FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Doctor Optic mini red dot that I want to mount in place of the rear sight. I am going to have a base plate machined that will fit in the stock dovetail but need to know how to get the plastic cover off the slide. I can probably figure it out myself but would rather know from someone who has done it so I don't screw anything up.

Does anyone have detailed instructions or pictures of how to remove the slide cover? After I mount the Dr. Optic I am going to get a Jarvis barrel and AAC suppressor for it. This is going to make one hell of a bunny blaster.

MadDog :?

·
Registered
188 Posts
use the search feature. I think there is disassembly instructions on there. If not, fivesevenforum.net has them also. You might want to think about it though. There is a spring that the rear sight holds that is necessary for the gun to function.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
MadDogDan : To get to the rear sight

- Field Strip the gun
- Put the slide on the right side and push/punch the slide cover pin out from the left side
- Take the slide cover off from back to front
- Remove cross pin, firing pin, and spring.
- Remove chamber indicator and spring
- Remove rear sight with a punch and don't lose the spring under the base plate ( it'll come at you :-D )

Go in reverse to reinstall it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
impcmonk, thanks for the link to the picture thread. It was very helpful and the cover and sight were quite easy to remove. I found a machinest who will make a mount for my Docter optic. He charges $35hr and thinks he can machine the mount in two hours or so. Since the Docter can run 24/7 for a little over 5 years on a fresh battery I may use this set up for CCW. All of my SHTF SBR'd rifles have Aimpoints on them and I am used to sighting with both eyes open. The Docter mounted Five-seveN would be a natural for me. I find sight aquisition much faster with a dot sight and you have a better field of view for multiple bad guys and follow up shots.

I will post pictures whenever the project is done.

MadDog :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts