Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never had this problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear it on and off from people. So serioulsy how many people are actually having problems with this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I HAD this problem. I identified the mag spring (which is not replaceable) as the cause. Called Bob at FN and got replacements for the mags w/ worn springs.

Drew

P.S. NO, wolff does not have replacement springs. NO, FN does NOT sell mag springs seperately...its the whole mag or no mag!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Eventually - U someone may be able to figure out a substitute.

I'm using Beretta 92 springs in some old Walther P99 mags - but they are both made by Mecgar - and the design is pretty similar.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Never had a problem, and I leave my mags loaded.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welll, I'm just glad it's not a problem like the mag releaes problems the M&P has. It's a hit or miss I suppose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Shipwreck
I think I'll look into finding a substitute spring at the next gun show in my area...if there's a willing mag/spring sales person...

:?

Drew

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I think its more trial and error. You are pretty much stuck with Wollf Springs, unless you have someone willing to let ya try a spring.

Before I bought any springs to fix 2 old, old P99 mags someone gave me (they are from the 1990s) - I knew that they were somewhat similar to Beretta 92 mags - as I prev owned a Beretta.

I got someone who had replaced they own springs, and who had an extra one, to send it to me (very nice of him). That fixed the issue.

Now, the next time I order some more HK USPc springs (to finish swopping those out), I'll just buy 1 Beretta 10 round replacement spring myself.

So, mail order is the only way to do it. But, be on the lookout - and see if you can find any other gun's magazine that is very similar to the FNP. Then, go from there...

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 9-M had the problem early on, which I was warned about when purchasing the gun. The problem fixed itself in the first few hundred rounds, and has since been 100% in my hands (with the exception of intentionally induced stovepipes) in over 1000 rounds. A friend of mine managed to get a feed malfunction, but I have been since unable to duplicate the issue. For some strange reason my pistols always function perfectly in my hands, but always embarrass me when somebody else uses them, go figure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is this poll for what is happening to brand new guns?

Or, guns that have seen some use for sometime?

Do you have this problem?

Yes, I have this problem
25% [ 3 ]

No, I never had this problem
75% [ 9 ]

Total Votes : 12

In either case ... not to confidence inspiring to see this problem occurring in one out of every four guns. :oops:

·
Registered
154 Posts
ironman0311 said:
Is this poll for what is happening to brand new guns?

Or, guns that have seen some use for sometime?

Do you have this problem?

Yes, I have this problem
25% [ 3 ]

No, I never had this problem
75% [ 9 ]

Total Votes : 12

In either case ... not to confidence inspiring to see this problem occurring in one out of every four guns. :oops:
so you believe 15 people answering a poll on an internet forum constitutes a significant sampling of the total number of FNPs out there??? Statistics being used and anecdotal information from people on a website should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to researching a particular gun. How about talk to some gunsmiths? Jumping to the conclusion that 1 out of every 4 guns has this problem is way more than assumption. :-?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do a board and a Internet search and you will find that their are a raft of folks who have all sorts of problems with the FNP series guns. Sending them back to the factory for repair seems more common than any other new line of guns I can recall in the recent past. And, yet we hear nothing, zip, zero, nada, from the factory as to what they are doing about all these defects?

It seems that sticking one's head in the sand, minimizing the problems, and/or denying there ARE SIGNIFICANT problems with the FNP series guns at this juncture is not being honest with those who rely on these type firearms forums for reliable information.

The MORE we discuss these issues the better of the entire shooting community is in getting them resolved.

I love hearing about the gun's good points, but, I do want to hear about it's bad points as well. That weights heavily as to when I pick a firearm whether it's a just a 'range gun' or something I will want to carry and trust my life to.

I for one, still have not had many of my questions answered about the FNP's trustworthiness in that regard at all. As I said before, the silence from FNH has been as deferring as it is disconcerting.

