a gun, and only say they need 1 round to go with the rental. Also if they check if the lanes are available for less than a full hour. Maybe if they want only 3 min of rental, that is bad.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Wow, suicide a terrible thing* people that commit suicide feel they are so worthless no one will miss them. It is devastating to those left behind, especially family and friends that discover the dead person.

Deconstructing Suicide
is pretty good article on suicide. It features Thomas Joiner a professor of psychology at Florida State University, the author of Why People Die By Suicide. It's is NPR, but the article is pretty good.

* child molesters and sex perverts exempted.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have heard of people buying or bringing shot shells to a gun store, asking to look at a shot gun, loading it and offing themselves.

·
Registered
454 Posts
When I visited my parents in Cincinnati for the holidays a few years back the local indoor range had an incident like this where a woman came in and rented a handgun and took her life. In addition to the standard anti-gun rhetoric it spawned, rumors of Lane 5 being haunted also ran rampant. People actually avoided renting that lane for quite some time. Weird.

In what way was the lane believed to be haunted? Lol. Whispers of some lonely woman telling the people in the lane to shoot themselves? Bad accuracy? Just sounds like a bunch of silliness.

All I can say is that this is extremely selfish of these people. What kind of person would make a complete stranger have to deal with the clean-up? What if someone had their kid at the range that witnessed this? It's selfish and uncaring enough to commit suicide, but to do it in this manner is extremely so.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Totally agree with the opinion that these people who blow their brains out at these ranges are disgustingly selfish. Someone just committed suicide at the indoor range closest to where I live. These people who kill themselves are very lucky that the bullets that pass through their brains don't hit others in adjacent lanes. It's sad that people who would like to rent firearms at Shoot Straight for completely legitimate reasons will now be limited as a result of these f-ing retards.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
This happened here in the Denver metro area at the public range in Aurora last year. Australian twin girls rented handguns at the range and shot themselves - one died and the other didn't.

Sad...for a wide range of reasons.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There was that one a few years ago in FL, a lady and her son were shooting. She asked the guy shooting next to her if he could help her load the pistol. She then turn around shot her son in the head and then killed herself. Not even a month later someone else took their own life at the same range.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
11 since 2009, or 1 a year.......appears the owner's conscience got to him, rather than some so - called epidemic.
Probably the lawyers getting to him.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There was that one a few years ago in FL, a lady and her son were shooting. She asked the guy shooting next to her if he could help her load the pistol. She then turn around shot her son in the head and then killed herself. Not even a month later someone else took their own life at the same range.
Was this the one in Brandon? I used to live a few miles away from that one, and I recall hearing a similar story from a few friends that still live down there.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm pretty sure there was surveillance video of that one. Definitely was one of the worst range incidents I had ever heard of.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Oh boy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts