FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my all black FNP9. I won't go into Where, $$$, here as I have Done that in another thread. I cant wait to take it to the range. I want and expect years of use from this gun so I want to be sure I prepare it correctly before blasting away. What should I be do before the first Bullet is fired?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Well this is more than what you asked for... but I tend to ramble sometimes. :D

I do not have a FNP9, but I will tell you what I do when I buy a new firearm. I read the owners manual first.

Before I shoot it I field strip it. I want to make sure I know and understand how it works.

The gun has probably been test fired so I clean the barrel and inspect the slide and trigger group. I load the mags that came with it and pop the rounds out by hand. Then I load a mag again and cycle a few rounds by pulling the slide back. This is definitly a time to be extra careful.

If that went okay I shoot it. I don't follow the "break in" guys. My break in is firing and sighting in the firearm and then taking it home and cleaning it like I do any other gun I own. I never clean barrels to a clean white patch. I clean until they look clean using a bore light and then I leave a coat of oil in the bore before I put it away.

Everyone is different. We use different solvents and greases, we clean to our comfort. I go with with what works for me. I oil and lube the internals heavier than most folks and do not scrub a barrel as much as others.

I understand why precision shooters and hunters clean their bores better than I do and I understand why our troops oil and lube less than I do. But I shoot paper most of the time and my accuracy is always good and my guns never fail to fire unless the ammo is bad.

What should you do before blasting away? Read the book and clean the gun. And clean it when you are done. :wink:

TA

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
ALWAYS clean and lube a new handgun before the first use. QUite often some companies use packing grease - or there may not be enough pil on key points.

Just get some breakfree CLP - It is a cleaner and lube. Wipe the gun down with it. Run a brush thru the barrel, then patches.

And, get a $1 tooth brush and use that to reoil the rails on the frame.

But yea, we all have our thing about how we clean a gun, and what we use to do it.

Personally, I rarely use solvent. Breakfree CLP works fine for me. And, its one of the few things I can use inside that doesn't give me a headache from the smell.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Militec1

I agree with CLP working well as a cleaner, but as far as lube goes, I have yet to find anything superior to Militec1. I used it in OIF and it was by far the best lube for dry dusty conditions. It conditions the metal (bonds with it to an almost dry looking finish) and lubricates more as the heat index goes up. CLP is bad for dusty conditions, but works fine as a cleaner and is also good for humid climates.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Clean it, lube it, shoot it, bring it home, clean it ,lube it, wipe it down, store it, smile a lot.
No need to complicate a very simple procedure. I did this with my first Colt 45 and I still have it since September of 1965. It has seen a few rounds and a few AO's and has never failed me. It is now waiting for my grandson to turn 18. Then he gets it with some other hardware and stuff accumulated during the Southeast Asia War Games.
Try to keep gun ownership simple. Find products YOU like. You would get 100's of opinions to any product question. Make it a lab experience and find out for yourself. It will be a lot of fun that way.
I could be wrong though. What do I know?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts