FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering selling my FAL Para and buying a SCAR 17S. One of the reasons is that the FAL is just brutal on brass. How does the SCAR 17 do in this regard?

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
I haven't noticed any real "damage" to my SCAR brass and have reloaded them multiple times. Each AR10 model I've owned puts its own fingerprint on the casing but the SCAR doesn't stand out any more than any other AR10 rifle I've owned. Buy a SCAR. Sell the FAL and kick back and :<>:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It's the holiday and all and I don't mean to sound snippy but you're going to sell a gun (probably at a great loss) to buy a very expensive gun so that you can save on $0.10 worth of brass?

If you want to buy the SCAR, then by all means, but changing a gun because it's rough on brass?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine puts a noticable gouge on the neck of every case, dunno how it compares to the fal

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
The FAL dents the shoulder and neck significantly, coupled with drawing the case rim rearward. In short, the SCAR is a creampuff on brass when compared to the FAL.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My SCAR 17s leaves a fine scratch on the neck of every ejected case. It's not a big issue and usually
polishes out when you tumble the brass prior to reloading.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I haven't noticed any marring or denting of my brass. I'll have to look closely at the necks to see if their is a small mark.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No you don't sound snippy. I'm considering moving out of the FAL for other reasons as well. Modularity, a Geissele trigger, adaptability, easier optics attachment, ergonomics more similar to the AR-15. I spent 20 years in active duty and reserves and the AR feels more natural. I won't lose much money BTW, maybe a couple hundred, but for having a rifle and shooting it since 2008 that's not a lot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rifle brass

I'm considering selling my FAL Para and buying a SCAR 17S. One of the reasons is that the FAL is just brutal on brass. How does the SCAR 17 do in this regard?

Thanks
Scar is Gentle on the brass.Keep the FAL para.Granted the kick is less on the Scar,you cannot open a wood crate with stock on the Scar compared to the FAL para's stock.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Every once in a while my scar will ruin a neck but other then that just little scratches and dents are the norm? Hope that helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
SCAR17: Minor, but noticable "ding" on side of case neck. No issues reloading - I get 5 reloads with Aussie AFF-91 brass (annealed after 2nd reload).
FALs: Major "dent" on case mouth. ~30% or so (average) are terminal and not reloadable. This is after tweaking ejectors - was ~40-50% or so loss, before, depending on the specific rifle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When reloading SCAR brass, it is in relatively good shape and slides right into a dillon 1050....when I am hand loading, my CH4D has a bit harder time dealing with the case heads as they don't just slide into the shell holders....sometimes the minor burrs/warpage of the case head make it hard to move the cases around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts