FN Herstal Firearms banner

How concerned are you with long term parts availabilty

761 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  devildoc 
#1 ·
When looking at the military styled weapons how much consideration do you give the availabilty of parts 10 or 20 years down the road? Im talking the weapons that arent at least say 95% compatible with AR's,Fals,Ak's etc. I wrestled with these thoughts before I dropped $2150 on my FS2000.

#3 ·
Moderately.

Most parts on an AK aren't easily breakable.

I expect to replace the bolt on a high usage AR, no biggie.

I do wonder about long term parts availability for certain rifles.

I bought a damn near new DAEWOO MAX-2, but it's a toy, not something I'd use as hard as my Colt AR's.

#4 ·
Not very. I know a couple of machinists that can make just about anything but springs. And springs shouldn't be too hard to find for many many years.

#5 ·
I do worry about available parts. I tend to chose firearms that are well established. 1911's, Glocks, M1, AR's, Winchester lever, and others are where I like to look, The PS90 was my first gamble. I must say that I truely worry about gun's that use alot of platic parts. I also have a buddy that is a machinest that can make anything out of metal, but plastic is a differnt story. If I think the price is right and the weapon will be around, I'd take a chance. There are risks in everything we do, and unlike wall street we done get a Ball Out plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.