FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a small town in the midwest, so stepping out the back door and popping off a few rounds in not an option.

I have to drive 20+ miles to the nearest commercial range to fire handguns.

There is no commercial rifle range anywhere around here. I had a membership to a "conservation club" that had good rifle and pistol facilities, but my member ship lapsed at a bad time for me economically and I have not seen fit to spend the $100+ a year to re-up, plus the new member fee.

Now with the price of fuel being what it is, I really have to think before driving the 40+ miles to go shooting.

Folks in my area bring up the idea of a range every once in a while, but no one can afford the cost of building, plus the gigantic insurance costs.

I want to shoot more, but damn, it's just so hard to fit it in anymore.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a great indoor range less then 10 mins. from my house, but to shoot rifles outdoors I need to drive 40 mins +

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 10 lane indoor range 11 miles away. A Class-3 SOT dealer owns it, so machine guns rentals are available.
Another Clas-3 indoor range is 20 miles away.

I also have the keys to the FOP and LEO certifying 50-yard outdoor range.

The perks of country living is a 30-yard range out my backdoor, and a neighbors trap shooting setup across the bean field.

with the price of fuel being what it is, I really have to think before driving the 40+ miles to go shooting.
With my PS-90 SBR and a few hundred rounds of 5.7x28, the cost of fuel is the smallest consideration when shooting.
$25 in ammo can take about 8 seconds, while $25 in fuel takes at least 90 minutes at 55mph.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Indoor pistol range - 15 yard max - about 7 minutes away. GREAT for summertime.

Outdoor range - where I go to shoot my PS90... That's about 25-30 miles away.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I belong to one indoor range with rifle and pistol lanes as well as rental gun's including full auto. It's about 15 miles from my house. I also belong to an outdoor gun club. Covered outdoor rifle and pistol. Rifle up to 600 yards. skeet and trap ranges, and a plinking area. It covers over 30 acres and is 20 miles away, all interstate.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I am a member at 5 or 6 ranges froim .5 miles to 30 miles away all types of shootion from comp to just privite fun and distances 7yds to 200yds and one open power line thats 700+yds

·
Registered
249 Posts
Indoor pistol range-$10/day is 8 min. from my house/1 min. from work.

Ourdoor pistol/rifle range(supervised)-$3/day 15 min. from house

Outdoor pistol/rifle range(out too 100yds, not supervised)-FREE is 30 min. drive.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Couple of indoor ranges about 10 min away (too expensive for my taste). Really nice covered public range for 4 bucks a day about 15 min away. And the vast BLM land of the west desert where no one will bother you, about 40 min away.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot of my back deck. There are 8 shotgun courses that I frequent within 30 miles. And a nearby rifle-only range. I don't think there are any indoor pistol ranges within 50 miles! I've never been to one!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Pros and Cons of indoor pistol ranges IMO:

Pros:
- weather proof
- automatic target posting (don't have to wait for cease fires)

Cons:
- Extra loud (echo), can damage hearing even with plugs
- Dark (in many cases)
- Air quality can be nasty when busy
- Cramped (at least ours are)

I think the outdoor ranges and rural areas are better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts