FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm not turning all P-Factor here........jhs is really gonna hate me now..... Terrific read, and well worth your time, if you bothered to get this far.....

How Every Part of American Life Became a Police Matter | Mother Jones

How Every Part of American Life Became a Police Matter
From the workplace to our private lives, American society is starting to resemble a police state.—By Chase Madar
| Mon Dec. 9, 2013 2:09 PM GMT

If all you've got is a hammer, then everything starts to look like a nail. And if police and prosecutors are your only tool, sooner or later everything and everyone will be treated as criminal. This is increasingly the American way of life, a path that involves "solving" social problems (and even some non-problems) by throwing cops at them, with generallydisastrous results. Wall-to-wall criminal law encroaches ever more on everyday life as police power is applied in ways that would have been unthinkable just a generation ago.

By now, the militarization of the police has advanced to the point where "the War on Crime" and "the War on Drugs" are no longer metaphors but bland understatements. There is the proliferation of heavily armed SWAT teams, even in small towns; the use of shock-and-awe tactics to bust small-time bookies; the no-knock raids to recover trace amounts of drugs that often result in the killing of family dogs, if not family members; and in communities where drug treatment programs once were

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
So, this being MJ, there are of course some disconnects with reality, but overall an encouraging piece, especially considering the source.

I don't understand why illegal immigration is not a policing matter, by illegally entering the US you are breaking US law, not just a "policy."

I also don't understand how you can write an article like that without also acknowledging that America has several levels of protection against tyranny, starting with the 1st Amendment and ending with the 2nd Amendment. Instead they continue to be cheerleaders for gun-control. The comments (and associated likes/dislikes) are encouraging though.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
So, this being MJ, there are of course some disconnects with reality, but overall an encouraging piece, especially considering the source.

I don't understand why illegal immigration is not a policing matter, by illegally entering the US you are breaking US law, not just a "policy."

I also don't understand how you can write an article like that without also acknowledging that America has several levels of protection against tyranny, starting with the 1st Amendment and ending with the 2nd Amendment. Instead they continue to be cheerleaders for gun-control. The comments (and associated likes/dislikes) are encouraging though.
Yeah, for once I didnt want to throw up on myself reading the comments. Still plenty of fools on MJ but the article was a nice piece besides the Immigration portion, I wish we put more money into that problem and ending the war on drugs would be a big help.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There's a lot of common ground out there people, not just the soft points our politicians pick to use for polarization purposes. I agree with the first and second amendment comment. Wish I was clever enough to think of it.

Reactions: monsterdog

·
Registered
397 Posts

Well said, I find myself agreeing with the article more than disagreeing (which is shocking to me), but it may mean that Government has truly gone too far already. When I hear many people from both ends of the political spectrum start to agree I believe that we have a problem.

What to do a bout it? The problem is that there are political forces (and money) invested in every issue the author wrote of. And so the busy body politicians are now writing stupid laws to APPEASE every whining constituent group out there. The MJ readership doesn't, of course recognize that they, the Progressives, are the main cause of the over criminalization. Instead they whine about it without really offering any answers for fear that they may be facing a mirror while looking for the cause.

Sex offenders, surely we've gone off the deep end when consenting teenagers have sex and it is a crime. That, to me, is a parenting issue and not a police matter. As for consenting adults, groping someone at a bar, deserves a slap on the face and being thrown out of the bar, not jail time, not sex offender status. How stupid.

I read today about a kid in middle school who took a picture of his two pellet pistols (I bet they were airsoft.) with the caption "ready for school" and posted them on Instagram or something. Anyway, the boy was arrested and jailed, facing disorderly conduct charges. OK, that was dumb, but for Christ sake, arrested and charged? I think that is over the top as are the reactions to a lot of what used to be dumb stuff that would get a kid kicked out of school for a couple days. Mistakes like that should become a learning experience for a kid, but they are becoming life ruining events because of the overreaction and criminalization of virtually every act that is not SANCTIONED by some group or political force.

The Gov. is now criminalizing what used to be just dumb behavior that was for the most part victimless or minor.

I hear law enforcement saying they need all the Military style gear and tactics because it is so much more dangerous out there, but the crime stats just don't justify it. Violent crime has been on a downward trend for the last, what, 15-20 years? So now they need more SWAT Teams and Tanks? I say stop funding military style weapons, tactical training, high tech surveillance gear, and armored vehicles. And instead, hire more uniformed cops and get more squad cars and put them on the street. Stop worrying about charges of racism and go after the gangs that cause a huge amount of the crime, not kids with pellet guns. In other words, stop going after the stupid small stuff and instead do the hard important stuff. If law enforcement has time to for arresting people for what is essentially SPITTING ON THE SIDEWALK then they have too much time and resources at their disposal.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seriously believe if we are going to turn this country around, we need reach out to the other side and find what we have in common. I believe that the problems that we have, the REAL, BIG, problems, are beyond party lines. Just like this, I KNOW there are plenty of things that we can agree about with liberals. And we need to do that. Because what is taking this country under, purposefully, is a wave of progressiveism. And that is democrats AND REPUBLICANS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts