FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first FN handgun. Specifically a FNP-9 USG.

I don't know of anyone who already owns an FNP-9 and none of the ranges around me rent one.

I was wondering how the FNPs stack up with the other polymer framed handguns out in the market. The line up of the polymers I have (or had) are the Walther P99, XD-9 4", Beretta PX Storm and the GLOCK 19 (which I sold).

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Stacking up against the other polymers depends on what you're looking for.

FNP advantages:
- Price and Value
- Good Accuracy
- Good ergonomics compared to some other polymers
- Backed by a good FN warranty
- Designed by engineers who have developed combat proven firearms

FNP disadvantages:
- Newer model means there is a shorter supply of aftermarket accessories
- possibility exists of getting one with a few of the early production "bugs" (which are covered by the warranty)

Can't think of much more to offer than that. I really like the .40 version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not looking for all the "tacti-cool" after market stuff.

I am looking for something reliable and accurate. Ergonomics are important too which is the reason why I got rid of the GLOCK 19. It just didn't feel right when I shot it.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The P99 A/S in 9mm is my all time fav handgun. That being said - I have owned a ton of guns since my 1st in 1993, and the FNP is probably my 2nd fav. It shoots very well, and had less recoil than the p99 and my USPc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
geedub,

My experience with the Glock 19 matched yours; it just didn't feel right. I found the same to be true for the XD and to a lesser extent with the S&W M&P. No experience with the P99 or Beretta. When I wrapped my hand around the FNP-9, it felt like it belonged there.

Happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've enjoyed the ergonomics of the adjustable backstraps on the FNP9. The accuracy is definitely acceptable. (I'm sure the weapon itself is far more accurate then I am.) HK makes some great polymer weapons with the USP series, but they're much higher priced and seem to have more recoil. I find the FNP series to be more comfortable than the comparable Glocks.

I have a full-size FNP9 that I use for defense and concealed carry. It's a little on the large end for deep concealment, but it is possible with the right clothing. Another thing you'll notice with the FNP9 is that it is very lightweight. At first it'll feel too light, but I've found that it is light, but very stable and the recoil is great. The DA/SA is a pleasure for double-taps and failure to stop drills. I hope this helps.

·
Banned
93 Posts
For the price, the FNP is one hell of a gun. If you prefer DA/SA handguns with a manual safety it hands down beats the Glock in that regard, which is at the same price point.

Now if you want to spend a little more on a polymer pistol, then come over to the dark side... we have roller-locked rifles too... and cookies. :?

·
Registered
50 Posts
fnp9

I bought the fnp9 for myself and then found the fnp45 for a great price and gave the 9 to my wife. She and I both enjoy shooting it. Am thinking of buying another for myself. Picked up a 5-7iom. Enjoy shooting the 9mm nearly as much as the 5-7, the p45 grips don't feel as comfortable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
geedub said:
I was wondering how the FNPs stack up with the other polymer framed handguns out in the market.
First, I have an FNP9-M that I got awhile back NIB for $425 out the door. With 3 mags and the Shooters Pack, it was/is a great value. The "M" model fits my smaller hands better. I will now list the the polymer pistols that I am familiar with (have shot 25 rounds or more through) in order of preference:

Walther P-99 AS - I think it's the polymer pistol to judge all others by. I blame Shipwreck.

FNP9-M - Has a little bit of a polymer 1911 style/feel to it. External hammer is nice. It's got a solid no-nonsense fit and feel to it. Not fancy, but that's what I like about it. I take the Walther to the range. I take the FNP outside.

Taurus 24/7 Pro C - Great ergonomics and accuracy. Take down stinks though and mine had mechanical issues out of the box.

S&W M&P - Nothing to complain about; nothing to rave about either.

Sig 250 - Traditional smooth Sig trigger. Seemed top heavy though and felt like the slide belonged to a 226 and the frame belonged to a Sigma. Creeped me out for some reason.

Springfield XD - Does what it's built to do; holds a little better than the Glock.

HK USP - For the price and hype, I expected to love this gun. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Just didn't balance right at all for me.

Glock - Yeah it works and it's accurate. But so do/are all of the others above it and they all hold better, snap less, and are more enjoyable to shoot (except for maybe the HK).

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I plan on getting one soon once I get my h&k bug out of my system:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've owned a Glock, M&P, 1911 and FNP. Advantages of the FNP, in my view are:

I like the external hammer and DA/SA trigger with de-cock for carry, so I prefer the FNP over the Glock or the M&P for carry. You can carry it with the hammer de-cocked and either cock the hammer or go with the DA first pull depending on the circumstances. It is similar to a Sig, but better balanced (Sigs feel top heavy to me) and the FNP has a better DA trigger than the Sig.

Easiest takedown of any of the guns. Lock the slide back, pull the takedown lever, release the slide and pull it off. No tabs, sear blocks or other devices to play with.

Better grip angle, better ergonomics and softer recoil than the Glock. Similar to an M&P in that regard.

The feed angle is almost straight in, like the Glock's. So far the FNP has matched the Glock's reliability for feed and function. The M&P feed angle is steeper and the round won't always chamber if you slingshot the slide and ride it forward at all. The FNP will feed even if you hold the slide and just ease it forward into battery.

Much better DA trigger pull than the PX4 Storms that I have dry fired. Never shot a PX4, so I don't know how they compare on the range.

I haven't shot a P-99, but I have never been impressed with the reliability of Walthers. I hear that the P-99 is pretty reliable, though. The controls on the FNP are more natural for me.

The FNP is lighter, easier to carry and has more capacity that the 1911. The 1911 is all steel, durable and accurate, but it's not very convenient to carry.

For me the biggest advantage of the FNP is the external hammer and de-cock lever. The DAO striker fired pistols are like carrying a single action with no safety, IMO. The FNP is like carrying a DA revolver with all of the advantages of a high capacity semi-auto.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Fran said:
Check out this website, lots of good info.

http://best9mm.com/
Nice to see the FNP on there - but they are wacked for not putting the Walther P99 A/S on that list. My god - there is a Taurus and a Ruger P95 on that list (I owned a P95 for a short period of time this year - an OKAY gun and reliable, but it doesn't compare with the P99)

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Fran said:
Check out this website, lots of good info.

http://best9mm.com/
Nice to see the FNP on there - but they are wacked for not putting the Walther P99 A/S on that list. My god - there is a Taurus and a Ruger P95 on that list (I owned a P95 for a short period of time this year - an OKAY gun and reliable, but it doesn't compare with the P99)
This was posted a while back by someone else. And Ship, the P99 wasn't on there because of the $550 rule stated near the top of the page. I would like to see a list where price was of no importance.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Oh, ok. I forgot about that - I saw that site months ago and remembered seeing that then. Guess I forgot....

I have seen them for sale for under that at Houston gun shows on rare occasions...

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
IMHO, just go H&K or just go home! Although I WILL have a FNP something...have decided which to go with ATM

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Has anyone gotten over the HK bug? I don't think so. Once it bites there's no cure. I want an HK45 and HK45C, P2000 357 w/40 barrel, and the P2000SK version as well, P30L, USPC 357, USC/UMP conversion, SL8-6/G36 conversion, USP EXPERT 40, P7M8, P7M13, VP70, and of course an MP5.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, I prev had a USP 9mm - but the grip was too big for me - I have a USPc 9mm now and love it... But, while I wanted an HK45, it's just too darn much. I can't spend that much on a 45 unless it is a 1911

1 - 20 of 45 Posts