So, yes we can discern a lot from a casual poll on this form.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, I don't won an FNP - but I have made some comments on some of the FNP threads here - I'll summarize once again - The gun has been out since 2006. A lot of these issues just popped up recently. And, I'm sorry - but the problems don't seem widespread YET. They may become so - we'll see.

But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. And, it seems to be some of the same guys reporting the same thing on multiple boards - so it just seems like the problem is beigger than it is.

I will admit, I am the admin here, and this is an FN discussion board - but, I'm not trying to put a spin on anything. I honestly don't think the issue is a widespread problem yet. And, Ironman, you seem to be pushing an Anti FNP agenda on several threads. That's fine. I just want new people coming here to put things in perspective and not see 1 neg post and run with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not anti FN at all. I have and have owned many BHP, FALS, and plan in the near future to by an FNH SLP and I'd like a 5.7 as well. (You will note I have taken Mossberg to task in my shotgun thread for stealing the SLP design)

I AM anti BS, Spin, and Stonewalling, about potentially DEADLY flaws in any companies products. And, since were throwing opinions around, Looks like to ME you are shilling for FNH and downplaying the negative reports. Which is cool in your position as a mod, and beholden to the company in some degree, IF we were NOT talking about something that may cost someone, or their loved ones their lives, as a result.

I still would like to know if they ever resolved HIS (Below) problem. So far, at least by his postings here, they have not? (Note the date)

And, in another thread I read that FNH is well aware of this problem.

If that is the case, why then, one wonders, do they not issue a recall and replace the defective parts???

With all due respect; YOU need to man-up and use the influence as the top banana here that this board allows you to put FNH's feet to the fire to disclose and resolve these FNP issues , instead of minimizing the problems and shooting the messengers.

Was this one of the FNH owners that you were referring to who has posted post his concerns elsewhere?

Quoted from the AR board.

"EvoPsych
View Member's Profile
Find Member's Posts
September 6th 2007 9:23 PM Post #25

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,387
Total Posts: 161
Online Status: OFFLINE

Well...Since this isnt a group buy thread....I guess it's safe for me to warn you guys about a potentialy serious flaw in the DA/SA FNP's Fire Control Group and Sear design.

We've been talking about the "Sear Tilt Problem" for a couple of months over on PS90Forums.

The "FNP Sear Tilt Problem" thread from PS90Forums (May Require Forum Registration)

The problem is basicaly this. FN designed the DA/SA Fire Control Group as an after thought. To appeal to the Law Enforecement Market.

FN deviated from the One Piece Sear found on the the Browning Pro and SAO FNP's and went with a Split Sear Arrangement on the DA/SA Fire Control Group. The Split Sear is only supported on the Sear Pin on the left outboard side, resting against the flexible polymer side of the Fire Control Group Housing. What this means, is the Sear Actuator, when lifting the Sear can cause the Sear to Tilt on the Sear Pin, retaining the hammer on the left outboard side, Causing an FTF or the trigger to go all the way to the trigger stop and requiring something like 20 pounds of trigger pressure to get the thing to fire in SA Mode. needless to say...This is a potentialy deadly problem in a Law Enforcement or Personal Defence Weapon.

My FNP9M Compact has been at the Browning Service Center in Missouri for the last Seven weeks with this problem and other occurances of this problem have been documented.

I'm a dyed in the wool FN guy owning both the FNP9M and the FN-TPS. I'm not one of the Glock, SIG or H&K is the only god guys bashing FNH, Because theres a tiny scratch on the finish. But I'm here to tell you there's a serious problem inherant in the DA/SA FNP's Sear Design.

I don't know if FNH is using the same DA/SA Sear design in the FNP45's or not, but I'd wait for the SAO with the Sear Supported on both sides on the Sear Pin....Because the DA/SA FNP's are a massive gun recall looking for a place to happen.

Nobody wanted the FNP to be a great gun at a great price more than me, but I cannot in good conscience, fail to point out this potentialy fatal design flaw, inherant in this weapon. "

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I've already stated - I am not trying to cover anything for FN - If there is a problem - then, it needs to be dealt with. But, I still stand by the fact that the gun has been out for over a year now - and up until very recently, I have read ZERO complaints. There have been a few - I'm estimating 10 -15 people complaining between all the boards that I have seen.

