FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the new FNP-45. Got it home, took pics for my original post on the 45. Then went to the work room to disassemble and clean it.

Found a dent in the barrel. I can't believe it.

On the bottom of the barrel, just ahead of the camming lug is small flat pad, on this pad are stamped the letters "F" and "P". Seems they got the "P" too close to the centerline of the barrel and it printed through onto one of the grooves. I'm sure the barrel is now compromised.

I AM NOT HAPPY.

I guess I'll find out how good Davidson' replacement guarantee is.

The bummer is there are no more black FNP-45s out there, and I WILL NOT accept a duo-tone in replacement.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

UPDATE

22 Feb.

Spoke with Bob Ailes today.

Had a pleasant discussion about the issue, he seemed genuinely concerned.
FNH will issue a call tag and the weapon will be picked up on Tuesday and sent to the repair center.

He described the process of the marking of the barrel. The "F' is laser engraved, the "P" is stamped. He listened patiently to my description of the problem, and I feel the matter was handled in a very professional manner.

This is good.

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll call tomorrow at lunch time.

Have Bob's number handy?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Blitz - I'm having trouble seeing the correlation between the die stamps and the mark you show in the barrel. The mark looks to be in the barrel proper between the rifling lands, while the die stamps seem to be at the end over the chamber, which should be smooth and not rifled. Could just be that I'm looking at the pictures wrong. Also, it doesn't seem like die stamps could affect the inside of the barrel without totally deforming the outside shape of the barrel.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fabius, that flat is in front of the chamber area. I measured the distance with a caliper. The top of the "P" is indeed where that dent is. I realize the photo may be hard to interpret.

Because the "dent" is very polished and shiney it is obvious that it happened after the barrel was lapped, or whatever finishing process FNH uses, definitely an inspector's mark put in the wrong place.

I tried evey way I could to hope I was seeing things... But the measuments don't lie.

Now I get a chance to test FNH's customer service. I'm sure they will take care of it, but it's still a dissapointment.

Thanks for the number Shipwreck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think that the barrels have polygonal rifling, so I was thinking that it might be a tool mark from the rifling tool. Either way, you certainly want to get it checked out by FN and get a new barrel.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rifling appears to be standard land and groove to me. Not at all like the rifling in My Glock 36.

Just left a message with Mr. Ailes.

I hoping they can just send a new barrel in exchange for my old one, but I imagine the whole thing will have to go back.

Ah well, life is full of adventures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BARREL

I checked mine again after reading your thread. You are correct about the location of the FP stamp being directly above the flaw in your barrel. However, the cause of the "flaw" must be a result of the barrel mfg. process.
The stamp has a raised letter with sharp edges. When the stamp impacts the barrel surface, the sharp ridges of the letter penetrate the flat surface, the displaced metal of the barrel moves out and up around the stamp letter, not into the barrel cavity. However, if the flaw is indeed a raised surface inside the barrel, FN should replace the barrel promptly.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It's a good thing you inspected the barrel so closely before firing. You've got a good eye, thats for sure. Good lesson for any owner of a new firearm. Careful inspection pays off. Your life/limb/eyesight might possibly depend on it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TY B52U.

Being a mechanic by trade and avocation, and taking care of vintage racing cars, has trained my eyes to spot the little things, because it's the little things that will cause harm at the worst time.

I'm sure this will be resolved amicably, it's just a matter of the time lost.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The rifling appears to be standard land and groove to me. Not at all like the rifling in My Glock 36.
I agree that the barrel rifling looks like standard land and groove rifling, but FN describes the barrel as "hammer forged" and I've read several reviews that state that the rifling is "hammer forged polygonal". Like you said, it looks nothing like the rifling in a Glock barrel. Just thought that if the rifling was produced by hammering rather than cutting, then the mark might be from an imperfection in the tool used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts