FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I have my druthers about posting negative feedback regarding such a large ammo manufacturer but here goes ....

I was involved with some training this past weekend with a local company ( Viper C-jet ) and during the training they had recommended NOT buying the Hornady Critical Defense ammo. ( ALL calibers ) and if you own some ???? throw it out or use it for practice ammo. Don't count on it to save your life.

Long story short...
This is a pretty good reccomendation from a group of instructors who travel around the country & train LE & civilians to give the CPL course. They train trainers !
Anyway the company had bought several boxes of Hornady CD and started to experience misfires. When they contacted Hornady ... of course Hornady had sent them replacement ammo.... those boxes also had misfires.
I'm not talking 1 or 2 rounds out of a box .... they experienced 4 to 6 or 7 rounds per box of misfires.
With that said, it may be well known information to the rest of you but I would not count on it to " save my life " !
Neither does Viper C-jet. They are LE and been around for 20+ years training in the US and Canada.

I wanted to share this with anyone on the board that wasn't aware of this !
I have no axe to grind with Hornady... but wanted to share !
This was training that I paid for and am hoping to pass along this info to other forum members.
This is NO Joke... or internet tripe !

Just for the record... I may burn down range some of the G2 RIP I have , to assure that is reputatable. We already know that AE 5.7 is highly questionable...
The AE is capable of saving lives as long as " your " training is " excellent ".... as always when in a crisis... you fall back on your training !

mjk1

Reactions: 00stormbringer

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I've heard the misfire complaint about Critical Defense once before, but haven't heard anything about it since then.

For self defense pistol ammo, I generally stick with Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
896 Posts
Was there any mention of production lots or dates? I have been looking at several different SD ammo choices for my FNX9, and just this past weekend went through 4 boxes of the Critical Defense, along with 100 rounds each of golden saber and factory gold dot (I have been using my reloads using the 147 gr. gold dot bullet). I did not have any FTE or FTF with any of them. All of the boxes were recently purchased from an online source, and were all date stamped 2011-2013.

My FNX has 1200 rounds through it now, and I have not had any ammo choices that have not fed reliably. Even the 115gr. stuff fed just fine even when the gun was new. I would think that before putting that recommendation out there they would test multiple calibers in multiple firearms each, but I would still not put out a blanket statement like that. They should recommend that people test the ammo they plan on using on a regular basis at the range.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a point , I do not know about lot numbers
But was surprised myself. As for me I'm just trying to be helpful.
Their original rounds and the replacement rounds all failed

Reactions: 00stormbringer
1 - 5 of 5 Posts