FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this today, so figured I'd make a thread.

I've not sat down to really print a group at 100 yards or anything with my SCAR, but I got to wondering about accuracy and the max effective distance they can be shot at. I've got a little bolt action Mossberg MVP in 5.56, that I have used to consistently score hits on steel out to 700 yards with (this was on a very calm day, anything past 400 gets hairy in the wind). This little bolt gun easily shoots sub MOA with quality ammo. The furthest I have shot my SCAR was about 500 yards, on iron sights. My hit rate at that point was maybe 20%.

I know that .223 or 5.56 round is generally only effective out to maybe 300 yards as far as ballistics are concerned against perhaps a man sized target, but I'm curious as to how far any of us have effectively shot in terms of accuracy and consistency? Again, I'm not looking to make a long range setup out of the SCAR, just curious. I know the 17's are reportedly just as accurate as any given .308 battle rifle. I have shot my M1A out to 1000, and ranges out to 600 are pretty dang easy with that. I've heard very favorable things about the 17's in regard to some of these distances as well. but I digress.

How far have you pushed it (your SCAR 16)? What type of groups have you been able to produce when trying? Has anybody really checked in on how tight they can keep it at 100 yards? I know this is a short (ish) barrel semi auto rifle, not made for bench rest shooting, but I'm curious about it's inherent accuracy in regard to consistency hitting targets out to distances past a few hundred yards.

I guess I'm also partially curious as to how it would stand up to a bolt gun in the accuracy department. Knowing that the .223/5.56 round isnt all that useful past a few hundred yards, it probably doesnt really matter that much if there is a small difference.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My 16S is hard put to keep 5 shoot 100 yard groups under 1.5 moa even with 69 grain SKM's or tailored hand loads. The heavy trigger pull doesn't lend itself to small groups. Haven't tried shooting it at any distance greater than 100 yards.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
M855 penetrator rounds (federal) /\. It's accurate. I had good results at 300 as well. I think it was like 105 degrees outside :-D. I haven't shot the 16 any further than that yet but I will. That's all I have to add.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice shooting. Can't decide if it was a waste of a good 5.56/.223 round or a great use for an Apple product...:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
My optic of choice on my 16 is a TA31 ACOG with the triangle reticle, this set up does not really lend itself to precision shooting so I have not tried to really get a good group out of it. With that said I have no issue shooting a 4" X 4" piece of steel plate at 200 yards.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Groups touching 1/2 - 3/4 in at 200 yards with Black Hills 77gr .556 , Leupold 4x12 and Geiselle trigger. Yeah its worth a 1$ a round. With my ELCAN 1-4 and 62 gr Lake City or 55 gr Federal at 100 yards bout 2". Both my SCARs seem to prefer heavy ammo for precision. Both were improved by trigger uprgrades and stand up to any bold guns I own, but then again I don't own a TRG or custom gun. yet

·
Registered
397 Posts
I haven't been able to stretch it out past 100, but it casually shoots in the 1.5-2 moa range with crappy M855. I'm sure it will shoot much better with better ammo and more effort on my part.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I roll my own. Nothing special. 55grain hornady.

With my irons i can hit out to 350-375 yards regularly. I have no problems hitting 2 MOA steel targets at 200.

I gotta an optic on the way. Should be way easier now.....

·
Registered
876 Posts
My optical setup on my Scar16 is an EOTech 553.A65.TAN & EoTech G33.TAN. I'm getting 1-2" groups at 100 meters w/16" barrel. I'm getting 2-3" groups at 100 meters w/10" barrel. From 300 meters on it becomes just hitting the steel silhouette plates. Though your question was how far I have shoot my Scar 16....That would be around 800 meters at a plastic 1 gallon milk jug floating on my lake. It took 3 shots for me to hit it. Seeing the bullets hit the water helped me adjust my aim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.