I wouldn't want to be one of them. My point is that it's a far cry from a widespread design defect at this point. Hell, look at all the problems Ruger had with the 345 model when it first came out. Beretta had a horrible time with the Tomcat initially, and I still wouldn't buy one unless it was an Inox model (because the stainless ones have a thicker slide). There are a few other examples. At this point, I don't think the problem is that big - at least not big enough to stop someone from buying one that wants one.

I'd be saying the same thing if I wasn't the admin here - so this is my opinion - not the sites. Also, if problems continue to grow, then I would caution someone from buying an FNP. But, we'll have to see.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ironman0311 said:
Do a board and a Internet search and you will find that their are a raft of folks who have all sorts of problems with the FNP series guns. Sending them back to the factory for repair seems more common than any other new line of guns I can recall in the recent past. And, yet we hear nothing, zip, zero, nada, from the factory as to what they are doing about all these defects?

It seems that sticking one's head in the sand, minimizing the problems, and/or denying there ARE SIGNIFICANT problems with the FNP series guns at this juncture is not being honest with those who rely on these type firearms forums for reliable information.

The MORE we discuss these issues the better of the entire shooting community is in getting them resolved.

I love hearing about the gun's good points, but, I do want to hear about it's bad points as well. That weights heavily as to when I pick a firearm whether it's a just a 'range gun' or something I will want to carry and trust my life to.

I for one, still have not had many of my questions answered about the FNP's trustworthiness in that regard at all. As I said before, the silence from FNH has been as deferring as it is disconcerting.

So, yes we can discern a lot from a casual poll on this form.
but to derive that 25% of all FNP guns have this problem when your sample consists of:

1. internet users
2. an open collaborative website that allows posting of pretty much anything with no fact-checking
3. an FNP board (can we say BIAS in the sample?)

is just 'highly illogical, captain'

It would be great to get some kind of official response from FN but I don't know that I would expect it to show up on a web bulletin board (no offense shipwreck). Add into this issue the fact that competitors hire/pay people to post false information against a competing' company's products. It all makes the use of forums like this for research less and less valuable.

What I'm trying to say is don't base everything just on internet forums...give them appropriate weighting in your decision..something like:
[.15(Internet Research) + .20(Local Gun Dealer Opinion) + .20(Range officer opinion) + .45(Gunsmith opinion)]

anyways, so far so good w/ my 2 FNPs and i'll keep looking out for the issues that have been reported by others and will post if i encounter any (which is a *good* thing).

·
Registered
3 Posts
How common is the slide not locking back problem?

I've owned a Sig P220, a Glock 22C, 23C, 17 and 27. I have never had a malfunction until I shot the FNP9M on the first day at the range. Two failures to eject and 4 X slide not locking back within 100 rounds.

I thought it was due to the spring being too tight so I stored the gun with the slide locked back for about a week before I shot it again. I don't know if this was the cause or not, but I shot 150 rounds yesterday without a single malfunction.

Great gun but I would not trust it until you've used all mags and cleared malfunctions.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Happened twice at my first range session, the recoil spring broke in after that and I've never had a problem since. Works every time.

·
Registered
249 Posts
To all FNP owners having this problem:

First, check your grip. Most peoples natural grip will have thier thumb resting on the slide release. Especially if your used to shooting 1911s. Some might think, even if they are resting thier thumbs on the release, they're not gonna apply enough pressure to effect the slide on an empty mag. You would be surpised! Check your grip.

Second, check your mags. Mags seem to be the biggest problem on this issue. Go through each mag, and label accordingly. Out of the three mags I have, one doesn't lock the slide back. If you find a problem mag, contact FN and see if they can help you out. I've heard they have good customer service.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's a great point McLovin, I very well could have been resting my thumb on the slide release the first time out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts